Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times

Advertisements

As George Fox said "there is that of God in every man."

We already have God inside of us. We were all made in God's image. Therefore it is important to listen to that inner voice from God's reflection.

It is hard to find quiet areas. Seems like you can always hear cars, an airplane overhead, music, etc......Then try to shut out your inner thoughts, self-doubts, your wants of material goods.

It is important to try and spend some time in nature away from the distractions. Get out now that it is summer and just listen in silence......perhaps with a friend or family member...find that part that is already in you, which is God.

Psalm 46 states "Be still, and know that I am God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 01:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

We already have God inside of us. We were all made in God's image. Therefore it is important to listen to that inner voice from God's reflection.

It is hard to find quiet areas. Seems like you can always hear cars, an airplane overhead, music, etc......Then try to shut out your inner thoughts, self-doubts, your wants of material goods.

It is important to try and spend some time in nature away from the distractions. Get out now that it is summer and just listen in silence......perhaps with a friend or family member...find that part that is already in you, which is God.

That's what the practice of centering prayer is based on.

https://www.contemplativeoutreach.or...ntering-prayer

It was also the sermon today in my church. The OT reading was where the voice of God was not in the wind, earthquake, or fire, but in the silence, and the priest reminded us to take time to be in silence.

This is an idea that can be applied to any spiritual path, although I know that the Friends made that the core of their religious practice.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
While scuba-diving, there is peace of mind - no commotion or noise.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Then there is a greater loud rejoicing with God , and in Luke 19:37-40 ......``And when Jesus was come, even now at the decent of the mount of olives , the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen ..... saying , Blessed be the King that comes in the name of the Lord Peace in heaven , and glory in the highest .......... Then some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said to him Master rebuke your disciples........... And Jesus answered and said to them `I tell you that , if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out ``.................... See may be in prayer , believer could be quiet in waiting on the Lord , but with some worship cheering the Lord is accepted .....

Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
While scuba-diving, there is peace of mind - no commotion or noise.
Fishing works for me.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM

421 posts, read 153,524 times
Quote:

This is the biggest advantage of being single.

I like quiet.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
This is the biggest advantage of being single.

I like quiet.
Do you feel lonely in a crowd?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM

421 posts, read 153,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you feel lonely in a crowd?
Yep. That's me. According to my personality test, I'm either a theologian, a civil rights activist, a comedian or a serial killer.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,934 times
Quote:

Uh, no.

" No peace for the wicked. "
" No peace for all mankind ", says the Lord.

You misunderstand scripture and the power of God.

" The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants,the prophets. "

Old 06-24-2019, 08:34 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Uh, no.

" No peace for the wicked. "
" No peace for all mankind ", says the Lord.

You misunderstand scripture and the power of God.

" The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants,the prophets. "

Thank you for the reply,

Perhaps I do misunderstand......I haven't a good head...wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood.

Is it possible that people can have different types of faith that God loves nonetheless?

My faith says that there are times to be silent and listen. Yes, there are also times to talk. I often feel a closeness to God when I am in silence and it relieves a lot of my troubles and makes me feel loved.

Here are some quotes that I could be misinterpreting, but think shows value in silence:

Ecclesiastes 3:7 "a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak"

Lamentations 3:26 "It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

Psalm 62:5 "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him."

James 1:19 "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry"

Proverbs 17:27 "Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding."

Revelations 8:1 "And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour"

Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!"

Habakkuk 2:20 “But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him”

When Jesus was brought before Pontias Pilate he refused to answer the charges against him and Pilate said (John 19:10) "You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you"

More on Jesus at trial...Isaiah 53:7 "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth."

Proverbs 17:27-28 "The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent."

This above quote might backfire on me! I don't know as much as most of you. I've read through a lot of threads here and am impressed.

When Quaker Alice Paul picketed the White House for Woman's suffrage she called her group "Silent Sentinels" based off of what she called Biblical principles to not escalate aggression against them and to listen to the inner truth. When arrested on false charges she went to trial where she refused to enter a plea or defend herself and stood silently. I think there is some power in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity