Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He just did.

Correction: He just quoted the Bible, and didn't do the other......
You just don't get it do you?. I am talking of the one it testifies of, it is you who claims you need bible proof to believe something, so i quote if for your benefit not my own, and when a verse is shared to prove something like you demand, you still don't believe. Your bible tells you to look to him not the bible, is that so hard for you to understand?.

Can you please stop indirectly talking to me if you cannot speak directly to me. Without fail every time you speak to another poster indirectly about me it's got negative connotations. If you have something negative to say about me,at least have the decency to say it directly to me. You behave so like the world that you condemn it's laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Nothing like a living testimony of the scriptures. So while you are here, who are the ALL Jesus was referring to here..... "if i be lifted up I WILL draw ALL men unto me"?.
That’s true.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:37 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not me. Try another passage.
Quote:
How do you make that out ?. My idea which is more scriptural is go tell your friends what Great things God has done and doing for you. Mark 5:19. Quoting the bible is one thing, sharing what the one who it testifies of his doing in your life his not only uplifting Jesus but will draw men unto him.
Quote:
Can’t we do both?
Jimmie, it seems to me that the issue is that we are children of God but we do not look/see/perceive the totality of Gods plan.

When you have been taught that faith in the belief that a physical Jesus lived and was raised to save the “real” Christian and burn the rest of humanity (who’s “sin” was being made human) is at odds and can not be reconciled to the belief that God is working in different ages to save some (Abraham’s children) to bless the rest of the nations (humanity)

God is not a man (human) that he will lie and is not mocked, the measure you judge someone else (individually and nationally) is the measure that you will be judged by.

All contradicting doctrines can be supported by scriptures if you take them out of context and make the purpose/plan of God about individuals (flesh) Gods plan spans ages, but we have words which are translated to make it seem that there is only this world and eternity.

Christianity was meant to proclaim the good news for all people of the kingdom of God which comes to earth, but has been distracted by the religion (rites, symbols, parables) which is what happened to Israel in the OT and were scattered

Eph 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Eph 5:3 But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.
Eph 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
Eph 5:5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
Eph 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Therefore do not become partners with them;
Eph 5:8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),

Eph 5:10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
Eph 5:11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
Eph 5:12 For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.
Eph 5:13 But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible,
Eph 5:14 for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

Jer 7:3 Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend your ways and your deeds, and I will let you dwell in this place.
Jer 7:4 Do not trust in these deceptive words: ‘This is the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD.’
Jer 7:5 “For if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another,
Jer 7:6 if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm,
Jer 7:7 then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.

Jer 7:8 “Behold, you trust in deceptive words to no avail.
Jer 7:9 Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known,
Jer 7:10 and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations?
Jer 7:11 Has this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I myself have seen it, declares the LORD.
Jer 7:12 Go now to my place that was in Shiloh, where I made my name dwell at first, and see what I did to it because of the evil of my people Israel.
Jer 7:13 And now, because you have done all these things, declares the LORD, and when I spoke to you persistently you did not listen, and when I called you, you did not answer,
Jer 7:14 therefore I will do to the house that is called by my name, and in which you trust, and to the place that I gave to you and to your fathers, as I did to Shiloh.
Jer 7:15 And I will cast you out of my sight, as I cast out all your kinsmen, all the offspring of Ephraim.
Jer 7:16 “As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you.
Jer 7:17 Do you not see what they are doing in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
Jer 7:18 The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven. And they pour out drink offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger.
Jer 7:19 Is it I whom they provoke? declares the LORD. Is it not themselves, to their own shame?
Jer 7:20 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, my anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place, upon man and beast, upon the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground; it will burn and not be quenched.”
Jer 7:21 Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel:Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices, and eat the flesh.
Jer 7:22 For in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak to your fathers or command them concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices.
Jer 7:23 But this command I gave them: ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’
Jer 7:24 But they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and the stubbornness of their evil hearts, and went backward and not forward.

Jer 7:25 From the day that your fathers came out of the land of Egypt to this day, I have persistently sent all my servants the prophets to them, day after day.
Jer 7:26 Yet they did not listen to me or incline their ear, but stiffened their neck. They did worse than their fathers.
Jer 7:27 “So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you.
Jer 7:28 And you shall say to them, ‘This is the nation that did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, and did not accept discipline; truth has perished; it is cut off from their lips.
Jer 7:29 “‘Cut off your hair and cast it away; raise a lamentation on the bare heights, for the LORD has rejected and forsaken the generation of his wrath.’
The Valley of Slaughter

Jer 7:30 “For the sons of Judah have done evil in my sight, declares the LORD. They have set their detestable things in the house that is called by my name, to defile it.
Jer 7:31 And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, which I did not command, nor did it come into my mind.
Jer 7:32 Therefore, behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when it will no more be called Topheth, or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter; for they will bury in Topheth, because there is no room elsewhere.
Jer 7:33 And the dead bodies of this people will be food for the birds of the air, and for the beasts of the earth, and none will frighten them away.
Jer 7:34 And I will silence in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, for the land shall become a waste.

Jer 8:8 “How can you say, ‘We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us’? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie.
Jer 8:9 The wise men shall be put to shame; they shall be dismayed and taken; behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD, so what wisdom is in them?
Jer 8:10 Therefore I will give their wives to others and their fields to conquerors, because from the least to the greatest everyone is greedy for unjust gain; from prophet to priest, everyone deals falsely.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM

140 posts, read 71,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
You seem to have an incredibly demeaning attitude toward those who struggle with mental illness, as if it is something that should be "held against" someone. It doesn't feel very loving at all.
Not so at all. That is why I asked. Only that would make sense on the rudeness and curt responses. We need to understand who are dealing with.
Quote:
Anyone can post anything related to Christianity.
Exactly.
Pertaining to CHRISTianity which is Key. And within the definition of such per this forum.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Few self-professed Christians accept the entire Bible. Most Christians reject the parts of Scripture they don’t like.

Even the evangelicals and fundamentalists, who proudly claim to accept the infallibility and inerrancy of the Bible, generally reject most of the book of James because of its strong “salvation by works” message. They would never admit that they reject any part of the Bible, but they do.
There is no such thing as Fundamentalists, you won't find the word in the bible. If they are not saved, they will reject the bible. No matter what worldy label you apply to them.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Here you go again spouting out your opinion with no scriptural support whatsoever

The sons of God are Led by the Spirit of God, what you have changed this verse to is, The sons of God are led by the Spirit of God to follow the bible. From what you have been sharing, i have no trouble saying you believe in a historic Jesus who is limited to you by what is written in ink.

The definition Jesus gave of those who follow him was this.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Addressing your opinion about finding out about the way of Jesus Christ, which again with no scriptural support, i will say this to you followed by your interpretation of it.

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

And thine ears shall hear a bible behind thee
, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

Now tell me how is the Holy Spirit going to do this for you when you have left your bible at home ?.

For the Holy Spirit will teach you AT THAT TIME what you should say LUKE 12:12. Do you honestly believe the disciples walked around with bibles under their arms. When Jesus sent out his disciples, did you notice he never said don't forget to take your bible with you ?.

Don't bother responding to this post unless you support your opinions with scripture, i am not interested in your opinions if they are not scripturally based.
PCcamps those are the forum rules, please read them.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:56 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Sharing scripture is lifting Jesus up.
Not always. It depends if verses are taken out of context. I'll try some just for you, jimmie. If you pray for Scripture to "reveal it's truth" to you or someone else and open the Bible randomly you could come up with something like this:

Quote:
Then he went away and hanged himself.
Matt. 27:5b

Quote:
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."
Luke 10:37b

Quote:
"What you are about to do, do quickly."
John 13:27b

That's why we have to analyze Scripture using both textual and cultural criticism. Lifting it out of the book willy-nilly is not only foolish but dangerous. Look at all those poor "fundamentalist" souls in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia who read the last few verses of Mark (never part of the earlier manuscripts) and think they can handle snakes.

Quote:
"they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."
Mark 16:18

Have you shown your faith by picking up snakes or drinking hemlock? Why not? It's in the Bible that the "faithful" can do so.

I'm sure you can tell of the sick people you prayed for that got better, however, and are unlikely to reveal sick folk that you prayed for but who died.

The point is a CRITICAL eye must view Scripture. God gave us each a brain, why is it evil to use it? Not all Scripture, nor Scripture used without thought, lifts Jesus up.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4YourThoughts View Post
I know perfectly well what they say. I have said nothing whatsoever that breaks them. Disagreeing with you about your bible and Jesus Christ is not breaking the rules.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as Fundamentalists, you won't find the word in the bible. If they are not saved, they will reject the bible. No matter what worldy label you apply to them.
Baptist fundy said the same thing, what he couldn't comprehend like you, is, whatever the true meaning of a fundamentalist is, it is widely accepted todatt to mean someone who is intolerant towards those who disagree with them, close minded and often bigoted.

They say "wicked good" up our neck of the the woods. Of cause the true meaning of wicked is not meant in this expression.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Quote:
If you think someone is breaking forum rules let the moderators know, but just disagreeing with you about your perception of the bible is not breaking the forum rules. Also everyone is allowed their opinion, it is not for you to say what opinions people can hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity