Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
No. The true disciple abides on the vine which is the word of God. Anything apart from the vine is nothing. The disciple is suppose to spread the word of God. Those who speak on their own seek their own glory.

"Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory but he who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him."
The lake of fire will be full of people who attempted to earn their salvation by works instead of simply trusting in the finished work of Christ. You are teaching a false gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM

867 posts, read 908,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The lake of fire will be full of people who attempted to earn their salvation by works instead of simply trusting in the finished work of Christ. You are teaching a false gospel.
I responded to the Acts because you clearly misinterpreted it and its function. I can respond to all of the Gospel and how you are misinterpreting it and their function. You read the Bible looking to justify your beliefs which were handed to you by some no name pastor. You look for scattered quotes and take it out of context because you wan the Bible to fit your conception. The truth is with this saved doctrine, all it amounts to is, "join our club or you will go to hell." Now, I can understand why so many atheist have trouble finding Faith. I don't want to join your club, be in your community, much less be around you, much less, less spend eternity with people like you.

Now you want to toss all Catholics into the lake of fire--if there is even one--simply because many of us work to relieve the sufferings of others just as Cornelius did and he was called by God. The root of this all is spiritual laziness. I don't want to work for it. I don't have to work for it. Those who work for it are no better than me. I would rather spend my time on Earth with people who are working for it whatever their denomination or none then be so spiritually lazy as to think that simply because I belong to a club I gain full access and membership.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
The Holy Spirit is not who you think he is. He is the image of the son, the servant of God. He is who you must emulate or copy. He is not some ghost speaking in your head. He takes from the word of God and declares it which glorifies the son who is the truth.
Wow - take statements right from the Bible, and I'm wrong. Very illustrative...

Here - let me give you some more of the Bible that you can reject.

Philippians 3:2-9
Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; 3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,

4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Paul's works were great - but he understood them as nothing with regards to obtaining the righteousness of Christ.

Are you paying your 10% minimum regularly to your assembly? I haven't heard a response yet. I do - in case you were wondering...

Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I see that you beat me to it DRob. Yes, the words of the apostles are the word of Jesus given by means of the Holy Spirit after He had ascended into heaven.
That's the Holy Spirit working in both of us.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wow - take statements right from the Bible, and I'm wrong. Very illustrative...

Here - let me give you some more of the Bible that you can reject.

Philippians 3:2-9
Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; 3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,

4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Paul's works were great - but he understood them as nothing with regards to obtaining the righteousness of Christ.

Are you paying your 10% minimum regularly to your assembly? I haven't heard a response yet. I do - in case you were wondering...
So you admit that Paul did not do the works Jesus did when Jesus himself said those who believe in him will do the works he did. It shows Paul was a false prophet.

"The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous but He is far from the wicked."

Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
So you admit that Paul did not do the works Jesus did when Jesus himself said those who believe in him will do the works he did. It shows Paul was a false prophet.

"The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous but He is far from the wicked."
I find it amazing that Paul's written letters are contained in God's Word - memorialized for all time on earth - and people consider Him a false prophet. If a false prophet has contributed about half of the NT content - how can you have any faith in the Bible at all?

Maybe it would be easier for you to just tell us all the works we need to do that is necessary to for eternal life. Because if you have the power to claim Paul a false prophet, you must know what you are talking about.

Seriously - I am asking you to provide a list of things TO DO.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I responded to the Acts because you clearly misinterpreted it and its function. I can respond to all of the Gospel and how you are misinterpreting it and their function. You read the Bible looking to justify your beliefs which were handed to you by some no name pastor. You look for scattered quotes and take it out of context because you wan the Bible to fit your conception. The truth is with this saved doctrine, all it amounts to is, "join our club or you will go to hell." Now, I can understand why so many atheist have trouble finding Faith. I don't want to join your club, be in your community, much less be around you, much less, less spend eternity with people like you.

Now you want to toss all Catholics into the lake of fire--if there is even one--simply because many of us work to relieve the sufferings of others just as Cornelius did and he was called by God. The root of this all is spiritual laziness. I don't want to work for it. I don't have to work for it. Those who work for it are no better than me. I would rather spend my time on Earth with people who are working for it whatever their denomination or none then be so spiritually lazy as to think that simply because I belong to a club I gain full access and membership.
No, I did not misrepresent the Book of Acts and it's function. As I told you, the reason I brought up Cornelius was to show another poster that Cornelius and his household were saved by faith and not by works of any kind.

I have not even mentioned the Roman Catholic church anywhere on the thread.

The Bible is clear that salvation is by grace, through faith in Christ Jesus and not by works. Ephesians 2:8-9 is clear on this. And to claim that it is being taken out of context when salvation IS the context is foolish. Titus 3:5 also states that we are not saved by our works. Eternal life is stated in the Scriptures to be a free gift. You do not and cannot work for something that is free. God rejects the best of human righteousness and considers it to be filthy rags as per Isaiah 64:6. We simply can not do anything to merit or earn our salvation.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-25-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 12:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I find it amazing that Paul's written letters are contained in God's Word - memorialized for all time on earth - and people consider Him a false prophet. If a false prophet has contributed about half of the NT content - how can you have any faith in the Bible at all?

Maybe it would be easier for you to just tell us all the works we need to do that is necessary to for eternal life. Because if you have the power to claim Paul a false prophet, you must know what you are talking about.

Seriously - I am asking you to provide a list of things TO DO.
Jesus said those who have faith in Him will do the works He did. He said He was sent to spread the good news of the kingdom of God. Searching further you find he said that He was born and sent into the world to testify the truth or to spread the truth which is the word of God. Since those two cannot contradict then the good news is the word of God. He said that the words he spoke were not his own but that it was the Father doing His works. So He was referring to the words as the works. It is the words of God that are the works. That is why he said that those who reject His words are condemned but he was saying that those who do not accept the word of God and spread it are those who reject it not those who do not believe he was the son of God. Accepting his word is spreading it. Accepting the word of the son of man is accepting all of the prophets words because the prophets of God are the son of man.

So the list is spreading the words of Jesus as He did and the words of the prophets before Him. I know you cannot believe it until you do it because God will not allow you to see it until you do it. You have to earn it to see it. Take the leap and you will see the glory of God.

"If you believe you'll see the glory of God."

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do"

Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Jesus said those who have faith in Him will do the works He did. He said He was sent to spread the good news of the kingdom of God. Searching further you find he said that He was born and sent into the world to testify the truth or to spread the truth which is the word of God. Since those two cannot contradict then the good news is the word of God. He said that the words he spoke were not his own but that it was the Father doing His works. So He was referring to the words as the works. It is the words of God that are the works. That is why he said that those who reject His words are condemned but he was saying that those who do not accept the word of God and spread it are those who reject it not those who do not believe he was the son of God. Accepting his word is spreading it. Accepting the word of the son of man is accepting all of the prophets words because the prophets of God are the son of man.

So the list is spreading the words of Jesus as He did and the words of the prophets before Him. I know you cannot believe it until you do it because God will not allow you to see it until you do it. You have to earn it to see it. Take the leap and you will see the glory of God.

"If you believe you'll see the glory of God."

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do"
So where does the salvation/eternal life part factor into this?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
The lake of Fire will be full of people who did nothing except claim salvation and .... did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity