Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times

Advertisements

I am going to approach something that I have not seen here before. I would like to start a topical study, and begin with the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost. I want each person to post one or more scriptures that follow in sequence with the previous ones.I will be using the NKJV,and will start with the beginning : ( No comments...just scriptures).
Matthew 1.18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 1.20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, " Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3.11 " I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandles I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Matthew 10.32 " Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him, But the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 28.19 " Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

(Now the next poster. Please go on with the ones in Mark, and use your choice of translations but preferably not the NIV.) ( After we are all done, comments will be welcome.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
NASB Blue letter bible http://cf.blueletterbible.org/search...it&t=NASB&sf=5

Mar 1:8 "I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."
Mar 3:29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"--
Mar 12:36 "David himself said in the Holy Spirit, 'THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD, "SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND, UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET.'"
Mar 13:11 "When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but {it is} the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
NKJV...Bible Gateway

LUKE 1:15
For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.

LUKE1:35
And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.

LUKE1:41
And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

LUKE2:25-26
25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.

LUKE3:21-22
21 When all the people were baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened. 22 And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”

LUKE3 11:13
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask

LUKE3:16
John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
NKJV- BIBLE GATEWAY

John 1:32
And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him.

John 1:33
I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 3:8
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

John 3:34
For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure.

John 4:24
God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth

John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you arespirit, and they are life.

John 7:39
But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given,
because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John 14:17
The Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

John 15:26
“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.

John 16:13
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

John 20:22
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 08-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: add more scripture!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Act 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Last edited by Michelle1210; 08-24-2008 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Romans 1:4
And declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.

Romans 2:29
But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Romans 5:5

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 7:6
But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8:2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

Romans 8:4
That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8:5
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

Romans 8:9
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans 8:10
And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Romans 8:11
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Romans 8:15
For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

Romans 8:16
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Romans 8:23
Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 9:1
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit,

Romans 14:17

For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:16
That I might be a minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering of the Gentiles might be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:19
In mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God, so that from Jerusalem and round about to Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:30
Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Oooops, a lot of the book of Acts was skipped:

Acts 5.3 But Peter said," Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself ?"

Acts 5.32 "And we are wittnesses to these things, and also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those that obey Him."

Acts 6.3 " Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom,whom we may appoint over this business;( also verse 5)

Acts 7.51 "You stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.

Acts 7.55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God,

Acts 8.15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might recieve the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8.17 Then they layed hands on them, and they recieved the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8. 18-19 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, saying, " Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may recieve the Holy Spirit."

Acts 9.17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, " Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Acts 9.31 Then the churches throughout all Judea, Gallilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.

Acts 10.38 " how God annointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with HIm.

Acts 10.44-45 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as amny as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

Acts 10.47 ( Then Peter answered,) " Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have ?"

Acts 11.15-16 " And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, 'John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

Acts 11.24 For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a gret many people were added to the Lord.

Acts 13.2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, " Now separate to Me Barnabas anhd Saul for the work, to which I have called them."

Acts 13.4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cypress.
Acts 13.9 Then Saul, who also is called Paul,filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him

Acts 13.52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 15.8 " So God, who knows the heart; acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us,

Acts 15.28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:

Acts 16.6-7 Now when they had gone through Phrygia and the region of Galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia.After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them.

Acts 19.2 he said to them, "Did you recieved the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

Acts 19.6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Acts 20.23 " except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me.

Acts 20.28 " Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Acts 21.11 When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his own hands and feet and said,"Thus says the Holy Spirit,'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.' "

Acts 28.25 So when they did not agree among themselves, thay departed after Paul had said one word: " The Holy Spirit spoke rightly through Isaiah the prophet to our fathers,

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM

I see some are posting the verses that do not contain the word "holy" . Since I am working on the concordance list of the verses that contain "Holy" I will continue in that vein. The other verses with other mention of the Spirit will be added later. ( Except when another verse immediately follows the one that says " Holy Spirit" ).

1 Corinthians 2.13 These are the words we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2.14 But the natural man does not recieve the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 6.19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God,and you are not your own?

1 Corinthians 12.3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed,and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

2 Corinthians 6.6 by purity,by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love.

2 Corinthians 13.14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM

Galatians 3:2
This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:3
Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 3:5
Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?—

Galatians 3:14
That the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Galatians 4:6
And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

Galatians 4:29
But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Galatians 5:16
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Galatians 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Galatians 6:8
For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,667 times
Eph 1:13In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 4:30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

1Th 1:5
For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

1Th 1:6And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

1Th 4:8

He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity