Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Some people on this forum have said that Scripture must be God-breathed because Jesus quotes it, inferring that this means that EVERYTHING in the collection of written works known as The Bible must be true.

Others of us strongly disagree.

I get these emails from a contemplative site, and I found the part on this page entitled, "Reading Scripture With The Mind of Christ" to be an interesting take, that, of course, is aligned with my opinion.

https://cac.org/jesus-nazareth-week-...ry-2018-01-20/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
The golden thread!

Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some people on this forum have said that Scripture must be God-breathed because Jesus quotes it, inferring that this means that EVERYTHING in the collection of written works known as The Bible must be true.

Others of us strongly disagree.

I get these emails from a contemplative site, and I found the part on this page entitled, "Reading Scripture With The Mind of Christ" to be an interesting take, that, of course, is aligned with my opinion.

https://cac.org/jesus-nazareth-week-...ry-2018-01-20/
So the claim is made that because Jesus quoted on OT book....say Deuteronomy, then we can know that 1 Timothy is inspired? That's an interesting jump.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
So I read this from the link in the OP...

Jesus sees where the text is truly heading, beyond the low-level consciousness of a particular moment, fear, or circumstance. He knows there is a bigger arc to the story: one that reveals a God who is compassionate, nonviolent, and inclusive of outsiders. He knows how to “thin slice” the text, to find the overall pattern based on small windows of insight. He learned from Ezekiel, for example, that God’s justice is restorative and not retributive (see Ezekiel 18:21-23, 27-29).

Do we really think Jesus "learned" from Ezekiel? Or that Jesus sees where the text is heading - as though He had been pouring through the text to figure it out?

C'mon man... Jesus created the world we live in. He has existed for all of time. He does not need to learn anything. He knows it all already.

Jonhn 8:58 - Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

Old 01-25-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Jesus sees where the text is truly heading, beyond the low-level consciousness of a particular moment, fear, or circumstance. He knows there is a bigger arc to the story: one that reveals a God who is compassionate, nonviolent, and inclusive of outsiders. He knows how to “thin slice” the text, to find the overall pattern based on small windows of insight. He learned from Ezekiel, for example, that God’s justice is restorative and not retributive (see Ezekiel 18:21-23, 27-29).

Do we really think Jesus "learned" from Ezekiel? Or that Jesus sees where the text is heading - as though He had been pouring through the text to figure it out?

C'mon man... Jesus created the world we live in. He has existed for all of time. He does not need to learn anything. He knows it all already.

Jonhn 8:58 - Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
I know what you're saying, but I think you have to acknowledge that there is a POV that Jesus, as a human, indeed had to learn things the same way everybody else does, even those who believe Jesus was fully divine as well as fully human, the category of which I'm guessing the writer falls under.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:41 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
I know what you're saying, but I think you have to acknowledge that there is a POV that Jesus, as a human, indeed had to learn things the same way everybody else does, even those who believe Jesus was fully divine as well as fully human, the category of which I'm guessing the writer falls under.
No, He doesn't need to learn anything.

John 4:17-18 - The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You have correctly said, `I have no husband'; 18 for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."

John 4:28 - So the woman left her waterpot, and went into the city and said to the men, 29 "Come, see a man who told me all the things that I have done; this is not the Christ, is it?"

So Jesus, not knowing this woman, told her about her past. Why would He not know Scripture already?

Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No, He doesn't need to learn anything.

John 4:17-18 - The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You have correctly said, `I have no husband'; 18 for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."

John 4:28 - So the woman left her waterpot, and went into the city and said to the men, 29 "Come, see a man who told me all the things that I have done; this is not the Christ, is it?"

So Jesus, not knowing this woman, told her about her past. Why would He not know Scripture already?
LOL, DRob, I am not going to argue with you about this one little phrase you pulled out of a sentence on the website. Obviously the author does not agree with your POV or he wouldn't have written that.

I don't know what Jesus knew or didn't know about Scripture, and I really don't care. That wasn't the point of the thread. You can disregard that sentence if you don't believe it to be accurate.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 PM

And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:22 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
No.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Do you know how many "I AM's" there are in reference to humanity; and its (their) relationship to God?

Last edited by Jerwade; 01-25-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity