Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
...If everyone knew by default that they were born into hell and that dying would deliver them - imagine the rate of increase in suicide.
OR , this physical experience is meant to be a time to explore and grow and expand, and something which we willingly, even eagerly, desired to participate in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,968,601 times
I find righteous Jesus went to biblical hell the day he died as per Acts 2:27.
It isn't the dying or death that delivers people.
Since we can Not resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can resurrect us. Jesus can and will - Revelation 1:18.

Biblical hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
That is why Jesus taught sleep in death at John 11:11-14.
Which is in harmony with Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Some have a first or earlier resurrection as per Revelation 20:6; 5:9-10; 2:10.
Whereas the majority of mankind ( John 3:13 ) have a future resurrection under Christ's 1,000-year governmental reign over Earth.
That is why the ' future tense ' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection........

Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade
I suppose that there would be -- no loss of consciousness, no ceasing to exist -- if there is no concept of time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You mean in the case of what you believe, yes? I agree. If we simply stop being conscious, we would certainly not be aware of any passing of time in the event we were brought back to consciousness. But, personally, I don't tend to believe we ever stop being conscious, for any length of time. However, I'm with nate on this -- it's not worth quibbling about.
The only reason that I see why this matter is worth quibbling about is because the majority of preachers are showing their lack of Bible-savvy by preaching something they claim to be from their Bible that is NOT in their Bible. Knowing this, for me, this would bring up another question ...what else have the majority of these preachers got wrong ...?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A body without a soul (i.e., mind, will or emotions), does not possess any personality.
Quote:
Yes, the body dies/is discarded.
I suppose that justifies the resurrection of the physical body, if the soul is immortal.
But why kill the body, if it has no personality in, and of itself.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
When the inward organ of man dies, does not the man himself also die in the process.
Or, is the physical body merely the womb for an "immortal soul" which will never die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I see the earthly body as the womb leading us into the earthly death realm, as well as a tomb. Aren't we awaiting new spiritual bodies that cannot be corrupted and subject to death?
I appreciate your thoughts about new spiritual bodies, but isn't it the heart and/or mind (i.e., the flesh) which has been corrupted? For life is more than food; and the body more than clothes.

Quote:
If we are now treasures hidden in earthen vessels, wouldn't being raised out of these tombs be a glorious thing? I even acknowledge there was a good need for "the fear of death" because without it, it's not likely that humans would have increased and multiplied. The fear of death actually helps mankind endure the subjection to futility. If everyone knew by default that they were born into hell and that dying would deliver them - imagine the rate of increase in suicide.
Depends on the definition of what you consider a tomb. However, are you also saying that man fears his/her own mortality, therefore, their children become their legacy?

Quote:
There comes a time when staying in this world is because you don't want to leave your loved ones to suffer without you being here. Also, there is the commandment not to murder, so it would be a sin to murder oneself.

God is the great excavator but selfish people think that is their purview.
I don't believe that my children are the only reason that I live and enjoy life. Neither do I believe that life is all about pain or suffering. Although I have had some difficult times to overcome, and have dealt with loneliness - even in the midst of a crowd.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The only reason that I see why this matter is worth quibbling about is because the majority of preachers are showing their lack of Bible-savvy by preaching something they claim to be from their Bible that is NOT in their Bible. Knowing this, for me, this would bring up another question ...what else have the majority of these preachers got wrong ...?
While I understand your point, I don't think you'll be successful in convincing most people that their beliefs about this aren't in the bible. It's very likely that there ARE passages in the bible which support their beliefs, just as there are other passages which support yours. It's just the nature of the bible that it can be used to support any number of contradictory beliefs. If one is determined to use the bible as an authoritative, rigid guide to right and wrong, then it's a conundrum.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I suppose that justifies the resurrection of the physical body, if the soul is immortal.
I don't think the physical body is resurrected, do you?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
I do. I dream of being a zombie someday.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM

553 posts, read 172,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I do. I dream of being a zombie someday.
Thankfully Jesus isn't Rick Grimes

Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A body without a soul (i.e., mind, will or emotions), does not possess any personality.
Quote:
Yes, the body dies/is discarded.
Quote:
Quote:
Not anymore than a tree that has been cut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity