Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times

Advertisements

"Prophecy is a process in which one or more messages that have been communicated to a prophet are then communicated to others."
Only one time in my life have i had this happen. I did not know what to make of it but everything the starnger said came true!

Back story (short version): At a church (mega church so no she didnt know me or my story) group a woman was giving away belongings. I needed some. I called her. I went over there. We talked, etc, then she asked to pray for me. Started speaking in tongues and told me God told her to give me $5, that my husband and i would be at the altar, that my grandma was with me, god had great plans for my husband, he was stubborn and i needed to go to this one specific church. I left thinking " yeah right, this lady is CRAZY!". Then over time, every single thing she said came true. I have NEVER seen the lady again and have no idea what happened to her. She just disappeared.

Coincidence or God? Have you have a prophecy? Given one? or is it just luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
I do, we are all living out what we believe about ourselves.

What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms( this is not your neighbors living room) will be proclaimed from the roofs

What has been spoken within will come to pass without.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 AM

441 posts, read 392,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
"Prophecy is a process in which one or more messages that have been communicated to a prophet are then communicated to others."
Only one time in my life have i had this happen. I did not know what to make of it but everything the starnger said came true!

Back story (short version): At a church (mega church so no she didnt know me or my story) group a woman was giving away belongings. I needed some. I called her. I went over there. We talked, etc, then she asked to pray for me. Started speaking in tongues and told me God told her to give me $5, that my husband and i would be at the altar, that my grandma was with me, god had great plans for my husband, he was stubborn and i needed to go to this one specific church. I left thinking " yeah right, this lady is CRAZY!". Then over time, every single thing she said came true. I have NEVER seen the lady again and have no idea what happened to her. She just disappeared.

Quite obviously, you knew what to expect from this lady. Why did you not believe for God in the matter for which you asked for prayer? And yet God was faithful. What you now believe has been your test.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,375 times
Angel.

That's why you never saw her again.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Angel.

That's why you never saw her again.
Slightly flippant of me there.

The lady who prayed/said those things over/ to you probably had the 'gift' of prophecy. Most believers can develop their level of functioning in the prophetic utterance gift. They have 'prophetic team' ministry in places like morning star and some vineyard churches. It ought to be common place.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:

This came to mind ....

Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Christians should be careful with notions that people today are 'prophets who FORE-tell the future.' The Spiritual Gift of prophecy/prophesying ("FORTH-telling"), is not the same thing. Also, the reason for prophets/prophecy ("FORE-telling") was fulfilled in OT and NT times.

1). The foundation of the Church was laid long ago
2). God’s revealed Word was completed with the close of the New Testament canon.

The Church’s foundation does not need to be laid again and there is no need for further revelation beyond what God has provided for us in His complete Word, the Bible. Today we are blessed to have Scripture as our complete and final authority in all things (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

If someone now claims to have received a “special revelation,” it must be tested against Scripture. If it is contrary to the written Word of God, then it must be rejected. If it is consistent with Scripture, then we are dealing with "FORTH-telling" (prophesying), for which no 'special' knowledge or insight is necessary ... beyond the Bible. (The Joel 2 last days reference is to prophesying (FORTH-telling).

Men who boldly proclaim the Word of God as contained in Scripture (as pastors, teachers, and evangelists --- FORTH-telling). But, there is no further need for the “prophets” to FORE-tell as they did to confirm the Word of God in the Old and New Testament.

Perhaps this is why the primary reference to "prophets" in NT times is to "false prophets." Today, this falls more in the category of soothsayers or fortune tellers, not 'prophets of God.'

Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM

I had not been praying for anything she said. Specifically the part about my husband and i at the altar- i was a week away from moving out by myself into an apartment (divorce) so when she said that, it was definitely from God. We did end up at the altar- we renewed our marriage and vows but it took God.
Again she said God had something for my husband. my husband was a non believer. Didnt go to church or anything. Hes been a Christian for a year and half. 100% God.

I had a christian friend who warned me of false prophets and to test what she said against the word, but I had to have Faith that IF this lady was being truthful, it would happen. I think its amazing people can have this gift and use it for good godly reasons. Sure anyone can say " god told me" but if its not true, then God isnt in it.

ETA: I just want to say, I made this thread to see how others felt about the idea of Prophecy, not to make anyone feel like im being boastful.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

Typically real prophecy is built around God's purpose not personal benefits.

That being said we also must remember that Satan can inspire accurate prophecy as well.

Remember:

KJV Acts 16:16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

The word divination refers to the Greek God Python. Sound like a familiar word?

Friberg Greek Lexicon: 23801 Python; in Greek mythology, a giant snake guarding the oracular sanctuary at Delphi until slain by the god Apollo; later, soothsaying ventriloquist; pneu/ma pu,qwna literally python spirit, i.e. fortune-telling spirit, spirit of divination (AC 16.16)

Paul cast the evil spirit out of her.

Not saying this was the case with you, but it always must be considered.

(2 Corinthians 11:14-15) 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Typically real prophecy is built around God's purpose not personal benefits.

That being said we also must remember that Satan can inspire accurate prophecy as well.

Remember:

KJV Acts 16:16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

The word divination refers to the Greek God Python. Sound like a familiar word?

Friberg Greek Lexicon: 23801 Python; in Greek mythology, a giant snake guarding the oracular sanctuary at Delphi until slain by the god Apollo; later, soothsaying ventriloquist; pneu/ma pu,qwna literally python spirit, i.e. fortune-telling spirit, spirit of divination (AC 16.16)

Paul cast the evil spirit out of her.

Not saying this was the case with you, but it always must be considered.

(2 Corinthians 11:14-15) 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.
Satan could be a false prophet but his purpose/reasoning isnt good. If he told someone something, then the bad would still come through because he is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity