Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
So you read his words and still balk? You didn't get his point?
Not much point at saying anything further to you in this regard is there?
The only one coopting here is you.

I read his words, they just don't apply to your point. Ive read numerous in depth books on Einstein ( guys like Einstein, Sagan, Hawking, De Grasse being favorite subjects of mine ), and am currently reading one in which his spirituality is expressed in his own words on various topics. No where does he support any beliefs you put forth here, yet you mistakenly quote him for support.

And no, not much else to say if you are so confused that you don't really understand where Einstein stood on religion and evolution. I suggest you take the time to learn more about what you speak of before speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Geez, I really hope you don't build bridges.

Amen to that. Or any field in which peoples lives depend on his "knowledge" of science.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
it's exactly my point, and just as in this forum, they are not the MASS, they are the very noisy/empty can minority. Are you trying to be a part of that group?
Are you of the opinion that I care whether some creationist with a vastly inflated view of his understanding of science puts me on ignore because I help point out his errors?

Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Are you of the opinion that I care whether some creationist with a vastly inflated view of his understanding of science puts me on ignore because I help point out his errors?
Not to brag.....but I think that's how I got on his list.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Clearly NOT what I asked.
Well, it's clearly what I thought you were asking. Your exact words were, "How old would Adam have been measured by our current technology, on the first day of his existence?" I answered your question the way I interpreted it.

Quote:
It's not really hard to tell if one is honest and IN the Spirit when reading it.
Oh really? You've got that kind of insight into other people's hearts, huh? Man, you are really something.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you understand what you copied and pasted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Geez, I really hope you don't build bridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Really? There are massive explosions equivalent to the detonation of 15 million pounds of TNT happening regularly?

Tell us more. Links would be good.
Did you even understand the point? Did you get fixated on the big bang and lose focus? No wonder you get fooled with this stuff.

You were supposed to be looking at the role the theory played in the scenario.

The way you reacted to my post, equals what I feel about you guys and evolution.

----------------------------

Oops - forgot the link. Here's three.

This date in science: The Tunguska explosion

The Tunguska Impact--100 Years Later

1908 SIBERIA EXPLOSION: Reconstructing an Asteroid Impact from Eywitness Accounts

You guys are clueless.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 10-30-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.
The scientists’ religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.
– Albert Einstein
Let's make sure we understand Einstein's "belief" system. It was closer to the pantheistic views of Spinoza.
If you had bothered to do even a small amount of research you might have found this from his Autobiographical Notes. He both gained and lost the Jewish faith of his childhood:

Quote:
I came—though the child of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents—to a deep religiousness, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of twelve. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression. Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment—an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections. It is quite clear to me that the religious paradise of youth, which was thus lost, was a first attempt to free myself from the chains of the 'merely personal,' from an existence dominated by wishes, hopes, and primitive feelings. Out yonder there was this huge world, which exists independently of us human beings and which stands before us like a great, eternal riddle, at least partially accessible to our inspection and thinking. The contemplation of this world beckoned as a liberation, and I soon noticed that many a man whom I had learned to esteem and to admire had found inner freedom and security in its pursuit. The mental grasp of this extra-personal world within the frame of our capabilities presented itself to my mind, half consciously, half unconsciously, as a supreme goal. Similarly motivated men of the present and of the past, as well as the insights they had achieved, were the friends who could not be lost. The road to this paradise was not as comfortable and alluring as the road to the religious paradise; but it has shown itself reliable, and I have never regretted having chosen it.
Einstein, Albert (1979). Autobiographical Notes. Chicago: Open Court Publishing Company, pp. 3-5.

Einstein was a confirmed agnostic, although he flat out rejected atheism as he did the idea of a "personal" god.

When it comes to science, not many even today could top Einstein in mathematical calculations. But if you wish to quote someone standing up for Jesus---well, he is in no way your guy--or mine either.

For those who may be unfamiliar with pantheism:
Quote:
Pantheism is the belief that the Universe (or nature as the totality of everything) is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

You've got that kind of insight into other people's hearts, huh? Man, you are really something.
IIRC Stanley is getting messages from God concerning his ignore list. Who has a good heart. Who has a bad heart. Who has the Spirit. Who doesn't. Yep....Stanley is taking up God's time discussing his internet ignore lists.

'Cause those Syrian refugees can just wait while Stanley asks God if wallflash is worth answering in the YEC thread.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you even understand the point? Did you get fixated on the big bang and lose focus? No wonder you get fooled with this stuff.

The way you reacted to my post, equals what I feel about you guys and evolution.

1908 SIBERIA EXPLOSION: Reconstructing an Asteroid Impact from Eywitness Accounts

You guys are clueless.
I want to be sure I understand your point: Are you saying the Big Bang had some relation to the Siberian asteroid.

And/or the Big Bang has something to do with evolution?

Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

You guys are clueless.
Most of us are well aware of the Tunguska event.

The point is, you copied and pasted something, and now gave links about it, but you gave no indication of UNDERSTANDING how a theory comes about... none. You keep mixing up terminology that if it were food would make a great paella, if asked how it was made, you would have no idea.

It's like the joke (true story) a local Indian Chief told me:

"What did the Indian say the first time he saw a pizza?"

Answer:

"Who puked on my bannock".

You have to understand what bannock is to get that joke. Just like you have to understand that a theory is and how it is different from a hypothesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity