Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 AM

206 posts, read 528,911 times

Advertisements

I have been married to my husband for many years. My brother in law is a habitual cheater, he was with the mother of his kids for over ten years. He decided to marry his long time girlfriend after many years of shacking up, however he continued to cheat on her. A year ago he finally decided to leave her for a woman he met on his job. He moved out of the house with his wife and rented an apartment with his new girlfriend. He loves to invite my husband and I over for family stays. I really don't agree with the situation of staying at their home. My husband thinks it's his life and my husband is ok with staying at him and the girlfriends house, while me as a Christian feel as though it is very uncomfortable for me, due to the fact that his brother and this lady is living in an adulterous situation. What do my fellow Christians here on city data think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Two separate issues: your BIL's situation and you staying in his home.

To the BIL's situation, I would agree that it's immoral and wrong. However, it's his life. He gets to make his own choices.

As to staying with them, that's between you and your husband. Can you two stay in a hotel? If your husband insists on staying in your BIL's home, I would suggest you go along and stay there. You can't let the BIL's situation harm your marriage. Just let your husband know your objections but don't make it a huge big deal. This will be an opportunity for you to be light, salt, and to display your agape love.

Don't go in there preaching but doing something simple as offering to say grace before a meal could be a nice overture. You are offering, not insisting. They can say no.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Being yolked with unbelievers can always be difficult .....Best to claim all these people for Jesus and the kingdom of Heaven , and believe that Jesus will saved them , .... Then also pray for your cleansing to keep to Jesus and ask Jesus for a plan for your life especially during your visits

Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
If you don't want to visit, why do you go? Just stay away if it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalWoman View Post
I have been married to my husband for many years. My brother in law is a habitual cheater, he was with the mother of his kids for over ten years. He decided to marry his long time girlfriend after many years of shacking up, however he continued to cheat on her. A year ago he finally decided to leave her for a woman he met on his job. He moved out of the house with his wife and rented an apartment with his new girlfriend. He loves to invite my husband and I over for family stays. I really don't agree with the situation of staying at their home. My husband thinks it's his life and my husband is ok with staying at him and the girlfriends house, while me as a Christian feel as though it is very uncomfortable for me, due to the fact that his brother and this lady is living in an adulterous situation. What do my fellow Christians here on city data think?
I think Jesus would have hung out with him. After all the sick need a doctor. A Christian is compassionate for the sinner understanding the confusion and great difficulty of overcome their lusts.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalWoman View Post
If your presence will move all you mention closer to God then go and stay. Honor your husband and respectfully ask him to find the middle ground between what you feel and his love for his brother. If your presence does nothing but give affirmation to sin... don't stay there, but still go.

Pray about it. Your presence is a light in a dark place.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I don't think you should put up a fight with your husband about this,
because it's only you and he whom stay with his brother.
Now, if you were bringing children there, of the age of understanding,
that could be a different matter entirely.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
I'm not real good at reading between the lines. Have you and your husband talked about how this makes you feel? Of the 4 adults, are you the only Christian? Do they live in another town and this precipitates the stay overs? Just trying to get a better grasp of the family dynamics.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
I'm not real good at reading between the lines. Have you and your husband talked about how this makes you feel? Of the 4 adults, are you the only Christian? Do they live in another town and this precipitates the stay overs? Just trying to get a better grasp of the family dynamics.

Yes my husband and I have talked about this situation, but he insist that it's his brother's life and that I shouldn't care about the situation. My husband and I have been saved, but my husband has been struggling with his walk with God. Yes we live four hours away from his brother.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 AM

Snowball7 there are children of age involved and I really don't want our kids to witness this situation. I don't want them to get the impression that this is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity