Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times

Advertisements

Mormons leaving the church in protest

How long before God issues a new decree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 02:45 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,814,617 times
I believe they might actually know who the 144000 are.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:53 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
Still 900 people ready to leave is not a lot, as it goes against the morals of the great commission from Jesus to convert ever creature to the ends of the earth , as Jesus is called to sinners to be baptized and be saved ...........I would be in a different church right away forgiving the Mormon church and getting right back into peace with God , as the spiritual warfare would be dangerous for all people who walk in the spirit from these church as the devil will have a field day with the house divided Best to pray for peace on these churches

Old 11-14-2015, 03:56 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Hundreds! Oh no!

Old 11-14-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Hundreds! Oh no!
Christianity started with just 12...the reformation started with ONE...

Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
*yawn*

Okay, here's the funny part... (from the article the OP quoted):

Attorney Mark Naugle said church members who want to resign brought the letters to his office on Saturday. "We had an incredible turnout," he said. "I was slammed for three hours. Some people stood in line for an hour and a half."

Since when does a person need an attorney to resign from the LDS Church? I'm not saying I agree with the new policy, because I don't, but what the hell are 1000 people turning their resignations in to an attorney for anyway? Any Mormon who wants to leave the Church knows how to go about it, and it doesn't involve some kind of legal process. You submit a letter to your bishop, not to a lawyer. These people are simply trying to make a statement, but their letters aren't going to do them one bit of good. If they really want to leave, they'll go through the proper channels, and they know this. This is obviously one way of voicing your opinion and getting the Church leadership to be aware of how you feel, I guess, but it's not going to accomplish anything except to give Attorney Mark Naugle his 15 minutes of feeling like a big shot.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-14-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
*yawn*

Okay, here's the funny part... (from the article the OP quoted):

Attorney Mark Naugle said church members who want to resign brought the letters to his office on Saturday. "We had an incredible turnout," he said. "I was slammed for three hours. Some people stood in line for an hour and a half."

Since when does a person need an attorney to resign from the LDS Church? I'm not saying I agree with the new policy, because I don't, but what the hell are 1000 people turning their resignations in to an attorney for anyway? Any Mormon who wants to leave the Church knows how to go about it, and it doesn't involve some kind of legal process. You submit a letter to your bishop, not to a lawyer. These people are simply trying to make a statement, but their letters aren't going to do them one bit of good. If they really want to leave, they'll go through the proper channels, and they know this. This is obviously one way of voicing your opinion and getting the Church leadership to be aware of how you feel, I guess, but it's not going to accomplish anything except to give Attorney Mark Naugle his 15 minutes of feeling like a big shot.
From what I understand, it has to do with having your name removed from he official records and no longer counted as a member.

Any one can leave and stop attending, but their name remains on the record.

This is known as "Name Removal" or "Resignation". This removes your name from the active records - stopping nearly all contact from Bishops, Home or Visiting Teachers and Ward members. This also stops all forms of Church Courts - known as "Administrative Action".

Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
From what I understand, it has to do with having your name removed from he official records and no longer counted as a member.

Any one can leave and stop attending, but their name remains on the record.

This is known as "Name Removal" or "Resignation". This removes your name from the active records - stopping nearly all contact from Bishops, Home or Visiting Teachers and Ward members. This also stops all forms of Church Courts - known as "Administrative Action".
I know exactly what it is, and it is not done by a lawyer. You submit a letter to your bishop; it goes from there to your stake president and from there to Church headquarters. You may be asked to meet with your bishop or stake president somewhere along the way, and efforts may be made to get you to reconsider. If, however, you really want your name removed from the Church's records, and you make this clear, you'll get exactly what you want. Period. It doesn't take a lawyer, and having one isn't going to help you in the slightest.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-14-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,303,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know exactly what it is, and it is not done by a lawyer. You submit a letter to your bishop; it goes from there to your stake president and from there to Church headquarters. You may be asked to meet with your bishop or stake president somewhere along the way, and efforts may be made to get you to reconsider. If, however, you really want your name removed from the Church's records, and make this clear, you'll get exactly what you want. As far as the Church is concerned, your name will no longer be on the records of the Church. Period. It doesn't take a lawyer, and having one isn't going to help you in the slightest.
I still have a hard time believing that the official number of church members is adjusted when people resign. According to their records, membership numbers continue to grow. The church has a way of painting a more grandiose picture of itself than is reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ership_numbers

Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I still have a hard time believing that the official number of church members is adjusted when people resign. According to their records, membership numbers continue to grow. The church has a way of painting a more grandiose picture of itself than is reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ership_numbers
You don't believe it, but you have absolutely no reason not to, other than some kind of a gut feel. The Church does baptize more new members each year than it loses members who request that their names be removed from its records. Obviously, not all newly baptized individuals remain active in the Church. Retention rates are far below what the Church would like to see.

You know that in the LDS Church, congregations are formed strictly along geographical boundaries. You belong to a specific ward (i.e. congregation) based upon where you live. When the membership of a ward grows too large for the church building it occupies, the ward is split. Two new wards are formed, and often end up meeting in the same building, just at different hours. In some parts of the world (in Utah and some other western states, especially), there may be as many as three separate congregations meeting in a single building. In other areas, where the membership is more spread out and members must travel longer distances to attend services, there is probably just one congregation meeting in a building. The bottom line is that a new LDS church meeting place, seminary, or other facility is completed and dedicated every day (it actually works out to something more on the order of 1 every 16 hours). These building are not sitting empty. They are being built when the need arises, and the need wouldn't be arising if the Church's membership was dropping as opposed to growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity