Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times

Advertisements

Anybody care to tell which kind of service you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I prefer a liturgical service. Praying together, responding with others to certain parts of the service, seems to me to make the people more aware of being part of the congregation rather than just being alone in a crowd.

Even the people that insist on sitting on the back pew, will join in a liturgical service.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Balanced blend with mixture of music (current chorus and old hymns)

Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I personally don't care for the liturgical services. But I wasn't raised in them. My sister now attends an Episcopalian church and I have gone to a couple of services with her. It is beautiful, and I'm sure God is there. It's just not my cup of tea.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
I love liturgical services, and I love the idea that the form of worship is very much like the form of worship from the Second Century. A Christian living in Rome in 250 AD would at least know what was going on and would know that they are in a Christian Church even if they didn't understand the words or the smells and bells. I remember running across a description of a Christian service from that era and was surprised with how closely what they did and said then matches what liturgical churces do today.

I've also found the liturgy to be a great way to mark the turning of the seasons and the passage of time. I also like the idea that every church in the communion is studying the same texts that week, and that the sermons will be lessons about those texts rather than about the text that supports the message the preacher wants to talk about that week. It helps the priests and the congregants to read the texts in context, and often makes them confront the texts that are more difficult for 21st century Christians to hear.

I think it reinforces the idea that we are part of a communion of saints that includes Christians of every generation (which is what we're celebrating this week with Halloween and All Saints Day).

Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Well, Baptist marries Episcopalian here. I was confirmed in the Episcopal Church, and we attended there for about 5 years after our marriage. I never did epecially like the liturgy. It's kinda a "different strokes for different folks" type deal. I think the doctrine and "life" of a church is what's important. But just me personally... don't like liturgy much. My husband, being raised Episcopalian, doesn't especially like it either, but I know some find it very beautiful and comforting somehow.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Well, Baptist TURNED Episcolpalian here. They say that Baptist make the best Episcopalians. Something about being independent thinkers. LOL

However, some of our churches do go overboard with rituals and fancy-smancy traditions. We don't really need bells and incense. For very special services, they add an extra touch, but not as a regular thing.

One thing good about the liturgical service is that the attention spent on the church year forcuses the attention on the seasons like Advent and Lent. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the season, we tend to forget the important things.

I also so like the Sundays set aside to remember the special people in the Bible like John the Baptist and the Apostles.

With a liturgical service, you can ignore a terrible preacher. It's a short sermon!! AND the sermon is supposed to be teaching on the scripture for that Sunday, not just whatever his whim-of-the-day may be.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Well, Baptist TURNED Episcolpalian here. They say that Baptist make the best Episcopalians. Something about being independent thinkers. LOL

However, some of our churches do go overboard with rituals and fancy-smancy traditions. We don't really need bells and incense. For very special services, they add an extra touch, but not as a regular thing.

One thing good about the liturgical service is that the attention spent on the church year forcuses the attention on the seasons like Advent and Lent. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the season, we tend to forget the important things.

I also so like the Sundays set aside to remember the special people in the Bible like John the Baptist and the Apostles.

With a liturgical service, you can ignore a terrible preacher. It's a short sermon!! AND the sermon is supposed to be teaching on the scripture for that Sunday, not just whatever his whim-of-the-day may be.
Ha, ha, ha! You make some good arguments for it Padgett...especiallly the "terrible preacher" part!

Seriously, I think there are some things that are left out in non-liturgical churches about the "church calendar" etc. Some of that--I have to say, I do miss.

And there's nothing like a Christmas Eve midnight service ! Some Christmas Eves I have considered "sneaking over to the Episcopal Church..."

Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Balanced blend with mixture of music (current chorus and old hymns)
I assume a non-liturgical church then?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, Baptist marries Episcopalian here. I was confirmed in the Episcopal Church, and we attended there for about 5 years after our marriage. I never did epecially like the liturgy. It's kinda a "different strokes for different folks" type deal. I think the doctrine and "life" of a church is what's important. But just me personally... don't like liturgy much. My husband, being raised Episcopalian, doesn't especially like it either, but I know some find it very beautiful and comforting somehow.

My response is a combination of kaykay's responses. On the same page here! I left a liturgical church, but do miss some of the traditions and the celebrating of seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity