Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times

Advertisements

On this forum, the terms "fundamentalist or fundie" are most often used in a pejorative manner to denigrate Christians whom the name-caller thinks take the Bible and Christianity too literally or seriously.

Properly used, "fundamentalism" is certainly not the 'negative blight' that some imagine. Here is a reasonably accurate definition:

“A ‘fundamentalist’ is one who believes the Bible is the inerrant authority on faith and life, salvation is achieved only through faith in Jesus Christ, and he or she has a personal responsibility to share this belief with non-Christians.”

... What's wrong with that??

Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
On this forum, the terms "fundamentalist or fundie" are most often used in a pejorative manner to denigrate Christians whom the name-caller thinks take the Bible and Christianity too literally or seriously.

Properly used, "fundamentalism" is certainly not the 'negative blight' that some imagine. Here is a reasonably accurate definition:

“A ‘fundamentalist’ is one who believes the Bible is the inerrant authority on faith and life, salvation is achieved only through faith in Jesus Christ, and he or she has a personal responsibility to share this belief with non-Christians.”

I actually agree with you about the way the word is often used. When I was a Christian, we did not label ourselves as fundamentalists, but when I heard people define the term, it did apply so I would own that. But it always seemed to me that the people who were using the term were doing it in a derogatory way. I avoid using the term now, because I know that I didn't appreciate the connotation behind it when I was one. I have issues with the beliefs of fundamentalists now, but that doesn't mean I want to intentionally be hurtful.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 AM

322 posts, read 243,422 times
Quote:

So many seem to not understand the meaning of words these day's. Or they strive to create new meanings for words. I have observed in life and sports that those who focus on the "fundamentals" always achieve more. Perhaps the disdain for those who well is the root cause of some trying to turn a positive thing like fundamentals into a negative. It would appear they are calling "good" things "evil" and "evil" things "good". Seems I recall reading scripture about that being the case.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Any "belief" based Christianity. You can't be saved by God unless you "believe" what they tell you to believe.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You can't be saved by God unless you "believe" what they tell you to believe.
... that about sums it up.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

Not everyone "believes" the same way as you?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,159 times
Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Any "belief" based Christianity. You can't be saved by God unless you "believe" what they tell you to believe.
I'm not sure who "they" are, or what "they" are telling you to believe", but, the path to Salvation through Jesus Christ has remained the unchanged, central theme of New Testament scripture for 2000 years.

Everyone, including you, believes something! Whether what one believes is 'true' or not, or remains unchanged, is another matter.

What do YOU believe about 'Christianity' and "being saved by God?"

Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Not everyone "believes" the same way as you?
Obviously true! ... which is the purpose of this thread. What do you believe?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
So many seem to not understand the meaning of words these day's. Or they strive to create new meanings for words. I have observed in life and sports that those who focus on the "fundamentals" always achieve more. Perhaps the disdain for those who well is the root cause of some trying to turn a positive thing like fundamentals into a negative. It would appear they are calling "good" things "evil" and "evil" things "good". Seems I recall reading scripture about that being the case.
The "fundamental" belief that the bible is the inerrant "word of God" isn't good, and some of what has come out of it is evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity