Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times

Advertisements

Titus 2 (The Message)

11-14 God’s readiness to give and forgive is now public. Salvation’s available for everyone! We’re being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life, and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life. This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears. He offered himself as a sacrifice to free us from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life, making us a people he can be proud of, energetic in goodness.

Discuss, if you're of a mind to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
It's about people who have abundance of wealth forsaking what they have earned or inherited, and humbling themselves to be like those with less. Not just everyday people, but also those in positions of authority and power. I can't think of a better definition.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Titus 2 (The Message)

11-14 God’s readiness to give and forgive is now public. Salvation’s available for everyone! We’re being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life, and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life. This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears. He offered himself as a sacrifice to free us from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life, making us a people he can be proud of, energetic in goodness.

Not everyone is rebellious, but few have a natural love for others that has not grown cold.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
I'm going to pick something good from the bible as I don't currently identify as Christian. I was a believer when I was freed and that's probably the only time it mattered.

John 8:36
35A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know you are Abraham’s descendants, but you are trying to kill Me because My word has no place within you.…
Also
I Corinthians 7:22
Were you a slave when you were called? Do not let it concern you, but if you can gain your freedom, take the opportunity. 22For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord’s freedman. Conversely, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ’s slave. 23You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
OUTstanding quote! Thank you. What else is there to say? It's about a commitment to the Way.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Titus 2 (The Message)

Only people who feel guilty of something require salvation of a sort. Forgiveness is a better word.

I don't need salvation. I hurt no god.

I have hurt people and animals and things in my life and I have repented, continue to repent and try to atone as best I can.

It's enough.

You think by being born you've inherited some loathsome stain on your spirit because of an old story about a psycho god.

You're welcome to it.

I think it's totally stupid to accept some legendary story as an excuse for being born damned and needing "saving."

But if it brings you some sort of weird comfort to believe such nonsense...I'm sorry for you. You project as a man living a small, sad, grey, little life - hoping to avoid eternal toasting.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Not everyone is rebellious, but few have a natural love for others that has not grown cold.
"rebellious" is an interesting word to use in translation, but it is true that there is a wide range of relatively selfish behavior to turn from.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Old 08-16-2016, 04:33 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times
Quote:
Titus 2 (The Message)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Only people who feel guilty of something require salvation of a sort. Forgiveness is a better word.

I don't need salvation. I hurt no god.

I have hurt people and animals and things in my life and I have repented, continue to repent and try to atone as best I can.

It's enough.

You think by being born you've inherited some loathsome stain on your spirit because of an old story about a psycho god.

You're welcome to it.

I think it's totally stupid to accept some legendary story as an excuse for being born damned and needing "saving."

But if it brings you some sort of weird comfort to believe such nonsense...I'm sorry for you. You project as a man living a small, sad, grey, little life - hoping to avoid eternal toasting.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Titus 2 (The Message)

God's not proud of us? God did not love us from the get-go? Why would God "create" us only to hate us? Isn't it more typical that a "creator" loves the creation?

One would think that God would have an easier way to be "reconciled" with the creation--LOVE ONE ANOTHER and BY DOING SO ONE HAS DONE GOD'S WILL...

But LOVE is not on the cultists' plate is it?

What the cultists' are serving is OPPRESSION, HATE, SUFFERING, DENIAL, BIGOTRY, ACCESS TO HEAVEN, ELEVATED POSITIONS (really? the better believers will be given preferential treatment???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity