Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times

Advertisements

Indiana Woman Uses State 'Religious Freedom' Law to Justify Lashing Son With Coat Hanger

Said she was trying "to help him learn how to behave as God would want him to.”

"in accordance with her religious beliefs and quoted from the Biblical verse Proverbs 23:13, which states, “Do not withhold discipline from a child: if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.”

Indiana Woman Uses State 'Religious Freedom' Law to Justify Lashing Son With Coat Hanger | Alternet

Thanks, Gov. Pence

I knew eventually this law would be used to justify abusing someone. I never thought it would be used to justify harming a child. This sickens me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:14 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Indiana Woman Uses State 'Religious Freedom' Law to Justify Lashing Son With Coat Hanger

"in accordance with her religious beliefs and quoted from the Biblical verse Proverbs 23:13, which states, “Do not withhold discipline from a child: if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.”

Indiana Woman Uses State 'Religious Freedom' Law to Justify Lashing Son With Coat Hanger | Alternet

Thanks, Gov. Pence

I knew eventually this law would be used to justify abusing someone. I never thought it would be used to justify harming a child. This sickens me.
All I can say is that it wasn't until my mother began wuppin' my bare behind with a coat hanger that I began to pay attention.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:

Thanks, Gov. Pence

Another fine example of the WAR ON CHRISTIANITY!

When will the persecution STOP?

Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Another example of fundamentalists' stupidity and lack of empathy.

You don't HAVE to be stupid to be one. But it hastens the assimilation.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Another example of fundamentalists' stupidity and lack of empathy.

You don't HAVE to be stupid to be one. But it hastens the assimilation.

“Some homes need a hickory switch a good deal more than they do a piano.” Billy Sunday

What does the Bible say?

1. Proverbs 23:13-14 Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won’t die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death.

2. Proverbs 13:24 Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

3. Proverbs 22:15 A child’s heart has a tendency to do wrong, but the rod of discipline removes it far away from him.

4. Proverbs 22:6 Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.

Benefits of discipline

5. Hebrews 12:10-11 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

6. Proverbs 29:15 A rod and reproof impart wisdom, but a child who is unrestrained brings shame to his mother.

7. Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

8. Proverbs 29:17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.

The Bible does not condone child abuse. It does not condone actual physical damage and unnecessary discipline.

9. Proverbs 19:18 Discipline your son while there is hope; don’t be intent on killing him.

10. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, don’t stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Reminders

11. 1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done in love.

12. Proverbs 17:25 Foolish children make their father sad and cause their mother great sorrow.

Just as we discipline our children, God disciplines His children.

13. Hebrews 12:6-7 The Lord disciplines everyone he loves. He severely disciplines everyone he accepts as his child.” Endure your discipline. God corrects you as a father corrects his children. All children are disciplined by their fathers.

14. Deuteronomy 8:5 You shall also consider in your heart, that, as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.

15. Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

Thanks, Gov. Pence

This is not a justification for using the wire. That is abuse.

What the verse is saying is that if no discipline given when a child does something wrong will lead to the potential that the child will grow up to be a criminal and die for his actions. Discipline even if with a rod is better for the child than no discipline at all.

It is not a direction to beat a child harshly, it shows that discipline is better than none at all. Proper discipline, including a spanking at a level that causes no physical harm, is better than allowing a child to do anything they please. In most cases a talking to, being sent to their room, grounded, certain privileges taken away, etc usually are all that is needed.

Most people look at verses like that and instead of reasoning on what is said, simply look for the bad they want to see. The Bible is more than just a book with verses in it, every verse expands beyond just the initial comment when one really thinks about what is said and looks at other scriptures dealing with the subject and the end results of not listening to it. Each verse is really a condensed book and we have to open it further and read what it says in more detail.

God is neither harsh nor stupid, but people are.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
...snip...

God is neither harsh nor stupid, but people are.
The OT god is certainly murderously harsh and terminally stupid.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Transgender laws have unintended conquenses, too.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Just because the Scripture teaches corporal punishment, does not give parents free reign to abuse their children. This woman is using God's word inappropriately, and from what I can tell, completely outside of any church leadership.

Another case of someone claiming the banner of Christianity while rejecting its fundamental teachings and tenets.

Also, this is great click-bait for all those who make it their life's goal to hate a certain group of people, namely Christians, to point and say, 'See? I told you so!' In reality this is an unChristian act that is using the Scripture as a scapegoat.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Just because the Scripture teaches corporal punishment, does not give parents free reign to abuse their children. This woman is using God's word inappropriately, and from what I can tell, completely outside of any church leadership.

Another case of someone claiming the banner of Christianity while rejecting its fundamental teachings and tenets.

Also, this is great click-bait for all those who make it their life's goal to hate a certain group of people, namely Christians, to point and say, 'See? I told you so!' In reality this is an unChristian act that is using the Scripture as a scapegoat.
When does corporal punishment end and abuse begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity