Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times

Advertisements

Actually money conscious were people are devalued is a curse of the mark of the beast . which can be a grave error ......... So the fear of God can affect what people believe ..... Still God does not mind if His children goes after more money that the week to week job has, as long as covetousness , and pride of money , and greed and theft have no place . Charity to Jesus will regulate gains made with more money , and how the heart is were people give from their wealth , faith can become absent , so if faith is not there then don`t give , or give charity until it hurts then God will bless you were faith is expressed .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
I don't need material excess, nor do I want it. When Christ left us, He went to go prepare a lace for us. I'm not really from here. Someone said something so incredible, and I'm going to slaughter his quote, but my memory stinks. He said basically we are Ambassadors of Heaven on temporary assignment to the US (or wherever you are). When my assignment is over here, I'm going home. God knows my needs and my heart, and He provides for me accordingly. Really, I just want Him.

I'm not going to kick those who acquire wealth out of bed, I have nothing against that. Nick Hanauer is ridiculously wealthy. He's not a 1%er. He's a .01%er. And he's a great guy. I'm reaching here, but I also love Batman. A guy (Bruce Wayne) who can only do what he does because he is obscenely wealthy.

I'm just not that way though. I don't mind living paycheck to paycheck, or in my case SSI check to SSI check. Because I'm not going to be here that long. And I know God takes care of me.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Again, because of something I read here that some think...
Now, I understand if riches pulled a person away from focusing on God...so
a person may decide to become an ascetic to abstain from what he believes is the addiction...material distractions.
Any addict will (try) to do that - keep away from food, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, sex, sugar ...but none of
these things are bad.
It is the obsession with them that distracts us from something much higher; the love of God.
When people
wallow around in Illusion, the Maya, the mud and the temporary world of 'things' instead
of heart/soul/spirit...the 'Real' , in other words...we miss the Mark...
What happens when we miss the Mark? Suffering, wandering, we are lost, we have forgotten where we came from, thus,
our Home/God and our purpose....and on and on.

Will poverty and other 'afflictions' bring us closer to God? Maybe for you...but, not for me!
Been there, done that! And so did Jesus, who said he came so we could have an abundant life,
(rather than this suffering in ignorance).

Joy, wealth, health, success in every aspect of life here bring me closer to God.
None of these things are bad things.

The belief that suffering is good...is nuts.
It is good for only waking up that you want to suffer no more, guys!
I believe you have to follow him.
and when following The spirit he will teach you what this man knew well .
Phl 4:12
I know both how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content ​— ​whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
I believe you have to follow him.
and when following The spirit he will teach you what this man knew well .
Phl 4:12
I know both how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content ​— ​whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need.

Which is exactly how you end up when He finishes the work in you over the love of mammon. Peace

Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times
God is not poor! He is wealthy. I'm not saying that we are going to be wealthy, or we should attain to get wealth. I believe it's all about your spiritual maturity.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Do you think poverty is something holy? It can be.
Do you deliberately choose it then? Nope.

Don’t let me tell lies. And don’t make me too rich or too poor—give me enough for each day.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Poverty

Many religious take a vow of poverty. This explains why.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Hey, thanks, Janelle!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hey, thanks, Janelle!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:01 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
This was actually a great thread. Thanks for the Catholic quotes and other quotes from the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity