Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM

505 posts, read 575,295 times

Advertisements

had you been born in a different era to a different family?
Sure, you're a Christian now but what if you had been born into:

1. a poor African family in the early 1800's?
Would you still have faith in God as your brothers and sisters were herded onto a slave ship, tied up and stolen right in front of your eyes?

2. What if you had been born in Europe during the Black plague days. 1/3 of the population of Europe died during that span. Would you curse God because no healing came and your entire family passed away?

3. How about born into a rich, affluent family at the height of the Roman empire?; or in Sodom and Gomorrah? Would you give in to the easy sex and mistreatment of those less fortunate than yourself? Would you treat your slaves decently, as a Godly person would, or would you take advantage of them and those less fortunate than yourself? As a person of wealth, power and influence, you would have access to alcohol and easy sin on a daily basis with virtually no-one to keep you in check.

My point is: how blessed we are to be born in this exact time and in this exact place! In a country where we all have the maximum access and exposure to the gospel of Jesus Christ!! Place yourself back in time in all sorts of different locales and scenerios throughout history. Would you still love God or would you worship self?
Count your blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

Would you still have faith in God as your brothers and sisters were herded onto a slave ship, tied up and stolen right in front of your eyes?

2. What if you had been born in Europe during the Black plague days. 1/3 of the population of Europe died during that span. Would you curse God because no healing came and your entire family passed away?

3. How about born into a rich, affluent family at the height of the Roman empire?; or in Sodom and Gomorrah? Would you give in to the easy sex and mistreatment of those less fortunate than yourself? Would you treat your slaves decently, as a Godly person would, or would you take advantage of them and those less fortunate than yourself? As a person of wealth, power and influence, you would have access to alcohol and easy sin on a daily basis with virtually no-one to keep you in check.

My point is: how blessed we are to be born in this exact time and in this exact place! In a country where we all have the maximum access and exposure to the gospel of Jesus Christ!! Place yourself back in time in all sorts of different locales and scenerios throughout history. Would you still love God or would you worship self?
Count your blessings.
Another excellent post, Lee.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,153 times
If I had lived in the 1800's or even the first half of the 1900's (I was born in 1961) I would hope it was into a different family than mine (well not really). You see my family was persecuted, hunted down, run out of towns, lost land, shot and even hung during that time in the South. I am grateful that I was born when I was and have lived to see the day when my people are not treated like that and have gained power and influence in our communities. Today is much better for people like me in this country than that time was.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:

Count your blessings.
Good point. When and where we are born in human history is no accident as God not only selected those who are born to be born, but also chose when and where in human history to place each of us. And He chose who our parents would be. He could have placed our soul into another body at a different time in history, but we are where and when we are by God's sovereign decision. God placed us where and when we are because He knew it was the best possible place for us.

We should be thankful not only for whatever prosperity we have in our lives, but also for the adversities which are for our benefit if we are growing spiritually since testing accelerates spiritual growth in the believer who has positive volition, and for discipline if we are disobedient and are therefore also for our benefit.
1 Thess. 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Good point. When and where we are born in human history is no accident as God not only selected those who are born to be born, but also chose when and where in human history to place each of us. And He chose who our parents would be. He could have placed our soul into another body at a different time in history, but we are where and when we are by God's sovereign decision. God placed us where and when we are because He knew it was the best possible place for us.

We should be thankful not only for whatever prosperity we have in our lives, but also for the adversities which are for our benefit if we are growing spiritually since testing accelerates spiritual growth in the believer who has positive volition, and for discipline if we are disobedient and are therefore also for our benefit.
1 Thess. 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
I guess that is why we are born naked, not knowing our lot in this life?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Excellent post. If we truly lay down our own will and way and are committed to doing the will of God and hold on to that Spirit of the Holy Ghost until we die, we are assured of going into eternity with our Lord and Savior.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,539 times
I am thankful for every day I live. When trials come, I believe God is able to bring me through.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 AM

If we are hungering and thirsting after righteousness, Jesus said we will be filled with the Holy Spirit, if we ask for it right, with a commitment to keeping His commandments and persevering until the end. See Matt. 10:[22] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
This appeared under Similar Threads.

I've often wondered how I was so lucky to be born in a time and place where Christianity was embraced as it was (USA mid '50s.)

Could've been born anywhere and any"when" but God had a plan for me.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 12-16-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:

Count your blessings.
Certainly things American Christians would do well to ponder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrLoWt2tfqg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity