Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I must admit, I do not see how this post is in any way responsive to mine. What are you trying to say about your acceptance of barbarity and a bully God?
G-d's not a bully...We, as humans, are a bunch of whinny little spoiled brats that want to do what we want to do without any responsibility or repercussions for our screw-ups...In other words, we want to make up our own rules...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I've pretty much been a warrior since I was 19...Don't like bullies...Feel protective of those who can't protect themselves...The world is screwed up and I do what I have to do...So that others don't have to do it...
Quote:
I must admit, I do not see how this post is in any way responsive to mine. What are you trying to say about your acceptance of barbarity and a bully God?
Quote:
G-d's not a bully...We, as humans, are a bunch of whinny little spoiled brats that want to do what we want to do without any responsibility or repercussions for our screw-ups...In other words, we want to make up our own rules...
Unresponsive. Let me try again. How are your warrior statements relevant to the discussion?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Unresponsive. Let me try again. How are your warrior statements relevant to the discussion?
I am surprised that you cannot figure that out...The reason I have no issues with the way G-d does things is that I am a warrior and realize that humanity is screwed up and that there are time things have to be done for the greater good...I don't want to but it is what it is...

Old 11-04-2015, 10:47 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
I am surprised that you cannot figure that out...The reason I have no issues with the way G-d does things is that I am a warrior and realize that humanity is screwed up and that there are time things have to be done for the greater good...I don't want to but it is what it is...
Ah, I begin to understand you a little better then. Regrettably, like Wood, I was a warrior in Viet Nam whose actions caused significant angst and remorse leading to a very different take on life and how we should respond to it. I was a B52 Radar Navigator/Bombardier in the USAF Strategic Air Command. In my 67 combat missions, I personally delivered over 4.5 million pounds of bombs. Gazillions of acres of jungle, supplies, structures, ordnance, equipment, weapons, wildlife, pets, babies, women, children and combatants were utterly demolished. It was upon my return to the states that I also had my unexpected epiphany and the complete elimination of my atheism. This added some urgency to understanding what the heck I had experienced and what our reality is all about, leading to 40+ years of study and investigation. We do not approach life and people from the same vantage point, Richard. I recognize and eschew barbarity in all its forms no matter what the reasons offered for it. I could no more love a God guilty of such barbarity than I could love my own actions in Nam.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
The idea of doing evil that good may come is self-defeating and the excuse for the most heinous crimes in our history..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The idea of doing evil that good may come is self-defeating and the excuse for the most heinous crimes in our history..
Not so...Excuses are not reasons...

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Ah, I begin to understand you a little better then. Regrettably, like Wood, I was a warrior in Viet Nam whose actions caused significant angst and remorse leading to a very different take on life and how we should respond to it. I was a B52 Radar Navigator/Bombardier in the USAF Strategic Air Command. In my 67 combat missions, I personally delivered over 4.5 million pounds of bombs. Gazillions of acres of jungle, supplies, structures, ordnance, equipment, weapons, wildlife, pets, babies, women, children and combatants were utterly demolished. It was upon my return to the states that I also had my unexpected epiphany and the complete elimination of my atheism. This added some urgency to understanding what the heck I had experienced and what our reality is all about, leading to 40+ years of study and investigation. We do not approach life and people from the same vantage point, Richard. I recognize and eschew barbarity in all its forms no matter what the reasons offered for it. I could no more love a God guilty of such barbarity than I could love my own actions in Nam.
My whole life, from the time I was a teen, was with the ideal of meeting a good woman and settling down, preferably on a farm with lots of woods around and a small town with a tight-knit community of good folks, and having children and loving from the heart, you know, where you physically feel this wonderful pressure in your chest that is not due to a heart-attack onset, and just enjoying life like sitting on the porch with a glass of Sunny-Time lemonade and holding my wife's hand and chatting about various things while watching the sun go down, and thinking about the eventuality of gran'babies on the horizon and then, eventually, peacefully passing on with my loved ones around me...Although I still feel as such, my ten years of service developed another side to me that allowed me to do what I had to do without permanently becoming that other type of individual...Sort of like a psychological switch, if you will...There are many experiences in my life that I wish that I could erase and remember no more...

Sometimes one has to fight fire with fire...And I resent it when I am forced into such a situation...Which is why I avoid physical confrontations now...I do not desire to see that other side of me...I do not want to have to "flip that switch", so to speak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity