Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Isa 14:12-15 (NIV) How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.
Quote:
"I, Jesus....am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star."
John must not have been familiar with Isaiah when he wrote Revelation.

99.9% of Christians are not aware that Lucifer is a minor deity in Greco/Roman mythology:

Quote:
LUCIFER in Roman mythology is called the “Son of the Dawn” and the “Bright Morning Star”. He is the ‘Bearer of Light’ and God of the Evening Star and Morning Star. In the Greek pantheon he is know as the gleaming God PHOSPHEROS.
Interesting how pagan deities found their way into Hebrew/Christian writings. It's a whole study in itself.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 06-04-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
John must not have been familiar with Isaiah when he wrote Revelation.
''So Who's the "Morning Star"--Jesus or Lucifer?''

The question is answered here.

Who is the morning Star and the

Old 06-04-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
''So Who's the "Morning Star"--Jesus or Lucifer?''

The question is answered here.

Who is the morning Star and the
Okay. Translation error.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
I remember the flak made about this when the NIV came out.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Lucifer name was not part of Greek mythology or even Roman , but the term morning star may have been as it was in Canaanite mythology called attar of the throne on baal and ruled the underworld ...........Lucifer was a Holy Archangel of Lord of Host and one of God`s highly Holy Angel, who had authority over one quarter of the whole earth but changed and rebelled against God and today have the same evil outlook as demons and fallen angels and became satan.............. All authority and power have been given to Lord Jesus Christ who usurp satan authority in the earth

Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Who is the "Morning Star"--Jesus or Lucifer?
The Son of the dawn is that of mankind.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Here is an alternative to centuries of Christian distortion (after all, what would Jews know about the Old Testament anyway! :

SOURCE

LUCIFER (Φωσφόρος):

Septuagint translation of "Helel [read "Helal"] ben Shaḥar" (= "the brilliant one," "son of the morning"), name of the day, or morning, star, to whose mythical fate that of the King of Babylon is compared in the prophetic vision (Isa. xiv. 12-14). It is obvious that the prophet in attributing to the Babylonian king boastful pride, followed by a fall, borrowed the idea from a popular legend connected with the morning star; and Gunkel ("Schöpfung und Chaos," pp. 132-134) is undoubtedly correct when he holds that it represents a Babylonian or Hebrew star-myth similar to the Greek legend of Phaethon. The brilliancy of the morning star, which eclipses all other stars, but is not seen during the night, may easily have given rise to a myth such as was told of Ethana and Zu: he was led by his pride to strive for the highest seat among the star-gods on the northern mountain of the gods (comp. Ezek. xxviii. 14; Ps. xlviii. 3 [A.V. 2]), but was hurled down by the supreme ruler of the Babylonian Olympus. Stars were regarded throughout antiquity as living celestial beings (Job xxxviii. 7).

The familiarity of the people of Palestine with such a myth is shown by the legend, localized on Mount Hermon, the northern mountain of Palestine and possibly the original mountain of the gods in that country, of the fall of the angels under the leadership of Samḥazai (the heaven-seizer) and Azael (Enoch, vi. 6 et seq.; see Fall of Angels). Another legend represents Samḥazai, because he repented of his sin, as being suspended between heaven and earth (like a star) instead of being hurled down to Sheol (see Midr. Abḳir in Yalḳ. i. 44; Raymund Martin, "Pugio Fidei," p. 564). The Lucifer myth was transferred to Satan in the pre-Christian century, as may be learned from Vita Adæ et Evæ (12) and Slavonic Enoch (xxix. 4, xxxi. 4), where Satan-Sataniel (Samael?) is described as having been one of the archangels. Because he contrived "to make his throne higher than the clouds over the earth and resemble 'My power' on high," Satan-Sataniel was hurled down, with his hosts of angels, and since then he has been flying in the air continually above the abyss (comp. Test. Patr., Benjamin, 3; Ephes. ii. 2, vi. 12). Accordingly Tertullian ("Contra Marrionem," v. 11, 17), Origen ("Ezekiel Opera," iii. 356), and others, identify Lucifer with Satan, who also is represented as being "cast down from heaven" (Rev. xii. 7, 10; comp. Luke x. 18).

Bibliography:
Cheyne, Encyc. Bibl.;
Duhm, Das Buch Jesaiah, 1892, p. 96.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Yawn. Who cares? Does it matter? No.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yawn. Who cares? Does it matter? No.
If you dont like to argue, why are you on the internet?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Here is an alternative to centuries of Christian distortion (after all, what would Jews know about the Old Testament anyway! :

SOURCE

LUCIFER (Φωσφόρος):

Septuagint translation of "Helel [read "Helal"] ben Shaḥar" (= "the brilliant one," "son of the morning"), name of the day, or morning, star, to whose mythical fate that of the King of Babylon is compared in the prophetic vision (Isa. xiv. 12-14). It is obvious that the prophet in attributing to the Babylonian king boastful pride, followed by a fall, borrowed the idea from a popular legend connected with the morning star; and Gunkel ("Schöpfung und Chaos," pp. 132-134) is undoubtedly correct when he holds that it represents a Babylonian or Hebrew star-myth similar to the Greek legend of Phaethon. The brilliancy of the morning star, which eclipses all other stars, but is not seen during the night, may easily have given rise to a myth such as was told of Ethana and Zu: he was led by his pride to strive for the highest seat among the star-gods on the northern mountain of the gods (comp. Ezek. xxviii. 14; Ps. xlviii. 3 [A.V. 2]), but was hurled down by the supreme ruler of the Babylonian Olympus. Stars were regarded throughout antiquity as living celestial beings (Job xxxviii. 7).

The familiarity of the people of Palestine with such a myth is shown by the legend, localized on Mount Hermon, the northern mountain of Palestine and possibly the original mountain of the gods in that country, of the fall of the angels under the leadership of Samḥazai (the heaven-seizer) and Azael (Enoch, vi. 6 et seq.; see Fall of Angels). Another legend represents Samḥazai, because he repented of his sin, as being suspended between heaven and earth (like a star) instead of being hurled down to Sheol (see Midr. Abḳir in Yalḳ. i. 44; Raymund Martin, "Pugio Fidei," p. 564). The Lucifer myth was transferred to Satan in the pre-Christian century, as may be learned from Vita Adæ et Evæ (12) and Slavonic Enoch (xxix. 4, xxxi. 4), where Satan-Sataniel (Samael?) is described as having been one of the archangels. Because he contrived "to make his throne higher than the clouds over the earth and resemble 'My power' on high," Satan-Sataniel was hurled down, with his hosts of angels, and since then he has been flying in the air continually above the abyss (comp. Test. Patr., Benjamin, 3; Ephes. ii. 2, vi. 12). Accordingly Tertullian ("Contra Marrionem," v. 11, 17), Origen ("Ezekiel Opera," iii. 356), and others, identify Lucifer with Satan, who also is represented as being "cast down from heaven" (Rev. xii. 7, 10; comp. Luke x. 18).

Bibliography:
Cheyne, Encyc. Bibl.;
Duhm, Das Buch Jesaiah, 1892, p. 96.
I don't know of any serious scholar who buys all this myth-making. The Lucifer-to-satan transliteration as it passed through dozens of religions and races could comprise a treatise as thick as the New York phonebook. What it points to is that the likelihood is that Lucifer and satan and all these demon/angels are products of the imaginations of thousands of writers, fable-makers from Stone Age tribes right down to Jesus' time and have absolutely no basis in fact. I cannot imagine fundamentalists taking this trash literally, but they do because they listen to their preachers instead of investing a little time to research it for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity