Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandraspberry View Post
Hi guys! I recently converted from Roman Catholicism to the Protestant faith. At first I thought it wouldn't be such big deal (since my parents don't go to church every Sunday, they just 'believe'). I never really felt compelled by the RC Church, never really got that special feeling that I feel when I'm at my community Protestant Church. She thinks (I guess) that whoever was baptized as a Catholic, stays Catholic for life. What's your input guys? Do you think the same?

Live your life to please God Our Holy Father ... not other people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
It's amazing how intolerant of diversity some religions are. That's really sad.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
What is important is that you attend the church Jesus created and not go where you feel like or makes you feel good. The latter approaches mean that lay folk get to determine the truth, which as we all know from the evidence, cannot be done with any consistency nor do these folks have any education or authority to make the call correctly, anyway.

Protestantism is the inmates running the prison.

Offensive.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
[/b]Offensive.
Not really, just laughable.. Protestants more like broke OUT of the prison.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Hi guys! I recently converted from Roman Catholicism to the Protestant faith. At first I thought it wouldn't be such big deal (since my parents don't go to church every Sunday, they just 'believe'). I never really felt compelled by the RC Church, never really got that special feeling that I feel when I'm at my community Protestant Church. She thinks (I guess) that whoever was baptized as a Catholic, stays Catholic for life. What's your input guys? Do you think the same?
Your mom doesn't like your religion?

You didn't like her religion.

That makes you even.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 AM

28 posts, read 35,908 times
Quote:
What is important is that you attend the church Jesus created and not go where you feel like or makes you feel good. The latter approaches mean that lay folk get to determine the truth, which as we all know from the evidence, cannot be done with any consistency nor do these folks have any education or authority to make the call correctly, anyway.

Protestantism is the inmates running the prison.
Are you serious? Then what do you think about being stuck in the abusive marriage? Should the woman stay in this forever, because it was made sacred by God and therefore, she doesn't need to feel good about it? I cannot believe what I am reading here.

I won't even comment the last hurtful sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Live your life to please God Our Holy Father ... not other people.
This is what I'm doing, but as in everyone's life, family opinion matters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's amazing how intolerant of diversity some religions are. That's really sad.
It really is. I've always thought that RCC is the most peaceful and tolerant religion out of all, mostly due to "love thy brother..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your mom doesn't like your religion?

You didn't like her religion.

That makes you even.
But I never told her "oh, you're going to hell" or anything. I respect every religion, mostly because I have friends from all circles i.e. my girl-friend is Muslim, but she's one of the sweetest people I know. It never occurred to me to throw religion in her face.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
My mum is the same way. But my parents were "normal" so religion would never come between us. She says "I'll pray for you." I say "thanks ma, I'll go to the store for you." We laugh. But the truth is we both understand what is going on around us to a degree. She isn't sure she has the "right answer". so for me, its people, not religion ...always. maybe I am the jerk, not her.

What Jesus meant by "coming between family members" was not a "belief in god". It was in actions. If my son hurts a girl in a way that men do, I will turn him off myself. I will not shirk my responsibility and pass him onto Victim number 2 or have others pay for him.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Recruit? No one recruited me. I went to the Church by myself, I haven't met any Protestants before. Poor educated Catholic? Really? I have no interest in reading Canon Law and "news" from the synods, since for me the most objective source of God's words and intentions is Bible.
I should feel good in the Church, should feel welcome and appreciated, and excited to go there another time - none of these things happened to me in the RCC.

The bold statement clearly shows you are a Sola Scriptura Christian and hence you are ignorant of Catholicism which is MUCH MORE than Sola Scriptura.

Once again you express your desire for external validation to feel good. And no one is more friendly than Protestant church members looking for converts.

Catholics do not try to kiss your rear or provide you with external validation. That is why you do not like Catholicism. They do not give you the "feel good sensations" Protestants give you.

And that is a valid point to defect.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
[/b]Offensive.
Protestantism is the kids running the school.

How's that?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Protestantism is the kids running the school.

How's that?
In the Christian world view are not all His children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity