Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Assuming that he was not an historical person, but was invented by Christian writers. Consider this: (1) He was blinded by God (rather than the other way around). (2) He was always "in chains." He actually wrote his letter from prison at times.

If those were metaphors, then is it possible we have missed something about Paul?

If they were true facts then my theory would be complete nonsense, I agree. He may very well have been a true historical person, writing real letters. Then my idea would be simply wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
And if it is wrong? Is it appropriate to simply trust what has been recorded because it has been sanctioned by councils of a church that clearly had its own axes to grind? Test everything in the light of the message of Christ you have received in your heart and determine how what is said fits in with living in the love expressed by the "New Commandment," and you will not find much in the writings attributed to Paul that don't match, and a lot that will help in understanding how to apply that love to a Christian walk.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Assuming that he was not an historical person, but was invented by Christian writers. Consider this: (1) He was blinded by God (rather than the other way around). (2) He was always "in chains." He actually wrote his letter from prison at times.

If those were metaphors, then is it possible we have missed something about Paul?

If they were true facts then my theory would be complete nonsense, I agree. He may very well have been a true historical person, writing real letters. Then my idea would be simply wrong.
Dear Ozzy,
Actually he was supposedly blinded by an angel of light. According to Paul, an angel of light is often a form of Satan. (2 Cor 11:14) But if you are inclusive of all that is written, you would find that Paul fills the description of the "false prophet" of Mt 7:15-23, and therefore would be subject to Revelation 16:13, whereas he would be the sanctuary of the "unclean spirits" (demons). Which would tie into Paul's blindness and visions, which would be linked to Paul's confession of having been given a messenger from Satan, and which would result in what is called "Saint Paul's disease", a form of epilepsy. Paul, epilepsy. Famous people who suffered from epilepsy. Saint Paul.

As for the authorship of Paul's writings, it is generally conceded that he wrote only about half of what he is given credit for. Authorship of the Pauline epistles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear Ozzy,
Actually he was supposedly blinded by an angel of light. According to Paul, an angel of light is often a form of Satan. (2 Cor 11:14) But if you are inclusive of all that is written, you would find that Paul fills the description of the "false prophet" of Mt 7:15-23, and therefore would be subject to Revelation 16:13, whereas he would be the sanctuary of the "unclean spirits" (demons). Which would tie into Paul's blindness and visions, which would be linked to Paul's confession of having been given a messenger from Satan, and which would result in what is called "Saint Paul's disease", a form of epilepsy. Paul, epilepsy. Famous people who suffered from epilepsy. Saint Paul.

As for the authorship of Paul's writings, it is generally conceded that he wrote only about half of what he is given credit for. Authorship of the Pauline epistles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks.

By the way, I am in no way suggesting that the historical Paul is someone who was not to be trusted. If he really is an example of a false prophet (which I have not studied) then I think that in that case he might be nothing more than a literary creation intended to show that belief. But that same tendency in Paul would be something found within all people to some degree.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Thanks.

By the way, I am in no way suggesting that the historical Paul is someone who was not to be trusted. If he really is an example of a false prophet (which I have not studied) then I think that in that case he might be nothing more than a literary creation intended to show that belief. But that same tendency in Paul would be something found within all people to some degree.
Dear Oz,

Paul's message of Lawlessness, and being all things to all people, is a message of the deceiver, and for those of the "dark", it is a message that finds footing, for those of the "light", it doesn't ring true. To find visual evidence of Paul's character among the populace, just look to the politicians for a condensed view. They present themselves as all things to all people, and the Laws apparently don't apply to them. At least in their minds. This would apply also to career criminals who are good at what they do.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
People who do not believe in the revelations that Apostle Paul got from Jesus on the Spirit of God , and the plan of God for the church of Christ , usually do not have the Spirit of God on their lives and the wisdom and understanding of the Holy Spirit who is Christ , as This Wisdom and understanding are the exact understanding that come from Jesus Spirit, as these Epistles are anointed of the Holy Spirit ..............The only differences that Paul had to put up with the culture of the Corinthians who were carnal Christians and Paul made exception to their customs ............... Other Christians who got their understanding from the Virgin and Holy Spirit tend to miss the revelations which Paul got from Jesus , but get their revelation from similar doctrine with different terminology

Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
People who do not believe in the revelations that Apostle Paul got from Jesus on the Spirit of God , and the plan of God for the church of Christ , usually do not have the Spirit of God on their lives and the wisdom and understanding of the Holy Spirit who is Christ , as This Wisdom and understanding are the exact understanding that come from Jesus Spirit, as these Epistles are anointed of the Holy Spirit ..............The only differences that Paul had to put up with the culture of the Corinthians who were carnal Christians and Paul made exception to their customs ............... Other Christians who got their understanding from the Virgin and Holy Spirit tend to miss the revelations which Paul got from Jesus , but get their revelation from similar doctrine with different terminology
Dear hc,
Your message is quite unclear, as if you were sleep deprived. Your response that the, "Apostle Paul got from Jesus on the Spirit of God", does not make sense. It sounds like you are saying that "Jesus" is on the Spirit of God", such as riding on a horse, or that "Jesus" is making revelations about the "Spirit of God". It is the Spirit of God which makes revelation concerning Scripture and the testimony of Yeshua.

If English is not your primary language, just let me know. I can't tell if you have a little problem with English, or that your message just doesn't make sense. If English is not your primary language, accept my apology for questioning your response. It is just that I don't understand your perspective.

And what is the "plan of God for the church of Christ"? And what is "Jesus Spirit", and are you saying Yeshua has a Spirit separate from that of the "Spirit of God"? If Yeshua is in heaven, how did Paul get his revelation from "Jesus"? Did not Yeshua say that he would send the "Helper". (John 14:26)

And what is this about "their understanding from the Virgin"? What virgin? And what understanding? Are you saying that the brothers of Yeshua were born of a virgin, and that "other Christians" got their understanding from the dead?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Paul no doubt was a real person ,but like Joseph smith ,he saw an opportunity .
Please note that it is not shown that Paul never repented.
It is likely that having not repented, assumed God would grant him approval with out it.= Grace = his own definition of God's compromising with sin.
His influence on the disciples seemed from the mantle of authority he wore as a Pharisee, much like today when some one claims to have a masters degree in theology.
Paul's advantage was being very familiar with jewish law and a lot of influence in greek literature.(the emphasis on love).
There are points in his writing that indicate some understanding of the Holy Spirit , but then Paul gets back into dictating laws of his own. Double minded.
Paul's assignment of teachers,yet another defiance of Jesus command.(do not be called Rabbi,father or master. )
Paul will give account of him self before God just as well all will ,and it is completely possible that Jesus warning was a bit prophetic when had said ,Matthew 7;21,22,23, "Not every one that says to me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven ".....
Knowing the power of Jesus name, and coming under His authority, are two very different things.
And many miss this, and assume that because some one does miracles in Jesus name he must be certified of God, not so.
The most important aspect of the Lord's prayer is "Thy will be done " Not, my will be done.
Obedience Is what Jesus demonstrated and taught and provide the believer to have the ability to "Obey God in that righteousness ",not one's own version of noble deed based on academics and political correctness. Jesus was not politically correct.
John 6;38,
The best expression of love for God, is obeying Him. The worst expression is maintaining ones' own govern, ahead of God's govern.

Last edited by arleigh; 07-30-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Were we ever supposed to trust Paul's writings?
No.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Well, I myself am not smart enough to understand Paul. He was a fricking genius, and created a complex theology. Years of sitting in mass every Sunday, most of which featured the epistles of Paul as one of the readings, left me bewildered. Even good old Father Norris, an apostle of Paul, was more likely to put me to sleep than pound anything through my thick head.

But I recall quite clearly two beautiful passages from Paul. That one about doing all those great things, but doing them without love ... and that one I think in Corinthians about putting on the armor of faith and wielding the sword of righteousness (I am probably not remembering it correctly, but that particular passage provides the proof that the author of Beowulf was intimately familiar with the New Testament, something which was denied by scholars in the 50's and 60's when I was growing up)

Paul is absolutely THE most interesting character in the history of Christianity IMHO. His conversion is a source of inspiration, but also a source of skepticism. I mean, how does one believe that a persecutor of the early Christians has that moment of conversion, and with a few years essentially definse Christian thought, Christian theology? It is an amazing story, especially to this humble soul.

False prophet? Where does he contradict the message of Jesus as found in the Gospels? But isnt it interesting that there is more of "Paul" (including the works falsely credited to him) than there is of Jesus? In fact, I suggest that there is a certain segment of the Christian membership that looks more to Paul than to Jesus Himself.

No, IMHO Paul is NOT a false prophet. In fact, without Paul, Christianity might have remained a small Jewish sect, not the most influential movement in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity