Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Jesus based religions Unite as one?
Yes 6 33.33%
No 13 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Would you allow Agnostic followers of Jesus?
Sure. Even atheist. Some o the best thinkers or at least expressors of good thought in community are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Most have. It is spoken of here,

KJV Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
I wanted to ask this question for a long time...Imagine what happened if all followers of Jesus decide to join together...That will be the greatest event to witness. Its very possible...

Would love to hear your thoughts.
It wouldnt work since one of the main things that separate Messianic Jews, Hebrew Roots, SDA'a and a couple others from mainstream Christianity is the Sabbath Days and Dietary Laws.

I dont think most Christians would do Feast of Tabernacles for 8 days and Christmas or Passover and Easter without an argument starting over the usual, one is biblical and one is pagan origins. The same issue with dietary laws, you will have one group that keeps them because God said not to eat certain foods and the other group that will say they can eat whatever they want and they will go back and forth.

Then this one great religion will go back and forth over Sabbath vs Sunday until Jesus comes back. So it will be 1st century Christianity vs Roman based Christianity all over again.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Seriously, SAAN, the only problem with those doifferent perceptions is that each side claims that it HAS to be their way. The requirement for orthodoxy in such questions is entierel spurious and a product of the developing clergy that formed the Catholic Churches.

I recall an exchange in the early church between the Bishop of Rome and a Bishop in Asia Minor in which the Roman urged orthodoxy in the practice of Easter/Passover obligations. The other Bishop replied that they had some who observed the whole Jewish hoopla, some who observed only Easter Sunday, some who did a week of observation but incorporating none of the Passover observations and some who made no special observation at all. That each group supported the others in their practices and the other Bishop viewed the whole arrangement as an evidence if not source of strength in his congregations.

This whole idea of orthodoxy needs to be rethought.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Seriously, SAAN, the only problem with those doifferent perceptions is that each side claims that it HAS to be their way. The requirement for orthodoxy in such questions is entierel spurious and a product of the developing clergy that formed the Catholic Churches.

I recall an exchange in the early church between the Bishop of Rome and a Bishop in Asia Minor in which the Roman urged orthodoxy in the practice of Easter/Passover obligations. The other Bishop replied that they had some who observed the whole Jewish hoopla, some who observed only Easter Sunday, some who did a week of observation but incorporating none of the Passover observations and some who made no special observation at all. That each group supported the others in their practices and the other Bishop viewed the whole arrangement as an evidence if not source of strength in his congregations.

This whole idea of orthodoxy needs to be rethought.
Nate, both you and SAAN are on the right track.

You are absolutely right that all Christians and all assemblies of Christians shouldn't be forced to become exactly cookie-cutter copies of each other. Unity is only possible when freedom to believe and observe what you want is preserved.

SAAN is right because the whole Christianity is so locked into the idea of the necessity for doctrinal and ceremonial orthodoxy. The union probably wouldn't work for that reason.

I think we can and should evolve past all barriers to unity. I don't think we're there yet, but we should be.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
I wanted to ask this question for a long time...Imagine what happened if all followers of Jesus decide to join together...That will be the greatest event to witness. Its very possible...

Would love to hear your thoughts.
According to 1 Corinthians 1 - that's what it should be.

1 Corthinas 1:10 - Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

We should remain unique individuals... doctrine should be uniform.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
According to 1 Corinthians 1 - that's what it should be.

1 Corthinas 1:10 - Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

We should remain unique individuals... doctrine should be uniform.
"uniform" is ok, but minimal is even better. The less complicated it is the less we have to disagreeon and the Way was not at all complicated until "clergy" started developing.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
This will happen , but after the second coming of Jesus Christ , still Jesus does say that division will come to an end before His second coming , but this divisions coming to an end will be the motivation for the devil to give rise to antichrist , because divisions is the devil greatest hope in these days .......... For these days it is better to love the other churches in all Christians heart and never hate other churches in the sight and presence of God , which means that Christians need to pray for the other churches which will give believer the support which God desires his followers to be children of God

Old 10-09-2014, 04:07 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Nate, both you and SAAN are on the right track.

You are absolutely right that all Christians and all assemblies of Christians shouldn't be forced to become exactly cookie-cutter copies of each other. Unity is only possible when freedom to believe and observe what you want is preserved.

SAAN is right because the whole Christianity is so locked into the idea of the necessity for doctrinal and ceremonial orthodoxy. The union probably wouldn't work for that reason.

I think we can and should evolve past all barriers to unity. I don't think we're there yet, but we should be.
I agree, but it would be very difficult. When you look at the beliefs of all those who believe Jesus is the way to the father. They agree on 90+% the same thing. Its that small 10% which is the reason for 38,000 denominations, that differ on Sabbath Days, Dietary Laws, Tithing, Homosexuality, Baptism, Rapture, how we should refer to God and a few other areas. Im still amazed that small percentage can have that many different variations.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"uniform" is ok, but minimal is even better. The less complicated it is the less we have to disagreeon and the Way was not at all complicated until "clergy" started developing.
Clergy? Who are the clergy? People.

People complicate things.

You make it seem like the clergy are some mutant species that developed from a mudpit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity