Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "God is love" and 1 Cor 13
I am a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 8 40.00%
I am not a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 5 25.00%
I am not a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am a Christian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 1 5.00%
I am not a Chrisitian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am not a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Deja vu, Twin. We covered this in this thread already. I'll simply copy what I said to you earlier:

I know you feel the statement "God is love" is qualified, or limited, by other things in the bible. But that doesn't mean you don't agree with the statement, nor with 1 Cor 13. Someone started a thread asking what Christians can agree on. I certainly thought the 2 things in this poll were a no-brainer for agreement, regardless of whatever conditions you or anyone else feels are put on them.
Deja vu ... ???
Then why ask " I would never have guessed that to be a controversial passage in anyone's mind. Perhaps one of them will speak up"

So why not you stop being controversial by qualifying \ limiting "God is love" to 1 Cor 13 by ignoring the greater things in the Bible that define what God's love is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Agape love creates uncounted and uncountable commandments too numerous to enumerate. If you are truly trying to operate your life in agape love . . . you will have numerous restrictions on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And Jesus and Scripture give specific ones that are evidence of true agape love, not just a claim.
The Bible contains specific description in the "letter" based on the social and cultural things of the 1st century and earlier. It is the Spirit behind them that is agape love . . . not the specific acts themselves. This is true of what is specified that was not agape love during that era and in their cultural mores. Pretending that what happened back then is the same as what occurs today without examining the Spirit behind them is silly. That way lies error and lack of agape love. If we are acting in agape love . . . we are NOT sinning, period. The focus on WHAT instead of WHY has led to egregious evils and a ridiculous focus on things and acts . . . not agape love.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
......The focus on WHAT instead of WHY has led to egregious evils and a ridiculous focus on things and acts . . . not agape love.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Deja vu ... ???
Then why ask " I would never have guessed that to be a controversial passage in anyone's mind. Perhaps one of them will speak up"
Because when I asked YOU if you were the one who said they disagreed with 1 Cor 13, you said you didn't know what I was talking about. So, I was left with the impression that that person (and now persons) still had not explained their reasoning.

Quote:
So why not you stop being controversial by qualifying \ limiting "God is love" to 1 Cor 13 by ignoring the greater things in the Bible that define what God's love is.
I have not, at any time, limited "God is love" to 1 Cor 13.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 AM

People emphasize what they feel is important.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
People emphasize what they feel is important.
True. And I understand that snce I emphasize love as being the most important, Twin takes issue with that. But that doesn't mean he takes issue with 1 Cor 13 or with the statement that God is love. If someone who believed in the doctrine of eternal torment had posted this same poll, my guess is that he would have had no issue with it That's my only point.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM

^Precisely. If one's major concern is with escaping punishment, though, don't you wonder about his commitment to love as basis for relating to God?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
^Precisely. If one's major concern is with escaping punishment, though, don't you wonder about his commitment to love as basis for relating to God?
Oh, 100%. I don't think Twin, at least, would even argue that love is the basis for relating to God. Correct me if I'm wrong, Twin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity