Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Pope doesn't have the the power to sell/donate items that belong to the church. Chalices, paintings, etc. in the Vatican belong to the office of the papacy. Not the Pope himself.

Personally, I think Francis would have no trouble doing it.... but he can't. It's not his to sell or give away.
You're wrong. The Pope has complete and total control over the entire estate of the RCC.
Last year he opened up the Sistine Chapel for a corporate concert/dinner and all the proceeds
went to the poor of Rome. This caused an uproar within the Church.
The artifacts, icons and sacramentals of the Church were made for the Glory of God, to
praise Him. They are not to be sold. The poor will always be with us. There is not an
institution on Earth which has done and does more for the poor and persecuted than
Catholic charities and organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
You're wrong. The Pope has complete and total control over the entire estate of the RCC.
Last year he opened up the Sistine Chapel for a corporate concert/dinner and all the proceeds
went to the poor of Rome. This caused an uproar within the Church.
The artifacts, icons and sacramentals of the Church were made for the Glory of God, to
praise Him. They are not to be sold. The poor will always be with us. There is not an
institution on Earth which has done and does more for the poor and persecuted than
Catholic charities and organizations.
If true, about the concert charity, I would love to read about that. Have you got a link to a report on it. I think that's grand if it happened. I love this Pope. How could anyone find fault with him, really?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
If true, about the concert charity, I would love to read about that. Have you got a link to a report on it. I think that's grand if it happened. I love this Pope. How could anyone find fault with him, really?
click here: Let me google that for you

Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini was a key element which altered the financial future of the Catholic Church.
In 1929, Mussolini made Vatican City a sovereign country in exchange
for their endorsement of him as the "rightful leader of Italy"...

"By giving them back the sovereignty, he gave the Vatican something that no other religion had and that is the
ability to be both a religion and a country at the same time."
Additionally, Mussolini paid the Church one billion dollars which was subsequently invested in various project around the
world that allowed this huge sum of money to grow even larger, leading to the creation of the Vatican Bank in 1942.

...the Vatican Bank would become "probably the largest, private, secret offshore
banking institution on the planet."
This is what I mean...pretty words...come on ...let's feed some people,
build some housing, dig some wells in African villages, they can stay 'poor',
fund some doctors to do free surgeries, etc...do it secretly
if you are afraid of feeding the entire needy world...

I know they do SOME good work, they would have to...it is not enough...not
with all that they have.
I know they couldn't help every single person on earth...
But, some protective buildings, clean water would be a small start in more places.

Not many things sadden my heart...but this 'gets to me'.
Sigh.

Saying that the Church does give and help doesn't change my heart...they
do NOT do enough with what they have...sorry...I can't be swayed to let them
off the hook.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-13-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I imagine you have seen the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". All these comments saying money will not help the poor remind me of George Bailey (a character in the movie) talking to his angel (Clarence) who tells George "I haven't got any money - it's not used in heaven", to which George replies, "Well it sure comes in quite handy down here on earth, buddy". There is not one person posting here if he/she were stripped of all their money for any number of reasons that could not be helped by someone wealthy coming along and giving them a financial handout. Not one. In fact, I find that those who blame poverty on the poor to be similar to those who blame rape on the victim. If you read the bible, you will find out pretty darn quick how God feels about the rich oppressing the poor, wage theft, greed, etc.... so I disagree with all who keep saying that poverty is not a fiscal issue. That is B.S.

I never said it was the poors fault that they are poor. I said money isn't the answer. Poverty is a result of politics and power. If you drain the wealth of the Catholic Church and give the money to the poor, it will simply get funneled to some powerful warlord or government. The poor may get a meal or two but over a short period of time, the money will disappear into the hands of the powerful and the poor will be just as poor again.

It's a fact. And you are naive if you think otherwise.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini was a key element which altered the financial future of the Catholic Church.
In 1929, Mussolini made Vatican City a sovereign country in exchange
for their endorsement of him as the "rightful leader of Italy"...

"By giving them back the sovereignty, he gave the Vatican something that no other religion had and that is the
ability to be both a religion and a country at the same time."
Additionally, Mussolini paid the Church one billion dollars which was subsequently invested in various project around the
world that allowed this huge sum of money to grow even larger, leading to the creation of the Vatican Bank in 1942.

...the Vatican Bank would become "probably the largest, private, secret offshore
banking institution on the planet."
This is what I mean...pretty words...come on ...let's feed some people,
build some housing, dig some wells in African villages, they can stay 'poor',
fund some doctors to do free surgeries, etc...do it secretly
if you are afraid of feeding the entire needy world...

I know they do SOME good work, they would have to...it is not enough...not
with all that they have.
I know they couldn't help every single person on earth...
But, some protective buildings, clean water would be a small start in more places.

Not many things sadden my heart...but this 'gets to me'.
Sigh.

Saying that the Church does give and help doesn't change my heart...they
do NOT do enough with what they have...sorry...I can't be swayed to let them
off the hook.
Again, the Catholic Church does more for charity, education and healthcare in the world than all other charities COMBINED!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just 1 painting hanging on some hallway wall in the Vatican, or a gold chalice used by
some 4th c pope would sell for a couple $million or more...what that would do for
the people in the slums there.

He is a nice guy that has a lot of pretty words...but gee, hows about some practical action?

I could never remain in a church like that.

Thoughts?
Maybe use it to influence politicians to the benefit of those hurting. Wait they do that. hasn't helped much has it. Then the money laundering for the Mafia. Humm, gotta truly want to help, not just ..... increase your power.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they do give a ton of money to the poor. Money makes money, so they can give more. But they could give every red cent away and it wouldn't matter. We would just find something else to rail on. It is a church of humans and they range from ape to awake just like any other large group.
The paintings are not making MONEY--They are POSSESSIONS--Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

He did not say HOARD your possessions and demand tithes from the people to finance the food kitchen..

Love your neighbor and do not require the poor, hungry and homeless to justify themselves. OR use your god-n-the-tiny-box to justify IGNORING the least of them and continue living in that POSH home, wearing fine clothes and eating angus beef while the least of them perish..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Maybe use it to influence politicians to the benefit of those hurting. Wait they do that. hasn't helped much has it. Then the money laundering for the Mafia. Humm, gotta truly want to help, not just ..... increase your power.
When has this ever happened??

Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Again, the Catholic Church does more for charity, education and healthcare in the world than all other charities COMBINED!
Possibly true, but ...they do very little to actually teach people about God which is of far greater value. In fact their behavior for centuries in Europe is why religion is going away there rapidly. Just look what they did to the inhabitants of Central and South America with the Spanish conquerors. I do find it interesting that the majority of "3rd world" Countries in the "West" were dominated by ... the Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity