Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:28 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

I belong to a large Southern Baptist church. We have a vibrant youth ministry. We teach them the truth of scripture, summed up in John 3:16. They are active in local, national and even foreign missions.

Offer them hope in Jesus Christ and they will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 06:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I belong to a large Southern Baptist church. We have a vibrant youth ministry. We teach them the truth of scripture, summed up in John 3:16. They are active in local, national and even foreign missions.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Churches such as the Lutheran, Anglican (Episcopalian/C of E) and Presbyterian churches, as well as others such as the Methodist church, et cetera, were once some of the largest churches in the world, but today have rapidly dwindling membership, and a disproportionately elderly population that ensures further shrinkage. Young, secular folk continue to flock to Evangelical, fundamentalist and charismatic churches, however the same can not be said for mainline protestant churches. What can be done to draw youth back to these once highly influential churches?
That's easy. Build a stronger youth ministry. Not disputing your overall thesis, but it's interesting to note that the Episcopal Church has enjoyed growth in a third of its dioceses over the past decade. In our diocese, as one example, the decision was made twenty years ago to really create an energetic ministry that speaks to our mission in the world. As a result, church membership has trended decidedly younger and upward.

One other trend that, if true, proves interesting. According to research, the Millenials are beginning to show a preference for more traditional churches, rather than the high-entertainment programs provided by churches you cite. This research is something we see borne out in our church experience, with our annual confirmation class showing a surge of people migrating from whatever fundamentalist or non-denominational church they left.

Here's an interesting article that discusses the subject: Millennials have turned away from 'cool' Christianity, but traditional churches are making a comeback - Red Alert Politics

Old 07-30-2016, 07:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Don't be teaching that "magic" is real, we are sinners, and that we must tell others what to believe. Not to mention ignoring what universe is showing us.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Don't be teaching that "magic" is real, we are sinners, and that we must tell others what to believe. Not to mention ignoring what universe is showing us.
What exactly are you talking about here? You have a habit of throwing out vague puffery such as this without explaining it.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What exactly are you talking about here? You have a habit of throwing out vague puffery such as this without explaining it.
I think a translation from Arachspeak might be "doctrines on what to believe about our relationship with God and man are not helpful."

Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Though I am not protestant, if I were, I would seek a church like this out.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I think a translation from Arachspeak might be "doctrines on what to believe about our relationship with God and man are not helpful."
Maybe. Or it might be, "God whispers into my ear what is true and lively doctrine. I and I alone can determine which denomination has got it down and which does not." Who knows?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:08 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Though I am not protestant, if I were, I would seek a church like this out.
We have members from many other denominations. We also have a large children's ministry that parents really appreciate. We recently added a special-needs ministry that has been an overwhelming success. We have a full-time staff member just for special-needs.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:52 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
The Southern Baptist Church has done more spiritual and psychological damage than can possibly be measured. They don't realize they are living in darkness. I would not follow them in any way, including in their forms of popular music. They use rock music and food (donuts and pizza) to lure in many unsuspecting victims.

But I don't find the appeal of church in entertainment in that way. I would rather it be a quiet place for meditation, prayer, and traditional hymns, particularly those that don't push the "belief" factor of evangelical churches.

One suggestion would be a type of advertisement. I saw a good TV one from the United Church of Christ showing open homosexual couples. Personally, I would not want to attend any church that did not accept them. That combination of inclusiveness and formal meditative prayer atmosphere should be appealing to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity