Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

In 2014, the Jehovah’s Witnesses Organization published a new book, “God’s Kingdom Rules,” which has been studied by JWs all over the world. This new book attempts to sync the teachings, mission and activities from the early days of Brother Russell to the present day and projecting into the future. What I find to be interesting is how the JW Organization’s changes in doctrine and practice are presented in the context of new light and progressive insight, rather than as contradiction and inconsistency that have caused some of their members to leave the organization as a result.

In my opinion, this publication is partly an effort at Internet information damage control. Interestingly, “Bible Students” are cited 43 times. There appears to be a focus on reclaiming the Bible Student legacy that has been carried forward for a century by today’s JW Bible Students.

In recent years, many blogs, forums like this one, as well as internet sites continuing growth over the Internet in the availability of increasingly more accurate information on early Watchtower history are causing some JWs to question their own beliefs.

Ignoring historical changes in doctrine and practice may no longer be an option. As more and more JWs uncover this information, they often don’t know what to do with it. Solution! The JW Organization is now presenting these details with their own narrative and perspective on events. With a positive spin placed on the historical changes, perhaps most JWs will be satisfied and view other points of view as lies and distortions of the truth. But what do you think?

Old 12-29-2016, 12:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
I would simply add that ANY man-made religious ORGANIZATION that needs to gather members in order to keep itself alive is
something to avoid. I include in this all organized churches that focus on GROWTH rather than fellowship. There are small flocks of believers that are scattered around the globe who come together to edify one another in the faith and look after one another's well-being, and I don't have a problem with that. But when you need a printing press for your world-wide outreach, I see that as a big red flag. If your church is "one of many" and has a headquarters -- another red flag. If your church needs you to sign a statement of faith and become on official member - that is another red flag. If your church owns real estate and is not using it to house and feed the poor - red flag. That's the way I see it. I think people will figure this out in due time. I

Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 PM

285 posts, read 427,168 times
RainMusic, why are your redflags redflags? printing materials take labor and cost money
issusing charity and financial support to members would make a pandoras box. however they way they pressure brothers and sisters to constantly preach, dodge education and hindering their potential to financial support themselves is not good either.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I would simply add that ANY man-made religious ORGANIZATION that needs to gather members in order to keep itself alive is
something to avoid. I include in this all organized churches that focus on GROWTH rather than fellowship. There are small flocks of believers that are scattered around the globe who come together to edify one another in the faith and look after one another's well-being, and I don't have a problem with that. But when you need a printing press for your world-wide outreach, I see that as a big red flag. If your church is "one of many" and has a headquarters -- another red flag. If your church needs you to sign a statement of faith and become on official member - that is another red flag. If your church owns real estate and is not using it to house and feed the poor - red flag. That's the way I see it. I think people will figure this out in due time. I
The local church's main objective should be to "go and make disciples". If you don't see growth, you're not doing it right.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The local church's main objective should be to "go and make disciples".
If you don't see growth, you're not doing it right.
The local church is a place to gather or assemble, it's not an Army recruiting center.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The local church is a place to gather or assemble, it's not an Army recruiting center.

In many cases, it IS a recruiting center.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
All the complaints listed against the JW's have had parallels in traditional Christianity. The only difference being that the Christian ones were of greater magnitude and severity.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:

The local church has many functions. One is to heed Christ's words to "go and make disciples". Surely you remember Jesus sending out the 72 for that purpose.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
They mistake the great commission to spread the Good News. They THINK it means to spread belief in their particular creed and dogma to gain membership.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The local church has many functions. One is to heed Christ's words to "go and make disciples". Surely you remember Jesus sending out the 72 for that purpose.
Carry no purse, no wallet, no shoes; and salute no man on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity