Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:34 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,817,788 times

Advertisements

22 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.”’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

1) What is the wedding feast?
2) Who are the guests?
3) What is the wedding garment?
4) Who is the person dressed inappropriately?
5) Why was he (#4) speechless?
6) What was his (#4) ultimate fate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 AM

23,206 posts, read 10,500,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
22 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.”’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

2) Who are the guests?

A believer in Christ is looking for a Jewish wedding.

Rosh Hashanah is the wedding day.

The father chooses the bride and they are engaged to be wed, and so the bridegroom leaves to prepare a place for his bride and then he is set to return by surprise to claim his bride and consummate the marriage.

The 7 feast days all teach of this marriage and the promises concerning each feast day according to a marriage.

God had wed Israel under a canopy, with a marriage contract.

But Jesus came to redeem brides who were not of Israel and so they also have to be wed.

Here is just a small part that I copied from Eddie Chumney.
  1. Finally, there would be a marriage supper for all the guests invited by the father of the bride.
12 The bride and the groom would be in the wedding chamber for seven days. When the bride and the groom initially went into the wedding chamber, the friend of the bridegroom stood outside the door. All the assembled guests of the wedding gathered outside, waiting for the friend of the bride-groom to announce the consummation of the marriage, which was relayed to him by the groom. John (Yochanan) the Immerser (Baptist) referred to this in John 3:29. At this signal, great rejoicing broke forth (John 3:29). The marriage was consummated on the first night (Genesis [Berei****] 29:23). The bloodstained linen from this night was preserved. It was proof of the bride's virginity (Deuteronomy [Devarim] 22:13-21).

On the wedding day, the bridegroom is seen as a king and the bride as a queen. During the consummation of the marriage, the bridegroom (Yeshua) will be crowned King over all the earth and the bride (the believers in Yeshua, the Messiah) will live with Him and rule with Him forever. The crowning of the King and the marriage can be seen in Isaiah 62:3-7. At the end of the week (seven-year tribulation, or birthpangs of the Messiah), the marriage supper will take place. The marriage supper will not take place in Heaven. After the marriage, the bride and Groom will return to earth. The marriage supper will be taking place on earth and only the invited guests of the Father of the Groom (G-d the Father) will be present at the banquet meal. This can be seen in Revelation 19:7-16 and 20:4. Yeshua spoke of the marriage supper and the banquet in Luke 12:35-38 and Matthew 8:11. The wedding supper is a theme of the festival of Sukkot, which will be discussed further in a later chapter. During Sukkot, the people were instructed by G-d to build a temporary shelter. One of the things G-d instructed the people to do is eat there. When they eat, they are to set a plate for seven different people. Among the seven whom a plate is set for are Abraham (Avraham), Isaac (Yitzchak), and Jacob (Ya'akov). This is what Yeshua was referring to in Matthew 8:11.
The unbelievers in the Messiah will attend a separate banquet where the fowls of the air will eat their flesh. This can be seen in Revelation 19:17-18. The home of the bride was Jerusalem and it was the bridegroom who came to the bride to dwell with her. It is from Jerusalem that the believers in the Messiah during the Messianic age, or Millennium, will reign with the Messiah. This can be seen in Revelation 21:1-3; Ezekiel 43:1-2,7; Isaiah 2:2-4; Micah 4:1-5; and Zechariah 2:l0-12

The wedding garment is the good works, and it is seen in the inner most place which is closest to the ark of the covenant. It is a Fine woven work of linen.

The laws of the veil show a progression, and the last progression is the sheet of linen, when a person gets to that level, he has obtained a wedding garment, and it is a fine woven work, meaning that you make it.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM

68 posts, read 56,047 times
Quote:

2) Who are the guests?

1. wedding feast is the Jesus claiming his bride-groom at the second coming. the overcomers

2. the guests are the overcomers. called and chosen by God.

3. the wedding garment could be the transformed body. the manifestation of the glory of God.

4. good question: (speculation) somebody who has figured out a way to extend life or alter his flesh through other than justification-sanctification-glorification

5. I would imagine b/c he is busted. or b/c he is not on the same exact level as a manifested Son/Daughter of God he is unable to communicate in that realm.

6 kicked out of the Kingdom of God where others will be. Not hell as we know that the Kingdom of God is the Stone Kingdom that will cover the earth with the Glory of the Lord

Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,856,276 times
The first part of the parable (v. 1-7) is an allegory of Israel's unfaithful response to God and His prophets. This leads-up to the invitation extended to the Gentiles ... and anyone who would come.

1) What is the wedding feast? -- aka: 'Wedding supper of the lamb" - Heavenly celebration of Christ and His bride -- Rev. 19:6-9: 6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. 9 And the angel said[a] to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

2) Who are the guests? -- Attending the wedding feast will be not only the Church as the bride of Christ, but others as well. The "others" include Old Testament saints who are going to be raised at the Second Coming, as well as the martyred dead of the Tribulation. As the angel told John to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb” (Revelation 19:9). The marriage supper of the Lamb is a glorious celebration of all who are in Christ!

3) What is the wedding garment? -- Rev. 19:8 - Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God's holy people.)

4) Who is the person dressed inappropriately? - This is a representation of those who expect or hope to approach Holy God (aka: "enter the sheep pen" - John 10:1) on some other basis than grace through faith in Jesus Christ (works, merit, theology, etc). For those prior to the coming of Christ, it is still those who lived by faith in God (ie; “Abraham was declared righteous because of his faith”) -- This is similar to the parable of the sheep and the goats –Matt. 25:31-46)

5) Why was he (#4) speechless? -- Per Rom 1:18-20, those who 'suppress God's truth in their wickedness are without excuse'. The final judgment will not be a trial with lawyers arguing their cases, but, rather the righteous, one-way judgment of an all-knowing God. -- There will be nothing left to say for the one who spends their lifetime rebelling against God and ignoring Jesus Christ.

6) What was his (#4) ultimate fate? -- "Weeping and gnashing of teeth" is a metaphor for the sorrow of those who are confronted with responsibility for their own rebellion against God and rejection of Jesus Christ during this lifetime. This is a place/time of punishment and/or separation from God ... while fully aware of what one could have had by simply turning to Christ for Salvation.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-21-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:

2) Who are the guests?
Being called is no guarantee of acceptance as you must come, and be what is required or you are kicked out (Uncalled).

Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Zadok View Post
1. wedding feast is the Jesus claiming his bride-groom at the second coming. the overcomers

2. the guests are the overcomers. called and chosen by God.

3. the wedding garment could be the transformed body. the manifestation of the glory of God.

4. good question: (speculation) somebody who has figured out a way to extend life or alter his flesh through other than justification-sanctification-glorification

5. I would imagine b/c he is busted. or b/c he is not on the same exact level as a manifested Son/Daughter of God he is unable to communicate in that realm.

6 kicked out of the Kingdom of God where others will be. Not hell as we know that the Kingdom of God is the Stone Kingdom that will cover the earth with the Glory of the Lord
Can you explain the bolded?

Re: #4, I believe it could be someone who tries to enter, based on their own works (dressed inappropriately), as opposed to salvation through Christ's redemptive work.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Being called is no guarantee of acceptance as you must come, and be what is required or you are kicked out (Uncalled).
I agree. A "transaction" must be made. Romans 10:9

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The first part of the parable (v. 1-7) is an allegory of Israel's unfaithful response to God and His prophets. This leads-up to the invitation extended to the Gentiles ... and anyone who would come.

1) What is the wedding feast? -- aka: 'Wedding supper of the lamb" - Heavenly celebration of Christ and His bride -- Rev. 19:6-9: 6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. 9 And the angel said[a] to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

2) Who are the guests? -- Attending the wedding feast will be not only the Church as the bride of Christ, but others as well. The "others" include Old Testament saints who are going to be raised at the Second Coming, as well as the martyred dead of the Tribulation. As the angel told John to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb” (Revelation 19:9). The marriage supper of the Lamb is a glorious celebration of all who are in Christ!

3) What is the wedding garment? -- Rev. 19:8 - Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God's holy people.)

4) Who is the person dressed inappropriately? - This is a representation of those who expect or hope to approach Holy God (aka: "enter the sheep pen" - John 10:1) on some other basis than grace through faith in Jesus Christ (works, merit, theology, etc). For those prior to the coming of Christ, it is still those who lived by faith in God (ie; “Abraham was declared righteous because of his faith”) -- This is similar to the parable of the sheep and the goats –Matt. 25:31-46)

5) Why was he (#4) speechless? -- Per Rom 1:18-20, those who 'suppress God's truth in their wickedness are without excuse'. The final judgment will not be a trial with lawyers arguing their cases, but, rather the righteous, one-way judgment of an all-knowing God. -- There will be nothing left to say for the one who spends their lifetime rebelling against God and ignoring Jesus Christ.

6) What was his (#4) ultimate fate? -- "Weeping and gnashing of teeth" is a metaphor for the sorrow of those who are confronted with responsibility for their own rebellion against God and rejection of Jesus Christ during this lifetime. This is a place/time of punishment and/or separation from God ... while fully aware of what one could have had by simply turning to Christ for Salvation.
Enjoyed reading this! Always appreciate your wise words.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,040,259 times
Actually this is the scripture that the authority in Spain government used for the Spanish Inquisition in the 1500s which many people were tortured , killed, imprisoned or deported out of the country if your walk with the Lord was not acceptable for the religious

Old 11-21-2014, 05:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually this is the scripture that the authority in Spain government used for the Spanish Inquisition in the 1500s which many people were tortured , killed, imprisoned or deported out of the country if your walk with the Lord was not acceptable for the religious
Yep, many bad things have been done by those claiming to represent God.

Doesn't mean they did and does not change and for God to approve someone being at the wedding feast, they must walk the right walk. Improper application does not change the proper application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity