Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
So your saying you think you really were a Christian before you rejected Jesus Christ and became a UR? Is that what your saying?
Typical deliberate misrepresentation and misstating of his views!! He never rejected Jesus Christ . . . though he may have rejected YOUR beliefs about Jesus (pretty sure he does).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No that is not what I said. I am not a universalist, never stated ever that I was,I disagree with much of what they believe, but have no issue with them.
As long as you are following the "mind of Christ" it will all become clearer to you in time, pcamps.
Quote:
No I actually accepted the basic truths of Christ which are based on His character( the way,the truth and the life), seeking first the kingdom of God((within) and His righteousness, so that I would not just be a hearer of His word but a doer too. Quite a simple teaching to see and hear when you have had the good fortune of having woken up on the inside. I do agree with the universalists that Jesus Christ IS the Savior of all men, I also agree with them on other areas too. I also believe some universalists are fundamentalists too. I have had it(fundamentalism)lovingly chastised out of me.
Quote:
What I stated was who I was. You do not have to believe me. The person I had become through my fundamentalist beliefs I was completely unaware of. One day I woke up came to the senses. Went to the evening meeting, which was an open meeting where you could get up and freely share, I did, what I shared went down like a lead balloon. I also knew without doubt that I had to leave the fellowship. Told the. Pastor what I had decided to do, he said i was wrong, i said have you ever considered you could be wrong?, he said he was wrong many times but God never is( this is the hallmark of a fundamentalist),
The bold hits the nail on the head, pcamps. Every one of the fundies I have ever encountered has believed that they speak for God. You can not disagree with how THEY read and interpret the Bible because as far as they are concerned THEIR interpretation is what God meant. So to disagree with THEM is to disagree with God. THAT is true Fundamentalism . . . and it is exhibited here with alarming frequency.
Quote:
So the proper explanation of a fundamentalist would be someone who holds to the "original source" and accepts the "basic essential structure, function and facts" of something.
Therefore Jesus would be an perfect example of a fundamentalist in that He held to the true meaning of the faith.
Anyone who does not hold to the fundamentals of the faith have departed from what Jesus was all about.
Except that Jesus IS the original source and He KNEW the fundamentals . . . and He did not have a Bible to refer to either. He had direct access to the Holy Spirit of the Father. Fortunately, since His death and rebirth as Spirit, we also have direct access to His Holy Spirit (Comforter) within our consciousness and God has "written in our hearts" so we would not need anyone to teach us. We do not need to rely on the imperfect and unreliable words "written in ink" . . . Christ abides with us and we have the "mind of Christ" to read the words and properly divide them by WWJT.
Quote:
It depends on if you accept the true, fundamental meaning of a word or what some men have changed it to mean. Most non-fundamentalist prefer the meanings of man over truth.
You do not have any such options because NONE of the words "written in ink" are the originals. This is wy we must rely on the "mind of Christ" when interpreting them asking WWJT.
Quote:
I really do not think you can follow anyone and reject the basic teachings they give you. It does not make sense to claim otherwise. But then again God's Word does tell us we would see such in the last day's. People calling evil good and good evil. So I suppose these guy's are just a fulfillment of prophecy.
What you do NOT seem to realize is that what you THINK are the basic teachings are in fact the "precepts and doctrines of men" attempting to MERGE Christ's unambiguous teaching and example with the completely incompatible superstitions and savage beliefs of our ignorant ancient ancestors' about their War God Jehovah! That anti-Christ corruption is the apostasy that was warned of. The majority believe it today . . . and these ARE the latter days relative to the 1st century Christians. So it behooves you to consider who really IS calling Evil Good (because God did it) and fulfilling the prophesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually, liberal theology places the guidance of the Spirit over the bible (strange that you don't seem to believe the bible when it says that the comforter would guide into all truth, not into understanding the bible).
Same thing.

2 Timothy 3

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Quote:
The liberal holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God, but they also know that the Word is not the bible. (See John chapter 1)
Too easy to insert your own opinions. Too easy to let the world influence your beliefs. The Bible is the filter we use to discern the Spirit from the world.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
2 Timothy 3
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Too easy to insert your own opinions. Too easy to let the world influence your beliefs. The Bible is the filter we use to discern the Spirit from the world.
Your lack of faith in the Living Word of God is disappointing. The words "written in ink" are too unreliable. They are "useful" (profitable) for instruction in righteousness when properly divided. They tell us of Christ, how to identify Him, what His status is, and how to validate Him through Prophesy. But Christ abides with us! Do you believe it or not? God has "written in our hearts" so that we would not need anyone to teach us. Do you believe it or not? We have Christ's Holy Spirit (Comforter) available within our consciousness to guide us to the truth God has written there. Do you believe it or not? This means we have the "mind of Christ" with us to help us discern the truth by asking WWJT. Do you believe it or not?

Last edited by MysticPhD; 04-14-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
I'm with Mystic. A fundamentalist is someone who takes every word of the Bible completely literally, judges people on those words, and leaves no room for the things that we are able to discover and percieve in the modern world. I'm sorry folks, but there are just things that we now know that we didn't 2000 years ago.

Fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Same thing.

Granted that the spirit will lead us to understand what scripture is about, but what you are missing is that there is much more to "all truth" than is contained in the bible. For instance, it took 1800 years for Christians to realize that it is inherently wrong to own another person.

Yes, opinions will be expressed and to that extent liberal theology does lead to depending on human reason.....in testing the spirits. For instance, one might look at the bloody history of Trinity Doctrine and think that the fault is with the doctrine itself, but reason shows that the doctrine itself is not at fault, but the doctrine that orthodoxy in that belief should be enforced even to murder by people such as in Calvin's Geneva.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.
That's not entirely true. There is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Warren Jeffs' church). That's their official name. Yeah, it's similar in name to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but their beliefs are very different from the mainstream "LDS" Church. For Mormons, it's really important that people recognize that there actually is "a separate denomination of these people."

Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your lack of faith in the Living Word of God is disappointing. The words "written in ink" are too unreliable. They are "useful" (profitable) for instruction in righteousness when properly divided. They tell us of Christ, how to identify Him, what His status is, and how to validate Him through Prophesy. But Christ abides with us! Do you believe it or not? God has "written in our hearts" so that we would not need anyone to teach us. Do you believe it or not? We have Christ's Holy Spirit (Comforter) available within our consciousness to guide us to the truth God has written there. Do you believe it or not? This means we have the "mind of Christ" with us to help us discern the truth by asking WWJT. Do you believe it or not?
I have complete faith in the Spirit of God, who guides me in rightly dividing the written word.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I have complete faith in the Spirit of God, who guides me in rightly dividing the written word.
But appears to be limited to that role.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
But appears to be limited to that role.
I don't believe the Spirit within me will ever contradict the written word.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Granted that the spirit will lead us to understand what scripture is about, but what you are missing is that there is much more to "all truth" than is contained in the bible. For instance, it took 1800 years for Christians to realize that it is inherently wrong to own another person.

Yes, opinions will be expressed and to that extent liberal theology does lead to depending on human reason.....in testing the spirits. For instance, one might look at the bloody history of Trinity Doctrine and think that the fault is with the doctrine itself, but reason shows that the doctrine itself is not at fault, but the doctrine that orthodoxy in that belief should be enforced even to murder by people such as in Calvin's Geneva.
Scripture condemns slavery.

In addition, both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing” which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century. Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16). Similarly, in the New Testament, slave-traders are listed among those who are “ungodly and sinful” and are in the same category as those who kill their fathers or mothers, murderers, adulterers and perverts, and liars and perjurers (1 Timothy 1:8-10).

Read more: Does the Bible condone slavery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity