Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM

304 posts, read 472,472 times

Advertisements

Doing some research I came up with these three conclusions about church stewardship and financing.

1. That in most congregations, the people spend more on cell phones than they do on their church.

2. That a lot more money, is spent by the average church family on cable TV or satellite TV than is spent for the churches programs.

3. That more money is spent on prescriptions and over the counter medicines than is spent supporting the congregation.

What is your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,180 times
It's none of your business how other people spend their money.
You spend your money the way that you see fit and other people will spend their money the way that they see fit.
What matters is what is in people's hearts and NOT what is in their wallets.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Doing some research I came up with these three conclusions about church stewardship and financing.

1. That in most congregations, the people spend more on cell phones than they do on their church.

2. That a lot more money, is spent by the average church family on cable TV or satellite TV than is spent for the churches programs.

3. That more money is spent on prescriptions and over the counter medicines than is spent supporting the congregation.

Given what inflation has been the past half century, this shouldn't be surprising. Alot of Churches also don't have programs that really inspire a huge amount of giving as well. Also, alot of people have figured out that the 10% rule that Pastors tried to enforce for years based on the Torah laws is not really scriptural under the new covenant or applicable necessarily to money...oh ok, People spending less for good church programs when they are available can also be blamed in part on moral decline...happy?!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:

Spiritual giving is a personal and private matter between the individual believer and the Lord. A believer will give as he is motivated to give. Giving can reflect the spiritual condition of the believer. But it is no one else's business.
Giving is a soul activity; the amount is never emphasized. Since giving commemorates God's grace, the believer must give based on the basis of his own soul and character. Giving is an extension of the soul life and must never be related either to the amount or to the stimulation of emotion (2 Cor. 8:5).

Giving must never be forced or coerced but must be the result of grace orientation. Giving is love giving, not law giving. It is a Category One love response (2 Cor. 8:8). [Giving; Gimmick or Grace, R. B. Thieme, Jr., p. 36]
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-16-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,432 times
In my opinion why people may be stingy in Church is because of the truly rotten economy, shrinking pay, and that they are being taxed to death by our giveaway government.

Most times it is said that 10% of a person's income should be tithed to the church. But 10% of what? If the government "steals" 1/2 or more of a person's income it is unrealistic to expect they can spend 10% of their gross income in church.

If the economy ever gets out of the ditch and people have more disposable income and fulfilling lives, I would anticipate the churches would be getting more money coming in.

As the old saying goes, you can't get blood out of a turnip.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
See many churches do not have a teachable faith in the prosperity message from Lord Jesus Christ , and will condemn the doctrines of prosperity from God ........... I heard many Churches which say God will not bless anyone when they pay tithes , they will have to give over and above the tithes for any faith for expectations , and many people who pay the tithes and no offering will not expect any blessing from God and God will not give blessing in no expectations ...............See many churches close their doors because the income from Charity is not there......... Where if you ignore the false teaching of tithes and expect God to bless you for the tithes or even a fifth of the income , God will bless the offering and give prosperity for a fifth .......... See giving offering is a Worship of the love or charity which the Lord will honor , and Christians are not under the law , but God will honor the charity by the point of contact and bless the giver by the Words Jesus declared in His Word ..............See believing the Word of God In legalism for His blessing in faith , God will honor for believing His Word , and the charity given in faith ................ Just as a believer give charity with no legalism , to the worship of Charity for the spirit and truth God will honor , and bless the believer ................ Still many people do not give because faith is to hard and the expectation to hard , so they give pocket change and no belief ..... So how do leader change the church into believers , ? ...Well they teach people how to love God and teach the prosperity message with truth , and a must Give weekly witnesses of the miracles from God and thank the Lord for His miracles of blessing ....

Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
the congregation.

If that's true, nobodybut the televangelists get much of a "take."

Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:

My take is that if people need to spend money on medicine they're sick and looking to feel better. Why on earth would you compare cable TV with Grandma's heart pills?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
I don't a cell, I have not had cable in over 10 yrs. and I believe that most healing is our nutrition. God put herbs for our healing. So I don't take meds either.
But, I don't go to church either. So it's a win win situation for me.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:

My take?

I don't concern myself with what other people do with their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity