Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Prove that you are keeping the sabbath day holy without causing anybody else to work for your pleasure. Are you using the internet on the sabbath day? I rest my case. You need Jesus as your Saviour just as much as I do because the Jews could not keep the law and neither can you. That is why I am resting in Him now as saved and I rely only on Him to help me follow His commandments which are higher than the works of the law which means only God can do God's work in me so I can follow Him so that I may know Him & the power of His resurrection when I see myself living as His by faith in Jesus Christ.
That is blasphemous...

Also stating that the Jews could not keep the Law is a lie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Perhaps not out of the ordinary? In those early days of Christianity Christians did consider themselves as Jews. They followed that same Mosauc law and customs of the Jews. They even used the Temple of Jerusalem for private and public worship. It would seem that the Jews and gentile Christians had a coexistence at least in the beginning that would mix customs and even worship.
Evidence?...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The Jews would certainly not stand for such a tolerance of what they believe is pagan services in their places of worship.

His disciples went to the Jewish synagogues on sabbath days for evangelical outreach.
You just contradicted yourself...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You simply deny historical fact. Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism for over 100 years. You may not want to believe this, but it is nevertheless fact.

Nobody could be in an unauthorized religion and Christianity was under the umbrella of Judaism.

You think Christianity began with a Babylonian Sabbath, and Babylonian feast days about a Babylonian Messiah?

It is sad to see people deny the first 100 years of Messianic Judaism, as if none of it happened.
There are many religions that popped and died over night, obviously so did Christianity...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I am surprised I can spell my own name, only made it half way through the 9th grade when I quit school.
I don't believe that...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:48 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Wrong...That is not what it states...

Gen 12:3 And I bless those blessing thee, and him who is disesteeming thee I curse, and blessed in thee have been all families of the ground.'
I wasn't quoting the verse. As I said, the Abrahamic Covenant promises blessings to all the families of the earth (Gen. 12:3). God made promises to Abraham, one of which was that in him all the families of the earth would be blessed.

Quote:
No, that is not what Paul is saying...The Olive Tree is Israel...Not the Abrahamic covenant...If the Gentiles are joined to the original tree, then that tree's original root is still intact and has not changed, just some of the branches...Maybe you'd understand this if you were a farmer...
Again the root of the Olive tree is the Abrahamic Covenant. Both Israel and the Gentile nations are promised blessings by the Abrahamic Covenant. Both Jews and Gentiles partake of the rich root of the Olive tree (Rom. 11:17). But during the Church age Israel has been set aside - (broken off branches) because of unbelief.

As already shown, the Church is neither Jew or Gentile, but Church which is a new creation. This means that the Church is not Israel. When a Jew during the Church age believes in Christ he becomes a part of the Church - a new creation which is neither Jew or Gentile, and therefore not Israel.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Judaism never disappeared.

After the Jewish war, Rome HATED Jews for good reason, I mean, they were at war for 7 years and it was a very bitter thing to see, especially reading Josephus Flavius.

Rome was the whole world, people from all over the world stormed the gates of Jerusalem and imagine how much Rome hated Israel.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a gentile who rejected all other God's for his Passover lamb. This Gentile begins studying the Torah and keeping the feast days that teach about the Messiah.

Imagine a Roman believer after 70 A.D.

Here is a Roman Christian who begins keeping the feasts of Jesus and looking like a Jew.

He was hated much worse than any Jew.

Hadrian hated the Jews and he made a deal with the Greek Orthodox Christians, that if the Greek Orthodox accepted the Saturnalia and stopped anything that looked Jewish, then Hadrian would exile the Jews from Jerusalem and give the synagogues over to the Greek Orthodox.

The fall of Jerusalem and the burning of the great synagogue changed everything. Gentile Christians swamped the synagogues and they were a problem for unbelieving Jews even though they were converts to Judaism.

Rome HAD to separate Gentile Christians from Jews, they had no other choice because if Rome became Christian and all of Rome went to Jerusalem to keep the Passover, then it is obvious that Rome would have fallen into the hands of Judah.

About 135 A.D is when the big separation came that Gentiles had to decide whether to be persecuted with Jews, or to separate from everything that is called of God or that is worshipped.

But Revelation had already shown the mentality of Pagan Christians going back to their Paganism.

But it wasn't till 325 A.D. that it became law.

It became illegal for anyone to keep the Sabbaths and feast days of Jesus and his father.

Anti-Semitism isn't just Jewish hate, it is also hate against the commandments of God because if you really want to hate Jews, then you separate yourself from everything that looks Jewish, and that just happens to be God's religion.

Passover MUST be torn down, and so it was.

Again, references would help...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That is blasphemous...

Also stating that the Jews could not keep the Law is a lie...
Was Jesus a liar then?

John 7:19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?

I would say no.

Can you name one Jew that never had to make a sacrifice for sins? And again? And again?

Did Paul lie?

Romans 9:31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

Galatians 2:21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Philippians 3:9And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Seems deniers will continue to deny 1 Corinthians 16:1-2 that believers were meeting on Sunday when they do their collections.

I understand why some think this only refers to collection for the poor in Jerusalem but that was not the message nor the reason for the collection.

This was a regular collection for the saints as given the order in all churches of Galatia which the believers at Corinth were doing.

Sunday is the first day of the week and there is no escaping when this order for the collection of the saints is to be carried out in all the churches.
It does not state that this was a worship assembly on this day...

1Co 16:1 And concerning the collection that is for the saints, as I directed to the assemblies of Galatia, so also ye--do ye;
1Co 16:2 on every first day of the week, let each one of you lay by him, treasuring up whatever he may have prospered, that when I may come then collections may not be made;

It doesn't say that they were assembling for worship...And you definitely would not do this on the Sabbath...

Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The above are extra-biblical attestations of Sunday worship in the early Church. The Didache mentions gathering on the Lord's day to bread bread. Acts 20:7 refers to this also.
Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.
This should be enough to establish the fact that the Church assembled on Sundays for worship during the first century AD.
It doesn't say that they gathered for worship, it just says that they gathered together to eat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity