Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times

Advertisements

Who are the 3 shepherds of Zechariah 11? The shepherd of Zechariah 11:13 is pointed out in Mt 27:9 to be Judas Iscariot. Who are the other two staffs, who were annihilated with Judas in the same generation (one month) Ze 11:8.

Who was the staff "Favor", and how did he "break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples.", and which covenant was that? (Ze 11:10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Who are the 3 shepherds of Zechariah 11? The shepherd of Zechariah 11:13 is pointed out in Mt 27:9 to be Judas Iscariot. Who are the other two staffs, who were annihilated with Judas in the same generation (one month) Ze 11:8.

Who was the staff "Favor", and how did he "break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples.", and which covenant was that? (Ze 11:10)
The 3 shepherds are unnamed. However there's "speculation" as to who they are. Also the shepherd of v. 13 is not Judas Iscariot. [Matt. 27:9]How do we know this?

v.9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy [Jeremiah]the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value.

'Favor' or "Beauty" stands for God's covenant and 'Bands' represents the unity of Judah/Israel. They went from being one 'house' to two "houses" and remain separate to this day.
“And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock. … And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. … Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.” [Zechariah 11:7, 10, 14]
Quote:
and which covenant was that?
The answer to this question is quite lengthy, but it has to do with the end of the Old covenant and Christ's New covenant, which He made at the Last Supper, and confirmed with the shedding of His blood.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,989 times
Not answering your questions, but recommending two commentaries, The Fiery Throne: The Prophets and Old Testament Theology (Fortress Classics in Biblical Studies) Paperback – October 1, 2003 and Word Biblical Commentary Vol. 28, Ezekiel 1-19 (allen), 346pp Hardcover – November 16, 1994
by Leslie C. Allen (Author)

I own both and though the WBC (Word Biblical Commentary) books are a mixed bag, this one is solid. The Fiery Throne Prophets book is a treasure and at $10-15 is a steal.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
The 3 shepherds are unnamed. However there's "speculation" as to who they are. Also the shepherd of v. 13 is not Judas Iscariot. [Matt. 27:9]How do we know this?

v.9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy [Jeremiah]the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value.

'Favor' or "Beauty" stands for God's covenant and 'Bands' represents the unity of Judah/Israel. They went from being one 'house' to two "houses" and remain separate to this day.
“And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock. … And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. … Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.” [Zechariah 11:7, 10, 14]
The answer to this question is quite lengthy, but it has to do with the end of the Old covenant and Christ's New covenant, which He made at the Last Supper, and confirmed with the shedding of His blood.
Dear mate,
I will be sure to E-mail Matthew that he was wrong in quoting Ze 11:12-13 with respect to the betrayal of Judas.

Mt 27:3-10,"Then when Judas, who betrayed him...threw pieces of silver into the sanctuary...and the money bought the Potter's Field...thirty pieces of silver.."

Zechariah 11:13 NAS Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

As for the New Covenant, it will be made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel (Jer 32:31), and it refers to they "shall all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them", something that hasn't happened with respect to the Judah, Israel, or the Samarians. That is exemplified by the approximately 41,000 different denominations, spouting 41,000 different versions of truth.

Who are the 3 shepherds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity