Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 11:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Never happen. I would just desolve the Corporation and open a new one.
Directors and officers can't hide behind "the corporate veil".

Old 11-23-2013, 11:51 AM

668 posts, read 690,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Directors and officers can't hide behind "the corporate veil".
That's why I own nothing in my name. I have a good lawyer!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM

269 posts, read 208,221 times
Quote:
It's not refusing to do business with a couple. It's refusing to do something that is part of a sinful act such as a gay marriage.
you need to first prove that gay marriage is a moral wrong objectively in order to justify your discrimination....can you?
the assertions in the bible that you may rely on is not objective proof.

Quote:
If I had a retail business I would not have a problem with anyone coming in and buying my products. I don't see anything wrong with an african american man and woman getting married. It's not a sin.
so what is the difference between the african american couple and the same sex couple that you can objectively say X is the justification for my discrimination?

but what i find interesting is that you continue to dodge...matthew 5
give to those that ask of you...is being a christian supposed to be easy or hard...is it harder for you to
turn down a same sex couple than it would be to not be discriminating towards them..

what is the entire point of faith if it's only used to justify your bias...
seems awfully easy to be a christian...

Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
you need to first prove that gay marriage is a moral wrong objectively in order to justify your discrimination....can you?
the assertions in the bible that you may rely on is not objective proof.
I believe it so I live by it. I don't have to justify that to anyone but God. Nor would I tell a gay couple that was the reason for my not taking their job.

Quote:
so what is the difference between the african american couple and the same sex couple that you can objectively say X is the justification for my discrimination?
Simple. I know that a man and woman getting married is not a sin in itself. I know two people of the same sex is. It's between me and God. You don't have to approve.

Quote:
but what i find interesting is that you continue to dodge...matthew 5
give to those that ask of you...is being a christian supposed to be easy or hard...is it harder for you to
turn down a same sex couple than it would be to not be discriminating towards them..

what is the entire point of faith if it's only used to justify your bias...
seems awfully easy to be a christian...
What you're using from Jesus has nothing to do with doing work for someone. It has to do with charity for those in need.

My faith is not to justify my bias. My bias is based on my faith just as everyone else's is. Your bias is based on your faith (what you believe). No difference between us on that point at all.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
That's why I own nothing in my name. I have a good lawyer!
You may not. Wonderful. That protects you from liability. I know all about that.

It does not protect you from court ordered fine, restitution it or in the extreme, incarceration.

Bernie Ebbers and Ken Lay had teams of lawyers. It didn't help them.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:02 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:
I have a right to make a living and should not have to give up my other rights to do so. In fact I won't. I will run my business and not hire or do business with anyone I believe to be homosexual or promoting any other sin. It is my right and I shall not give it up without a fight. Come try and make me.
You have no right to make a living. You have the opportunity to do so by participating in goods/services markets and labor markets. But not a right. Workers can't be required to apply to work for you, nor can customers be required to buy the goods/services you offer for sale. You have no right to a business license, nor any guarantee that your business will have gross profits, let alone net profits.

The special right that you're (ironically) demanding is really a priceable option. You're looking to purchase an option to discriminate against workers and customers on the basis of sexual orientation. The counterparty would be the government. The price of this option would be the present value of the legal costs and damages awarded to those who can successfully prove illegal discrimination by you on the basis of their sexual orientation. That's a value that can be calculated, based on prior court cases and damage awards.

If your business can afford to pay for that option for each time you discriminate, then go ahead, discriminate away and be prepared to write those checks to the plaintiffs and your lawyers. And be prepared to see that expense line on your P&L rise. You are perfectly free to run your business as inefficiently as you choose. Your competitors certainly won't stand in your way.

You can't eat your cake and have it, too.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
You have no right to make a living.

You can't eat your cake and have it, too.
Yes I do have a right to earn my living as I see fit. And I can do as I have stated. Just watch me.

By the way. The sin of choosing to be a homosexual does not have special rights in my state yet. I don't care if they do. I will choose the work I do any way I want to and no one can stop me.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I believe it so I live by it. I don't have to justify that to anyone but God. Nor would I tell a gay couple that was the reason for my not taking their job.

Simple. I know that a man and woman getting married is not a sin in itself. I know two people of the same sex is. It's between me and God. You don't have to approve.

My faith is not to justify my bias. My bias is based on my faith just as everyone else's is. Your bias is based on your faith (what you believe). No difference between us on that point at all.
so you don't want to be taken seriously when being fined for your discrimination...cool

Quote:
What you're using from Jesus has nothing to do with doing work for someone. It has to do with charity for those in need.
whatever makes you feel better...

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
so you don't want to be taken seriously when being fined for your discrimination...cool
I don't care if you take me seriously or not. And I will never be fined for discrimination. I don't discriminate. I just choose who I work for and not. It's my right.

This has been fun but I have other things to do than play games. Good luck with your views. I know mine are right and shall endure forever. Good-day!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you take me seriously or not. And I will never be fined for discrimination.
never say never...

and personally i will be extremely happy when you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity