Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I would change the word "paying" to "doing".

For example: I had to stop doing what i wanted so that I could do my parenting job and help in spelling.

I gets discouraging when I hear people that will say to my daughter you were born lucky. My parents, my wife, and our family did a lot of hard work, sacrificed a lot in our lives for her and they call it "luck". Those people are full of crap.
But YOU had a lot of help from society and government. Some need more help.

In the words of Obama, "You didn't make that." It's an exaggeration but there is a lot of truth in that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree. So looking to those entrenched within that system to change it is perhaps naïve. Have you seen the paper sparrow posted in another thread, just to see a different perspective about "big government":

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46923224-post41.html

The point I'm making is that assuming that people have uncharitable attitudes, or don't care about the welfare of others, because they don't agree with one's own political views, is counter-productive to the discussion. Try to see the common ground and goals so we can work together, rather than trying to drag people kicking and screaming because you think they're evil and don't have the best interest of all at heart and can't be reasoned with. If we can learn to listen to each other rather than demonizing each other, maybe there is hope.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But YOU had a lot of help from society and government. Some need more help.

In the words of Obama, "You didn't make that." It's an exaggeration but there is a lot of truth in that idea.
Great Point. And that supports my stance.

I wasn't born lucky. People worked awful hard to get me where I am. I had the exact same help as they do. I would say less in many cases.

Lets keep in mind, I do pay, I do help, and I do wish them everything they need. I just put a physical limit on how much we force people to pay. I start at me. You seem to start "at somebody else."

I also agree that the very rich, not 120K/yr rich, I am way under that, should have a base tax of something reasonable that they can not use anymore loop holes then the rest of us.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So what's the difference between what your daughter has done to attain her position and what the child of a dysfunctional family has done? How did she deserve the help and support she got her whole life??
You are right also, My point is "luck" wasn't the whole story. I worked hard, my parents worked hard, my grandparents worked hard.(off the boat btw and had little to no government help)

More importantly, a lot of poor people work very hard, is that they taught me I am responsible for what happens to a degree. Even when i got screwed hard, its my responsibility to take the next best step.

Why would that little girl point to my daughter and say "Oh your lucky, give me more."
I would never program my daughter to say that to another person. Anybody that would program that into a child that will grow up to be a person that believes that is true ... is the problem.

And I think its important to keep repeating. I gladly pay my 20% and would be happy to pay a little if I saw the inner city trying a little harder. I pay more taxes in goods and services and I worked in a urban service field for years because i felt so strongly about "what is my responsibility in all this".

let me ask you this. Keeping in mind she will pay her fair share. I teach her that too. I also teach her, no boiz in the girls bathroom for any reason in high school.

Why is it my daughter fault?

Old 01-25-2017, 04:26 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I think that our WW2 era parents and grandparents had more wisdom. There was a more progressive tax system. Charities were started. The churches were building hospitals. People didn't lock their doors. The ideas of labor union rights were in effect.

How does anyone account for the fact that crime is worse today than during the middle of the twentieth century? A brief glorious time in our nation's history. Before "under Jehova" was added to our pledge of allegiance.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You are right also, My point is "luck" wasn't the whole story. I worked hard, my parents worked hard, my grandparents worked hard.(off the boat btw and had little to no government help)

More importantly, a lot of poor people work very hard, is that they taught me I am responsible for what happens to a degree. Even when i got screwed hard, its my responsibility to take the next best step.

Why would that little girl point to my daughter and say "Oh your lucky, give me more."
I would never program my daughter to say that to another person. Anybody that would program that into a child that will grow up to be a person that believes that is true ... is the problem.

And I think its important to keep repeating. I gladly pay my 20% and would be happy to pay a little if I saw the inner city trying a little harder. I pay more taxes in goods and services and I worked in a urban service field for years because i felt so strongly about "what is my responsibility in all this".

let me ask you this. Keeping in mind she will pay her fair share. I teach her that too. I also teach her, no boiz in the girls bathroom for any reason in high school.
Why is it my daughter fault?
What do you call it when, by nothing you did except to be born into the family you were born into, you received the love, support and instruction to make you a responsible, energetic and loving person?

I never said that it was your daughter's fault and I don't place a demand in the voice of the child of a dysfunctional family. I only ask you to reflect on the difference in background and the effect on attitude and view of self-worth. And, yes it is a fault in that little girl's parents that puts her into that situation and the question is how to break that cycle. Government AND church can help with that, but that child's basic needs and education have to be a part of it.

Yes, work on the failures of the system in BOTH areas in whatever ways you can and feel led to, but at least recognize what and most importantly WHY they both fail.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
What do you call it when, by nothing you did except to be born into the family you were born into, you received the love, support and instruction to make you a responsible, energetic and loving person?

I never said that it was your daughter's fault and I don't place a demand in the voice of the child of a dysfunctional family. I only ask you to reflect on the difference in background and the effect on attitude and view of self-worth. And, yes it is a fault in that little girl's parents that puts her into that situation and the question is how to break that cycle. Government AND church can help with that, but that child's basic needs and education have to be a part of it.

Yes, work on the failures of the system in BOTH areas in whatever ways you can and feel led to, but at least recognize what and most importantly WHY they both fail.
We can't close this gap nate. Your first line is a joke. We gave them everything they needed to succeed and have a quality life, to be better than us. Simmon Gratz in philly fails because generations of parents suck blue balls.

You can't make a choice without having to justify "loving' it in some way. I make the tough choice of "making the rich pay" and "making the poor do their fair too." without malice.

You are after my daughter because you feel she is "lucky". You are out to get her because you are out for revenge against the rich.

I have no Idea how you can't keep "lets make the rich pay their fair share" separate from "screw anybody "I" feel is lucky." You completely ignore "lets make the poor do their fair share too"

I have to say, the will be blood over this nate. I have to teach my children that there are people that believe this post of yours. I have to teach him that these far left liberals hate you, they will fight you, because you were born.

Yes, we need to police the rich... HARD. We now have to defend ourselves from them and you.

We are so screwed.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Have you been drinking?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think that our WW2 era parents and grandparents had more wisdom. There was a more progressive tax system. Charities were started. The churches were building hospitals. People didn't lock their doors. The ideas of labor union rights were in effect.

How does anyone account for the fact that crime is worse today than during the middle of the twentieth century? A brief glorious time in our nation's history. Before "under Jehova" was added to our pledge of allegiance.
Many poor people died. Fever killed rich and poor. Natural selection actually was still in play to a large degree before WW2.

After ww2, when we started better medical practices we had rich people, poor people and immigrants living far longer.

in the 1970's when the flower child insanity took over, We changed from "I am responsible for,not only my child, but all children." to "your kids owe my kids".

In the 80's, we knew it can not continue like that but we figured 100 years or so we will worry about the weeds left over from the 1969 generation. And probably people would see just how flawed that thinking was. Lmao, we are 60 years off and dead wrong.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Have you been drinking?
back at ya nate.

You are after my daughter because she was born lucky. In your opinion that is.

would you like to rephrase your claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity