Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Other arguments that differentiate same-sex marriage from plural marriage but highlight the similarities with opposite-sex marriage are:

• Plural marriages throughout history have often been abusive for women and girls. (However that's not to say that plural marriage could not work between consensual adults if there is a reasonable balance of power and all the tangled legalities and logistics could ever be worked out.)
  • From all the research over the past 40 years or so, it's becoming obvious that humans are born with their sexual orientation due to a combination of genetic factors and the hormonal effects on fetal brain development in the uterine environment. Whether it's heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual or somewhere along a continuum. I am unaware of any scientific literature supporting the idea that people are born to be polygamous.
  • If gays and lesbians etc are born to be homosexual, is it not in society's best interest for gay and lesbian couples to be together rather than trying to force them into unhappy destructive marriages with heterosexual people? Or force them to be single and celibate? Research shows that people are happier and healthier being in a stable marriage rather than defacto relationships or single. Why deny the health benefits of marriage to gay and lesbian couples?
  • Arguments that marriage is only for 'procreation' and heterosexual couples raising children fall flat when we look at the census data and find that only about a half of married heterosexual couples are raising children and about a third of lesbian couples and quarter of gay male couples are raising children.
  • Arguments that only heterosexual married couples can be good parents are ridiculous when we look at all the stats on divorce, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect etc with many heterosexual parents. All the research shows that children do just as well in all aspects when raised by gay or lesbian parents. Gay and lesbian couples will still be raising children even they are not allowed to be married, so why deny the children of gay and lesbian couples the benefits of having parents in a stable marriage?
  • All the research on gay and lesbian relationships show that they are not much different from heterosexual relationships. Often communication is better because there isn't the inherent imbalance of power that can be found between men and women in many heterosexual relationships. Things like household chores and parenting responsibilities are divided much more evenly between gay and lesbian couples.
Blind Freddie can see the huge differences between opposite-sex/same-sex dyadic marriages and group marriages.

So why on earth would anyone be silly enough to use the slippery slope argument of "if we allow same-sex marriage, why not polygamy?" when discussing same-sex marriage?
What I'm trying to say is that we are witnessing a moral decline in society. We see it every day on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
I note that you did not bring any religion based arguments to the table regarding polygamy.

Is there a lesson there somewhere?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
One thing just leads to another. Next thing they will be wanting is making it legal to marry your pet dog or cat.‘Marriage equality’ means legalized polygamy too: Slate columnist | LifeSiteNews.com
That's just silly. We all know that dogs and cats would fight for voting rights first.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that we are witnessing a moral decline in society. We see it every day on TV.
A 'decline' from when?

From when we had slavery?

From when men could legally beat and rape their wives?

From when women were treated as property by men?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Don't watch tv.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
One thing just leads to another. Next thing they will be wanting is making it legal to marry your pet dog or cat.‘Marriage equality’ means legalized polygamy too: Slate columnist | LifeSiteNews.com
Been there, done that. Had concubines and slaves too.
Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. 2She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. 3Jokshan fathered Sheba and Dedan. The sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim. 4The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah. 5Abraham gave all he had to Isaac. 6But to the sons of his concubines Abraham gave gifts, and while he was still living he sent them away from his son Isaac, eastward to the east country.

Genesis 25 ESV

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

203 posts, read 517,438 times
What is it any of YOUR business if I want to marry my cat! We both love each other very much! I want to marry my toaster too, do you have a problem with that as well?! Sheesh, what a prude!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
What is it any of YOUR business if I want to marry my cat! We both love each other very much! I want to marry my toaster too, do you have a problem with that as well?! Sheesh, what a prude!
When your cat, or toaster, can give legal consent to enter into a contract, then go for it.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Christians should not tell non Christians how to live their lives in any respect. WE do have an obligation to our brothers and sisters in Christ to teach what the bible has to say on how they are to live THEIR lives. Christian's wrong headed attempts to tell "the world" how to live does nothing but hurt the cause of Jesus. As far as the world is concerned we Christian are commanded to "Preach the Gospel" and to live our own lives as an example to the world and to each other.

It's only the message of the Gospel, that when believed in and trusted on by a person makes any difference at all to their lives in terms of eternity. In many respects, living in a very moral and upright society might be a hinderence to the furthering of God's kingdom. Many people who live what they consider an upright life have NO NEED of salvation. They have already saved themselves by their works.

Do you for a minute think that God views homosexuality as worse than greed? Of course he does not. Or gluttony? Or an entire multitude of sins we see displayed every single day in the church it's self??????

Jesus Himself said, "I did not come to condemn the world but to save it". So, you condemning Christians out there. You are doing nothing but condemning yourselves as hippocrits of the worst sort.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
How do you live your life? Are you moral?

If you are, good for you. If you aren't, time to work on yourself.

When two men you do not know, getting married in Podunk, New Mexico affects your life, let us know. (Of course marriage equality WILL affect your life. It will mean you live in a country where everyone gets the same rights as citizens. And that is a win-win. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity