Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times

Advertisements

Lets remember Cornelius

Act 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
Act 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

You see Cornelius had the WORKS of Faith which is Love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The Bible calls Love the WORK of Faith. So at least tell me the Bible is right and I'll be happy to be wrong.
Do you mean this one.

KJV 2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Here it is God's goodness and love which was shown by His works.

OR:

NIV 2 Thessalonians 1:11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
The Bible calls Love the WORK of Faith. So at least tell me the Bible is right and I'll be happy to be wrong.
The Bible is right. You are wrong in linking work to receiving eternal life. Are you happy? Probably not.

The definition of faith is here.

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Quote:
Lets remember Cornelius

Act 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
Act 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

And was without eternal life until he received the Holy Spirit through faith in Christ.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Lets remember Cornelius

The work of faith and love was: prayer and alms.

It also does not say what else he did AFTER his baptism.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
When John said in 1 John 4:7-8 - 'Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.', he did not say that the one who does not love has not been born again, but only that he does not know God. While he says that everyone who loves is born of God and knows God, he says of those who do not love only that they do not know God. Not that they have not been born again.

No one knows God simply by virtue of having been born again. That is why the believer is commanded to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
Again, as shown in Acts chapter 10 one is saved simply by believing the gospel. Cornelius and his household became born again even while Peter was still speaking the gospel to them. They simply believed what Peter was saying to them about Jesus and received Him as Savior.
Quote:
Mike, you act like I said it. The Bible says it which is God's Word. God is the one saying if you don't love your brother then you know not God. Your the one that believe Love isn't necessary for salvation. That would mean you believe that knowing God is not necessary for salvation.
I already explained to you in post #125 what that statement means. You misunderstand it.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Do you mean this one.

KJV 2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Here it is God's goodness and love which was shown by His works.

OR:

NIV 2 Thessalonians 1:11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.
Gal_5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible is right. You are wrong in linking work to receiving eternal life. Are you happy? Probably not.

The definition of faith is here.

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

And was without eternal life until he received the Holy Spirit through faith in Christ.
Paul said that the rendering of Eternal Life (salvation) was based on works. I gave you the verses. You should look at them again. This is not some contest about who can come across as being perceived as more knowledgable or prideful. This is about Truth. Do you desire it? - if so then be honest to YOURSELF because if your not then your cheating YOU at the end of the day.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The work of faith and love was: prayer and alms.

It also does not say what else he did AFTER his baptism.
We know that Peter once he spoke to Cornelius said this:

Act 10:34 And Peter having opened his mouth, said, `Of a truth, I perceive that God is no respecter of persons,
Act 10:35 but in every nation he who is fearing Him, and is working righteousness, is acceptable to Him;

You see Peter, said that those that are WORKING righteousness are the ones acceptable to Him and he is addressing this to Cornelius who he then accepts endorsing the fact that Cornelius indeed did works.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Paul said that the rendering of Eternal Life (salvation) was based on works.
No he didn't.

Ephesians 2:9 clearly says people are saved not as a result of works so that no one can boast. That's a clear statement.

People are saved to do good works... yes. That's Ephesians 2:10.

If you can't understand that, or refuse to understand that - I can't help you.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No he didn't.

Ephesians 2:9 clearly says people are saved not as a result of works so that no one can boast. That's a clear statement.

People are saved to do good works... yes. That's Ephesians 2:10.

If you can't understand that, or refuse to understand that - I can't help you.
What do you mean Paul didn't? Sure he did:

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his works:
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Now Romans 2:6-7 does have Paul saying that Eternal life will be based on works. Check it yourself. Don't just simply reply with other verses. But since you did, let me explain how they don't contradict.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Notice that in verse 8 it says "not of yourselves". The works that Ephesians is saying that don't save you are those belonging to US.

Now how do we sort out the works that Pauls says are required for Eternal life in Romans verses those that can't get you Eternal Life in Ephesians? -

Simple - Depends on who the works belong to. The ones that get us Eternal Life are those works that belong to Christ. Those in Ephesians are those that are OUR works - or those that we do which are selfish and don't bring salvation.

Remember Peter said that those that WORK Righteousness are ACCEPTABLE to God.

Act_10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

I would ask you (if you still don't believe me), for you to tell me how you reconcile the verses in Ephesians with those in Romans. I tell you that there is no other way but what I provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity