Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

As Christians, I believe, we are obligated to admit that. When people question us, as Christians, about things, such as evil that men do, paleontological life, dinosaurs and wooly mammoth, et al, any number of things, we don't have any answers. Spouting scripture, dogmatically, and professing that we, as humans, can POSSIBLY understand Gods ways, is a lie, worthy of censure by the Lord.

Me, I gaze upon the fossil remains of fantastic creatures, I see the evil men do to each other, I see people who, according to some, are "outside God's Grace" in sin, but, I don't question ANY of it. I wonder at it. The questions I ask , are of myself, not The Lord. When my time comes, I will understand, and have answers, but this is NOT now. I make NO proclamations in Gods Name, nor do I sit in judgement or a mantle of "knowledge", because, I know nothing.

However, at some point, I will. In the meantime, I revel and am entranced, by the wonders of the ages, and my current surroundings. Revel in them, actually. When people question my Faith, I just shrug, and tell them I have no clue what Gods Plan may be. Only that He has one, and when I can understand it, I will know, but not till then, will it happen.

God does not "protect" me, in this life. He but comforts me. He offers me no knowledge, just a promise of it, when I am ready. My life is mine, to live as I will, and He knows I will make mistakes. Call that "sin" if you will. But, I will not live in evil. Sometimes, a little evil is required, for a greater good. God, Himself, recognizes the nature of this life. The Promise, lays beyond this life.

The Old Testament is rife with blood and anger. Death and mayhem. The New Testament is as well, but that evil is translated as sacrifice, on behalf of we of humanity. And ..a plea, that we accept that sacrifice, and try to be better. However, we still have no clue of Gods mind. As Christians, we must, above all, be humble, in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As Christians, I believe, we are obligated to admit that. When people question us, as Christians, about things, such as evil that men do, paleontological life, dinosaurs and wooly mammoth, et al, any number of things, we don't have any answers. Spouting scripture, dogmatically, and professing that we, as humans, can POSSIBLY understand Gods ways, is a lie, worthy of censure by the Lord.

Me, I gaze upon the fossil remains of fantastic creatures, I see the evil men do to each other, I see people who, according to some, are "outside God's Grace" in sin, but, I don't question ANY of it. I wonder at it. The questions I ask , are of myself, not The Lord. When my time comes, I will understand, and have answers, but this is NOT now. I make NO proclamations in Gods Name, nor do I sit in judgement or a mantle of "knowledge", because, I know nothing.

However, at some point, I will. In the meantime, I revel and am entranced, by the wonders of the ages, and my current surroundings. Revel in them, actually. When people question my Faith, I just shrug, and tell them I have no clue what Gods Plan may be. Only that He has one, and when I can understand it, I will know, but not till then, will it happen.

God does not "protect" me, in this life. He but comforts me. He offers me no knowledge, just a promise of it, when I am ready. My life is mine, to live as I will, and He knows I will make mistakes. Call that "sin" if you will. But, I will not live in evil. Sometimes, a little evil is required, for a greater good. God, Himself, recognizes the nature of this life. The Promise, lays beyond this life.

The Old Testament is rife with blood and anger. Death and mayhem. The New Testament is as well, but that evil is translated as sacrifice, on behalf of we of humanity. And ..a plea, that we accept that sacrifice, and try to be better. However, we still have no clue of Gods mind. As Christians, we must, above all, be humble, in that regard.
When you make such an admission then you concede that you don't know whether God is good or evil. So, I'm not sure you'll have many theists agreeing with you.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
When you make such an admission then you concede that you don't know whether God is good or evil. So, I'm not sure you'll have many theists agreeing with you.
Probably not. I will profess that my Heart tells me, the Lord IS good. But, of his works, and what wonders He may work, in that Good, I remain, only, a humble servant, who does not question His Mind. Nor, do I claim to know His Will. This was my road toe Him. I quit asking why, how, what for. Those questions will be answered. When I'm ready for the answers, and am I. His Kingdom. Till then, I will live as good, and simple, a life as I can. I will honor Him, love my woman, and do what I must.

Those who profess to speak for Him, to know His mind, and tell me what I must do, with that as their basis, may join the Pharasis. Our Lord gave us His only Son, and He suffered, that we may live, and know the Father. And be humble in His Grace.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:

Why not? Why don't you question it? Surely you are capable of independent thoughts and want to know these things.

Quote:

I'm guess I'm just not understanding the point of being religious. God doesn't talk to you, you can't hear him, and you're telling me he doesn't protect you or give you any answers to anything either. It sounds like God's (if he exists) getting a lot out of you, and you aren't getting a thing out of him, except a big maybe something you-know-not-what after you die

Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Probably not. I will profess that my Heart tells me, the Lord IS good. But, of his works, and what wonders He may work, in that Good, I remain, only, a humble servant, who does not question His Mind. Nor, do I claim to know His Will. This was my road toe Him. I quit asking why, how, what for. Those questions will be answered. When I'm ready for the answers, and am I. His Kingdom. Till then, I will live as good, and simple, a life as I can. I will honor Him, love my woman, and do what I must.

Those who profess to speak for Him, to know His mind, and tell me what I must do, with that as their basis, may join the Pharasis. Our Lord gave us His only Son, and He suffered, that we may live, and know the Father. And be humble in His Grace.
Do you understand how this sounds like the Branch Dividians talking about their Lord, David Koresh, or the Jim Jones followers?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
Hi NV. I understand your statement and I don't think you are anything like David Koresh or Jim Jones' followers. I admire your faith and peace.

Myself...my questions drove me to search for answers for the more I accepted what the church taught about hell the harder it was for me to believe that God was a loving father or that He was in control, I couldn't see how both could be true.

So though I still wonder and have some questions, most of my larger, more pressing questions were answered to my personal satisfaction.

Have a super fantastic weekend and I pray your faith is sufficient to carry you through the storms that you will most likely endure in the days/years to come.

Peace and God's blessings

Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why not? Why don't you question it? Surely you are capable of independent thoughts and want to know these things.

I'm guess I'm just not understanding the point of being religious. God doesn't talk to you, you can't hear him, and you're telling me he doesn't protect you or give you any answers to anything either. It sounds like God's (if he exists) getting a lot out of you, and you aren't getting a thing out of him, except a big maybe something you-know-not-what after you die
I don't relate to op's approach for myself, but he said he gets comfort. If that is true, you are mistaken to say that he gets nothing out of it.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
"The Lord guides the humble to righteousness and He teaches the meek His way."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity