Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The person the OP refers to, seemed like they were indeed a Christian to begin with.
I do not know why born agains cannot accept that this happens, and happens within all faiths.
Perhaps the same reason atheist cannot accept that there are those who believe in God........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps the same reason atheist cannot accept that there are those who believe in God........
I cannot speak for atheists.
But this theory, which refers to a backsliding Christian that was never actually a Christian, is one of the few things that denies actual living history of that individual.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:46 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The person the OP refers to, seemed like they were indeed a Christian to begin with.
I do not know why born agains cannot accept that this happens, and happens within all faiths.
Scripture states: 1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us

Of course someone that used to claim to claim to be a Christian but not anymore, can when they used to appear as Christian look religious, have read the whole bible and even know a lot of bible verses by heart, go to church every sunday, done great works or did mission work. However they were not born again.

Last edited by other99; 07-20-2017 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 04:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Scripture states: 1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us

Of course someone that used to claim to claim to be a Christian but not anymore, can when they used to appear as Christian look religious, have read the whole bible and even know a lot of bible verses by heart, go to church every sunday, done great works or did mission work. However they were not born again.
"Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord...."

See, other99, the thing is that these people believed and felt the same thing you do now. Think about that.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
To respond like unbelievers, what proof do you have that this person was a Christian, had an addiction, left Christianity, and then recovered from said addiction? We need scientific data to support this claim. A mere testimony is not acceptable.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'm not an atheist but you're mistaken. Atheists of course accept that some people believe in a god. They simply don't share that belief.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Obviously, it all hinges on whether or not the guy was really a Christian. It's a possibility to backslid, but no one can leave Him permanently that ever had Him (Him, the Spirit, not a religion ABOUT Him) in the first place. I backslid for about 4 months when I first came to Him, but I was aware of Him the entire time, and miserable, but I would have NEVER have denied Him, even though I was running away as fast as I could for that short season. I don't believe you can have ever have Him and then deny Him. After all, it's like David said, where can you go that He is not there? He's with you, in you, you take Him wherever you go. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
I know a man who was a very determined atheist who was an alcoholic who decided to turn to God to take away his alcohol problem because he could not stop drinking on his own. His wife had been praying for him to give God a chance. He cried out to God for help and God instantly delivered him from his desire for drinking alcohol and he then became a Christian and has kept his faith for many decades.

I can believe someone might be driven to drink because of religion, though. I suppose it is also possible to lose one's faith in Christ, but there are many professing Christians who mostly have a relationship with the bible rather than a living faith.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I know a man who was a very determined atheist who was an alcoholic who decided to turn to God to take away his alcohol problem because he could not stop drinking on his own. His wife had been praying for him to give God a chance. He cried out to God for help and God instantly delivered him from his desire for drinking alcohol and he then became a Christian and has kept his faith for many decades.

I can believe someone might be driven to drink because of religion, though. I suppose it is also possible to lose one's faith in Christ, but there are many professing Christians who mostly have a relationship with the bible rather than a living faith.

Awesome. I know of others that has happened to. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Obviously, it all hinges on whether or not the guy was really a Christian. It's a possibility to backslid, but no one can leave Him permanently that ever had Him (Him, the Spirit, not a religion ABOUT Him) in the first place. I backslid for about 4 months when I first came to Him, but I was aware of Him the entire time, and miserable, but I would have NEVER have denied Him, even though I was running away as fast as I could for that short season. I don't believe you can have ever have Him and then deny Him. After all, it's like David said, where can you go that He is not there? He's with you, in you, you take Him wherever you go. Peace
No one is perfect and even Christians could sin horribly. But through the grace of the Lord he does forgive people, even the worst of sins. The Lord will always be with his people and never let them go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity