Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

My church has been doing a series of Sunday School lessons on the end times or eschatology. What ever view you hold, it's nothing to be divided over or even debate. It's just that I am curious about anyone's reasoning behind the view that you have because I never really studied eschatology enough to know where I stood.

But after finding out that there are 4 basic views, and carefully studying those 4 views, I have come to the conclusion that I hold to the traditional church's position that has been held for about 150 years. Jesus will return to rapture his church or believers as well as ressurrect those believers who are dead; the Great Tribulation happens, then after the Great Tribulation, the church returns with Jesus as He sets up his 1000 year or millennium kingdom on earth, and finally the great white throne judgment happens for those who rejected Him and those who have rejected Him are casted into the Lake of fire. Then we who are believers will be in the new heaven and earth with God and Jesus forever. So I hold the pre-tribulation/premillennialist view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Yes the literal view of the Book of Revelation but maybe not the perfect time line of the wrath of judgments is the view which I prefer , as the millennial rule has not happened ...............There are some people believe it came and gone back at the fall of Jerusalem .................. See Jesus said He was going to take out the devil from the earth for the Millennial , which has Not happened in the history of the earth as there has always been evil , which is the works of the flesh which is under the authority of the devil and still in the earth today is, the number , the mark of the beast , and there are people who worship the image of the beast , little do they know, which must be brought down by heaven ...................So Jesus still need to bring renewal to the earth and claim His inheritance of the full authority in the earth ...................I don`t like the term eschatology manly because it is used by people of the occult which plot their predestination by astrology and numerology , and even proud people in the church of Christ use the term to pre-destination their position as God pre-ordained them to be in there in their spot, which sounds can over rule faith in what Jesus did .................. Apart from that the rapture I believe will only be for those who believe as God has a golden rule of `You don`t get unless you pray and believe in faith ..................... For those who know Christ , and do not believe will go through the tribulation and be martyred , ................... Also I do not believe that Jesus will come back in a human form and rule from Jerusalem temple , as I believe Jesus will come back but the vast people will not physically see Jesus , as Jesus has a golden rule ..`It is better to believe and not seen for faith `.................. See the Work of the renewal of the second coming of Jesus Christ will be a mess , like formatting a computer in spiritual warfare and removing the worship the image of the beast the name, mark and number , can be messy business

Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
I look at the symbolisms of the first fruit ministry that is Christ - the first of many brethren. If we see that all the lost were purchased and that creation is waiting for...

a rapture? NO.

For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.

The harvest is bigger than we realize...

Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Probably some form of Preterism. Don't really have any set end times view. Certainly not one based on a literal reading of Revelation since it has very little to do with the future. Revelation is a metaphoric/symbolic attack on the Roman Empire, and the version we have is not the original. Even the Catholic Church opposed putting Revelation in the Bible for 400 years. I also see no evidence of the Rapture.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Probably some form of Preterism. Don't really have any set end times view. Certainly not one based on a literal reading of Revelation since it has very little to do with the future. Revelation is a metaphoric/symbolic attack on the Roman Empire, and the version we have is not the original. Even the Catholic Church opposed putting Revelation in the Bible for 400 years. I also see no evidence of the Rapture.
The "rapture" is an invented concept that only dates back about 150 years, but if some Christians want to believe it that's fine with me.

Too many Christians get all caught up (Ha, no pun intended) in details that won't really matter in the end. The important thing to know is, as long as you have your relationship with God solidly in place everything will be fine, no matter when or exactly how Jesus returns

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 77,172 times
I believe in the rapture that Paul taught us about some 2000 years ago. Now I understand many people disagree about when it happens and where we go and other things around the event but you cannot deny that it has been an event that the church was told about during the first century AD.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

That's the "rapture"!

Oh and for those who like to point out that the word "rapture" is not in scripture let me point out that it is. Rapture comes from the Latin translation of the scripture where the Latin word " rapturo" is used in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 for the Greek word "harpazo" which the KJV translators rendered as "caught up". So, yes it is in there but in the English as "caught up".

Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I hold to the failed view. It is clear that the return of the Lord was to happen shortly within the generation of the disciples and it obviously did not - and since no believer is willing to consider this here you guys are still trying to figure it all out.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The "rapture" is an invented concept that only dates back about 150 years, but if some Christians want to believe it that's fine with me.

Too many Christians get all caught up (Ha, no pun intended) in details that won't really matter in the end. The important thing to know is, as long as you have your relationship with God solidly in place everything will be fine, no matter when or exactly how Jesus returns
1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up (harpazó) together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

The word 'rapture' comes from the Latin word 'rapturo' which itself is a translation of the Greek word 'harpazó' which means to be caught up, seized, snatched. The word rapture therefore refers to the event spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17.

Since 1 Thessalonians was written by the apostle Paul around A.D. 50-54 according to conservative scholars, and since Paul wrote about the event in which believers will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and since the English word 'rapture' is taken from the Latin word 'rapturo' which itself is a translation of the Greek word 'harpazó of which Paul speaks, it is therefore an error to state that the rapture is an invented concept that only dates back 150 years.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
I believe in the rapture that Paul taught us about some 2000 years ago. Now I understand many people disagree about when it happens and where we go and other things around the event but you cannot deny that it has been an event that the church was told about during the first century AD.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

That's the "rapture"!

Oh and for those who like to point out that the word "rapture" is not in scripture let me point out that it is. Rapture comes from the Latin translation of the scripture where the Latin word " rapturo" is used in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 for the Greek word "harpazo" which the KJV translators rendered as "caught up". So, yes it is in there but in the English as "caught up".
I didn't notice until after I submitted my own post, but we both said the same thing. You beat me to it.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My church has been doing a series of Sunday School lessons on the end times or eschatology. What ever view you hold, it's nothing to be divided over or even debate. It's just that I am curious about anyone's reasoning behind the view that you have because I never really studied eschatology enough to know where I stood.

But after finding out that there are 4 basic views, and carefully studying those 4 views, I have come to the conclusion that I hold to the traditional church's position that has been held for about 150 years. Jesus will return to rapture his church or believers as well as ressurrect those believers who are dead; the Great Tribulation happens, then after the Great Tribulation, the church returns with Jesus as He sets up his 1000 year or millennium kingdom on earth, and finally the great white throne judgment happens for those who rejected Him and those who have rejected Him are casted into the Lake of fire. Then we who are believers will be in the new heaven and earth with God and Jesus forever. So I hold the pre-tribulation/premillennialist view.
I hold the pre-tribulational/premillennial view.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-04-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity