Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times

Advertisements

Do you really think God is so petty that he is looking to see if you said a prayer to a saint? Or if your church holds a service on Christmas day? Those are petty things that MAN notices and uses to make one sect feel better than another sect.

God doesn't care. He knows your heart and that's all that matters to him. If you truly accept Jesus Christ as you lord and redeemer, it doesn't matter if you are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Church of God, Presbyterian or any other of a hundred denominations.

No Christ. No salvation.
Know Christ. Know salvation.

It's really that simple folks. But go ahead and continue to bicker about who has false teachings and who will be saved and who won't. I'll put my trust in the Lord and worship wherever I feel comfortable knowing that the Lord will know what's in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I'll put my trust in the Lord and worship wherever I feel comfortable knowing that the Lord will know what's in my heart.

I've never understand the promotion of one Christian religion over another. What I really don't understand is the animosity that often accompanies it.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
It's really that simple folks. But go ahead and continue to bicker about who has false teachings and who will be saved and who won't. I'll put my trust in the Lord and worship wherever I feel comfortable knowing that the Lord will know what's in my heart.
Are you saying that God does not care about truth?
If God is as indifferent to the validity or truth of our beliefs as you claim, why do you then believe -- rather inconsistently as far as I can tell -- that it makes a difference to God whether we believe in Jesus Christ or not?

You may want to rethink your position, as it is not logically coherent.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
If God is as indifferent to the validity or truth of our beliefs as you claim, why do you then believe -- rather inconsistently as far as I can tell -- that it makes a difference to God whether we believe in Jesus Christ or not?

What truth? That I put my trust and faith in Christ? Do you think he cares if I say a Rosary? Do you think he cares if I go to work on Sunday? Do you think he cares if my church holds a service on Christmas or not?

Religon is man made. It makes us feel comfortable. It abides by traditions inspired by God but set up by man.

Christ only cares about what is truly in our heart. Our choice of worship is for us. Not Him.

Are you saying that there is only one true church? That one church is better than the rest? Or one church is "right" and the rest aren't? Not me.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
I suspect it is because the ONLY truth that matters is Jesus the Christ. The others are irrelevant. Besides . . . it is NOT what we "believe IN" about Christ. It is all about what we "believe on/into" . . . the inner voice that guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
What truth? That I put my trust and faith in Christ? Do you think he cares if I say a Rosary? Do you think he cares if I go to work on Sunday? Do you think he cares if my church holds a service on Christmas or not?
He might. It would depend on why you are saying the rosary, or working on Sunday, or holding a service on Christmas. For example, if you worked on Sunday in order to show your contempt for the idea of giving honor to God by observing a day of rest, then I think he would indeed care.

Quote:
Religon is man made.
Is it? Is the moral law man-made? Are baptism and the eucharist things that Christ never mentioned, or cared about?

Quote:
Christ only cares about what is truly in our heart.
Not so. He also cares about our actions, and about our unity, and above all about the truth. If A says that Jesus is Almighty God, and B says that he was merely a nice man, but not truly God, do you think that it doesn't matter? Don't you understand that what you believe about something inevitably will affect what you have in your heart about it?

Quote:
Our choice of worship is for us. Not Him.
Read John 6, and then come back and tell me how you can justify the claim that according to Jesus, the eucharist does not matter.

Quote:
Are you saying that there is only one true church?
Of course I am saying that. It is illogical to believe that if two churches teach mutually contradictory things about God that both can be the true church.

Quote:
That one church is better than the rest?
Yes, of course I am saying that. Truth is better than error. (And why do I have to explain that to you?) A church that teaches the truth is better than a church that teaches error -- with no question about it at all.

Quote:
Or one church is "right" and the rest aren't? Not me.
If so, that is probably because you have not thought about this with any sort of rigorous logic.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:14 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Not so. He also cares about our actions, and about our unity, and above all about the truth. If A says that Jesus is Almighty God, and B says that he was merely a nice man, but not truly God, do you think that it doesn't matter? Don't you understand that what you believe about something inevitably will affect what you have in your heart about it?
Read John 6, and then come back and tell me how you can justify the claim that according to Jesus, the eucharist does not matter.
Of course I am saying that. It is illogical to believe that if two churches teach mutually contradictory things about God that both can be the true church.
Yes, of course I am saying that. Truth is better than error. (And why do I have to explain that to you?) A church that teaches the truth is better than a church that teaches error -- with no question about it at all.
If so, that is probably because you have not thought about this with any sort of rigorous logic.
There is no logic involved in the absurd claim by the RCC that it has TRUTH and all other churches and followers of Christ do not! It is mere human vanity and hubris puffed up and magnified by millennia of corrupt power and control. Christ would not recognize much in the RCC of any merit. They have corrupted His loving self-sacrifice and Gospel of love and reconciliation into one of vengeance and appeasement by blood sacrifice! They have always promoted fear of God (which destroys love) and pretend to speak for Christ and forgive sins. They have promoted magic and ritual in place of daily "love of God and each other" and repentance. It is a travesty of grave consequence for their members.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Whatever. You guys keep going in the direction of throwing stones at each other and each other's churches. I'll keep going in the direction of Christ and worship Him in a way that is comfortable to me. He knows I love Him. He knows I repent for my shortcomings. He knows my works and what is in my heart.

I don't claim (and my Church doesn't claim) that my Church is better than any other. And neither should you.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Do you really think God is so petty that he is looking to see if you said a prayer to a saint? Or if your church holds a service on Christmas day? Those are petty things that MAN notices and uses to make one sect feel better than another sect.

God doesn't care. He knows your heart and that's all that matters to him. If you truly accept Jesus Christ as you lord and redeemer, it doesn't matter if you are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Church of God, Presbyterian or any other of a hundred denominations.

No Christ. No salvation.
Know Christ. Know salvation.

ASV Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no logic involved in the absurd claim by the RCC that it has TRUTH and all other churches and followers of Christ do not! It is mere human vanity and hubris puffed up and magnified by millennia of corrupt power and control. Christ would not recognize much in the RCC of any merit. They have corrupted His loving self-sacrifice and Gospel of love and reconciliation into one of vengeance and appeasement by blood sacrifice! They have always promoted fear of God (which destroys love) and pretend to speak for Christ and forgive sins. They have promoted magic and ritual in place of daily "love of God and each other" and repentance. It is a travesty of grave consequence for their members.
The RCC does not make this claim. You do. Pope Francis made this very clear just recently. But, since it doesn't fit YOUR claim, I guess it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity