Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM

367 posts, read 370,425 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss anything dealing with Christianity, Christian beliefs, Christian doctrine, the Bible, or any subject that has ever been discussed by any Christian at any time.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-16-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
Let's discuss anything dealing with Christianity, Christian beliefs, Christian doctrine, the Bible, or any subject that has ever been discussed by any Christian at any time.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
One of the major areas that should be addressed when we say "Christianity" is the history of the church in its development beyond Acts. A little familiarity with the issues of Judaizers and Gnostics in biblical times and after, as well as the introduction of Greek philosophical thought later in biblical times and beyond would be helpful, imo. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-16-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
I tend to enjoy the bible and I feel that the message sings in my heart even if it doesn't to others or they don't understand my interpretation.

I have issue with the history of Christianity and many of its followers who tend to proclaim to carry the whole truth and nothing but, even those who claim to not be a fundamentalist but who project their views or opinion of the truth on others none the less. It irks me in real life and online and so I tend to avoid those people whenever possible.

I love Jesus! I love his words, his message, and at this point in my life I am constantly reminded to remember the words, "so do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself...today's troubles are enough" and I'm at peace knowing I invested myself fully in my daily life.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times

what is it you are wanting to discuss?
hell vs no hell
trinity or no trinity
freewill vs God is totally in control
churchianity vs christianity

the list is immense. Moderator cut: Orphaned . maybe if you narrow down what you want people to discuss.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-16-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Here are all the list of items that are debated in Christianity and if we could come to a complete understanding and agreement things would be way better for Christianity.

-Sabbath vs Sunday
-What you are allowed to do on the Sabbath
-Holy Feast Days vs Man Made Holidays
-Using Sacred Hebrew Names vs using the English names in our bibles now
-Keeping the Dietary Laws vs eat whatever you want
-Keep Torah vs The Law is fulfilled
-The Trinity
-Once saved always saved
-Communion as to how often it should be taken
-Tithing vs Offerings
-Head Coverings
-Hell for eternity
-The Rapture
-Baptism
-Dress Attire for church (dressy vs com as you are)
-Women should not wear pants
-Styles of worship (hooting and hollering vs conservative vs sit in silence)
-Women being able to preach
-The bible is 100% inerrant vs all the changed made to it over the years
-Views on Homosexuality

These alone can cause the multiple denominations as each one will think they know the complete truth.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
I would be interested to know what the general opinion of American protestants is concerning the early church fathers of the first three centuries?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I would be interested to know what the general opinion of American protestants is concerning the early church fathers of the first three centuries?
i just always wonder why they are considered church fathers, these days we have more tools to be able to study and understand much more than they did. the only thing they didnt have that is a stumbling block to modern christianity are all the traditions of men that have overtaken the modern church.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Well if I considered myself a protestant I would answer but I do not so I won't.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i just always wonder why they are considered church fathers, these days we have more tools to be able to study and understand much more than they did. the only thing they didnt have that is a stumbling block to modern christianity are all the traditions of men that have overtaken the modern church.
If I spent 3 and a half years with you, day and night listening to you teach don't you think I would be a better source of information about what you taught during those 3 and a half years than study tools 2000 years later?

Now If I am the best source on what you taught, excluding you, and I teach someone for a few years all that you taught me would that person not be a better source of information than study tools 2000 years later?

And if the person I taught about you then taught someone for a few years all that I taught them about what you taught me, etc, etc.

This is why those Christians in the first few centuries after Jesus who were taught by those who walked with Jesus and by those who were taught by those who walked with Jesus. There writings tell us exactly what the Christians in those day's had received direct from Jesus and His Apostles.

I believe by going back to the sources of information closest to the original the more accuracy you will have and the better you can peel away man's traditions.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
If I spent 3 and a half years with you, day and night listening to you teach don't you think I would be a better source of information about what you taught during those 3 and a half years than study tools 2000 years later?

Now If I am the best source on what you taught, excluding you, and I teach someone for a few years all that you taught me would that person not be a better source of information than study tools 2000 years later?

And if the person I taught about you then taught someone for a few years all that I taught them about what you taught me, etc, etc.

This is why those Christians in the first few centuries after Jesus who were taught by those who walked with Jesus and by those who were taught by those who walked with Jesus. There writings tell us exactly what the Christians in those day's had received direct from Jesus and His Apostles.

I believe by going back to the sources of information closest to the original the more accuracy you will have and the better you can peel away man's traditions.
While this is basically true, it is not as easy as this; there were already heretics in Paul's day. The so called church fathers appear not to have always been in agreement, though I haven't investigated their writings too close so far. How can we know whether the so called church fathers are rigthfully deemed to be orthodox? Justin Martyr for example believed that Plato and Socrates will rule with Christ about the earth for a 1000 years, today many people even deny the millenium, whereas few protestants would consider Plato and Socrates as prophets in line with the biblical prophets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity