Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times

Advertisements

Good:
Mainline Protestant (various)
Roman Catholic
Charismatic
Word of Faith
New Thought

Bad:
Evangelical (Southern Baptist, etc)
Nondenominational (most)
Apologetics writings

What do you think of these various categories?

I mainly place the "Bad" churches as those which stress doctrine, teachings and belief. Especially over things like love (which is more important than faith according to Paul) and works. I don't think that belief/faith in itself even matters personally. Granted, there are some churches which are a combination of both good and bad. But this is generally how I see the major types of Christianity. It seems that the bad ones often outnumber the good, particularly in Protestantism. Which is why there is a negative view of Christianity by many outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Any particular reason why Episcopalian did not make the cut on your good list? I ask only because I think I might fit in that denomination if I had to go to church. This is based on here-say, not anything I have experienced first hand.

Word of Faith is on your GOOD list? Why? Aren't they the ones who say "You can have what you say, write your own ticket with God" -- name it and claim it. I would have to put most charismatic/magic churches on my bad list. I have been to many of them years and years ago. My husband thought they were so weird he refused to ever go back. He was raised Methodist.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Any particular reason why Episcopalian did not make the cut on your good list? I ask only because I think I might fit in that denomination if I had to go to church. This is based on here-say, not anything I have experienced first hand.

Word of Faith is on your GOOD list? Why? Aren't they the ones who say "You can have what you say, write your own ticket with God" -- name it and claim it. I would have to put most charismatic/magic churches on my bad list. I have been to many of them years and years ago. My husband thought they were so weird he refused to ever go back. He was raised Methodist.
Episcopalian is definitely at the top of the good list under Mainline Protestant.

Word of Faith is something I think is just misunderstood. I view religious belief as a holistic aspect of the overall person, connected to both his mind and body.

I have had bad experiences at charismatic churches too, but it was because they were a mixture along with evangelical. It may even be that the majority of charismatic churches are evangelical, which would be why they have a negative view by some.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
I would only have new thought in the good list. In saying that any Roman Catholic church or Anglican Church that is Christ centered and not bible centered should be on the good list.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I would only have new thought in the good list. In saying that any Roman Catholic church or Anglican Church that is Christ centered and not bible centered should be on the good list.
It's difficult to place all Roman Catholics into one category. But I am impressed enough with them in their contrast to my evangelical background, that I feel comfortable placing them all into one category. Particularly nowadays.

The Church of England would definitely be in the top of the good list. I guess I should place it there. Particularly in contrast to the evangelical churches in England.

But as far as Anglican churches in the US I'm not sure. I consider the ones I know to be a "mixture" with evangelicalism.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Placing churches in group and making divisions against them is wrong , As people and leaders in Churches who create divisions are what is wrong to God , as it invites the spirit of antichrist .....See a church which may be bad in one city which causes a lot of problems and people do not like them , where the same denomination in a different state may be a blessing from God , as it is not the denomination that is bad but mostly the leader who falter and move away from God and the truth

Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I would only have New Thought in the good list.
Whoa, I had no idea you were such an advocate of the New Thought movement...
Not many even are aware of them...the many authors, that is.

(I could not get involved with the 'good/bad' thing, sorry.)

Old 07-03-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Placing churches in group and making divisions against them is wrong , As people and leaders in Churches who create divisions are what is wrong to God , as it invites the spirit of antichrist .....See a church which may be bad in one city which causes a lot of problems and people do not like them , where the same denomination in a different state may be a blessing from God , as it is not the denomination that is bad but mostly the leader who falter and move away from God and the truth
I was trying to identify the kinds of churches with people having that divisive attitude. On this forum we call usually them fundamentalists.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:26 AM

The Good: Pope Francis, Joyce Meyer, Robert Schuller
The Bad: John Hagee
The Ugly: Billy Graham

I'm trying to identify the kinds of churches which are exclusive and divisive. What it is that makes some churches more loving and inclusive. I place John Hagee in the middle because it's like traditional Pentetostal plus traditional evangelical. So some of his members are more on the good side.

Billy Graham to me represents the most divisive and doctrine-based Christianity. These people would judge the other churches as heretics.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:24 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,988,717 times
Billy Graham: The Ugly? As someone who was born in 1965 and saw the masses come out to hear Graham preach time and time again, and to know he inspired many, and not just in the U.S., to get back in touch with their faith and live moral lives, I have to say he was the most inspirational preacher during my lifetime, and had the most impact on Christians. Outside of someone like Pope John Paul II, Graham was the most influential with Christians in a positive way. Look at old videos of his early trip to the U.K. and watch the impact he had on them. I believe it was in the 1950's. It may be on Youtube, but I watched it on the Billy Graham channel on Roku a couple years ago.

As far as saying which denominations are good or bad, I can't get into that. I have my beliefs as more of an LCMS or WELS Lutheran, but someone else may identify with one of the other denominations that helps them with their faith. Who am I to judge them? If they believe in the Holy Trinity, worship God, and try live moral lives, that's a good thing.

Billy Graham used to bring up a story while preaching about people who told him that they didn't go to church because there were too many hypocrites in church. So Billy told them, when you find a perfect church, join it, and it will no longer be perfect.

I just don't see a need to pick apart someone else's Christian denomination. The church I went to as a kid and was baptized and confirmed in changed Lutheran denominations three times. I was baptized LCMS, confirmed as a member of the American Lutheran Church (ALC), then in 1988 when I was overseas in the military they changed to ELCA. Well, I don't agree with the ELCA on some issues, enough so that I couldn't be a member, so I lost the church I grew up in. It's a beautiful church, and Christmas services were especially wonderful. It left me, however, others love it. Both of my parents belong to ELCA churches, it's just not right for me. That's the beauty of having different denominations, I guess. There are some I definitely don't agree with, but others would disagree with my choice.

Last edited by OhioJB; 07-03-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity