Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

It is said by some that the Bible contains a certain meaning: one meaning. That meaning is called “God’s Word”. Some, of course have passed over this way of looking at the bible. But the bible and its readers, the people that take meaning away from it have been the very participants in a scientific experiment of whether such a notion of language and meaning could possibly be sensible. Witness the continual splintering into factions that characterize Christianity through the ages. There are (how many?) denominations of distinct Christian faiths, largely representing differences over what the Bible says. The problem which proponents of the God's Word Hypothesis (GWH) must grapple with is how would you know it when you saw it – THE intended meaning, that single meaning said to be God’s Word? It seems to me, the only possible way for the GWH to be possible would be for God Himself, as the author, to have included, say in a forward to the Bible, instructions for knowing when interpretations of the bible were closer or farther from his intended meaning. This would be a sort of measuring stick that you could hold claims of what the Bible says up to, to determine whether they were “True” or not, or matched God’s intended meaning. Something like the “you’re getting warmer, now colder” game.
Christians sometimes argue that the true meaning is available and that what I’m describing here is the result of “sin” or “satan”. This is not helpful. At best, it only changes to terms of the problem. Now the problem is how do we know when we have removed sin and satan from the picture. We have the same problem of not KNOWING when we have the single true meaning that God intended. How could a Christian convince her fellow Christians that she has accomplished this without the above described “objective” heuristic that could be used to convince all minds.
The idea seems flawed and silly. It runs counter to science: contrary to much of what we know about how language functions, how meaning works. It is just another way that religious belief is at odds with science. But we don’t need an appeal to science here, as expressed above, it is obvious, historically and culturally, by common observation, who has or has had ‘the right meaning’ and how would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,537,198 times
What

Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,445,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog1 View Post
It is said by some that the Bible contains a certain meaning: one meaning. That meaning is called “God’s Word”. Some, of course have passed over this way of looking at the bible. But the bible and its readers, the people that take meaning away from it have been the very participants in a scientific experiment of whether such a notion of language and meaning could possibly be sensible. Witness the continual splintering into factions that characterize Christianity through the ages. There are (how many?) denominations of distinct Christian faiths, largely representing differences over what the Bible says. The problem which proponents of the God's Word Hypothesis (GWH) must grapple with is how would you know it when you saw it – THE intended meaning, that single meaning said to be God’s Word? It seems to me, the only possible way for the GWH to be possible would be for God Himself, as the author, to have included, say in a forward to the Bible, instructions for knowing when interpretations of the bible were closer or farther from his intended meaning. This would be a sort of measuring stick that you could hold claims of what the Bible says up to, to determine whether they were “True” or not, or matched God’s intended meaning. Something like the “you’re getting warmer, now colder” game.
Christians sometimes argue that the true meaning is available and that what I’m describing here is the result of “sin” or “satan”. This is not helpful. At best, it only changes to terms of the problem. Now the problem is how do we know when we have removed sin and satan from the picture. We have the same problem of not KNOWING when we have the single true meaning that God intended. How could a Christian convince her fellow Christians that she has accomplished this without the above described “objective” heuristic that could be used to convince all minds.
The idea seems flawed and silly. It runs counter to science: contrary to much of what we know about how language functions, how meaning works. It is just another way that religious belief is at odds with science. But we don’t need an appeal to science here, as expressed above, it is obvious, historically and culturally, by common observation, who has or has had ‘the right meaning’ and how would you know?

I'll be happy to provide the forward: "God is love. [Reference 1 Cor 13 for details.] If whatever meaning you ascribe to any part of the bible is at odds with that, discard that interpretation and try again."

Think people will go for it?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM

Using this, Christians can achieve universal agreement? Can you explain why other Christians haven't figured this out and thus remain in disagreement? What if other Christians disagree with your idea on how to accomplish this? How will you know who is right? Say, for example, someone believes that "God is Just" is a better measure for assessing correct interpretations of biblical texts?
I think the only way to get the "measuring stick" is from the author, from God, why should we believe you? And that has to be in a way that it is not a matter of personal opinion like just reading the bible and interpreting it. It has to rise above any possibility for squabbling about the truth.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Using this, Christians can achieve universal agreement?
Everybody might be able to reach universal agreement with the belief that "God is love", eventually. A girl can hope.

Quote:
Can you explain why other Christians haven't figured this out and thus remain in disagreement?
I'm not a Christian and I don't know why all Christians haven't figure out the "God is love" thing.

Quote:
What if other Christians disagree with your idea on how to accomplish this?
No "if" about it. Many Christians do disagree with me.

Quote:
How will you know who is right?
I'm always right (unless I'm wrong).

Quote:
Say, for example, someone believes that "God is Just" is a better measure for assessing correct interpretations of biblical texts?
Plenty of Christians do think that "God is just" is a better measure. I think "Glod is just" is included under the banner that "God is love".

Quote:
I think the only way to get the "measuring stick" is from the author, from God,
Who says God is the author of the bible? A bunch of different people authored it, not God. One of them happened to say, "God is love."

Quote:
why should we believe you?
That God is love? You can read it in one of the books of the Bible (1 John), so you don't have to believe me. You have to believe the guy that wrote it.

Quote:
And that has to be in a way that it is not a matter of personal opinion like just reading the bible and interpreting it. It has to rise above any possibility for squabbling about the truth.
I think there's only one way to interepret "God is love". Guess I could be wrong.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Ah, I see you aren't one to read or think of the bible in the way that would lead you to take issue with my point.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see you aren't one to read or think of the bible in the way that would lead you to take issue with my point.
Right. And your point is discussed pretty often around these parts, on one level or another. Welcome to the fray.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM

64,083 posts, read 40,364,034 times
Quote:
Pleroo has done a good job of explaining the ONE Spirit that should guide all Christians . . . but it doesn't. This is extremely frustrating because the very person for whom the faith is named . . . Christ . . . not only taught it but demonstrated the application of it unambiguously. "No greater love . . . "

Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,491,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
What
He has problems with the written "Word".

Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM

9,703 posts, read 10,074,057 times
The very Key to the hidden understanding of the ages is to repent and accept the Spirit of God on your Life knowing Jesus the living God , and then through your walk with Him .................Go to Ephesians 1 : 17-18 and pray this prayer in expectation until you receive ............. Which says ``That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him .......The eye of your understanding being enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of His calling , and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance is the saints `` ....See this is the will of God to give His children this spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him which will bring a lead to all understanding of truth , Jesus Just needs your faith and expectation .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity