Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times

Advertisements

I am not Christian. Nor is my husband. But we are typical Americans who celebrate major holidays, from Christmas to Independence day. Pre-kids, of course we didn't celebrate Easter. But since the kids were old enough to learn about it from friends (Easter egg hunts, bunny rabbits, easter baskets, big ham dinners) I gave in and we celebrate those aspects of it.

However...I feel like it is wrong. I feel like it is an insult to the Christian religion to take, arguably, your most sacred holiday and bastardize it. My husband thinks I take it too seriously.

What are other people's opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am not Christian. Nor is my husband. But we are typical Americans who celebrate major holidays, from Christmas to Independence day. Pre-kids, of course we didn't celebrate Easter. But since the kids were old enough to learn about it from friends (Easter egg hunts, bunny rabbits, easter baskets, big ham dinners) I gave in and we celebrate those aspects of it.

However...I feel like it is wrong. I feel like it is an insult to the Christian religion to take, arguably, your most sacred holiday and bastardize it. My husband thinks I take it too seriously.

Another non Christian here, you are taking part in activities that are already aimed at Christians hence YOU are not bastrizing it in my opinion. If Christians opposed Easter Egg hunts the hunts would not even exist. Many things associated with a religion have become part of a culture and you are simply exposing your children to one aspect of the dominant culture of your country. I suspect that most people from North America would expose their children to activities associated with other religions if they moved to Isreal, Thailand or Egypt. Just be respectful and teach your children to respect those who are different from your own family.

Do your children take part in Halloween or Christmas and if so how is that any different?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Nothing has any meaning, except for the meaning you give it.
In other words, it's what you make of it, or how you take it.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:

As a Christian who recognizes that non-Christian elements are a part of the traditional and cultural observation of Spring which was adopted as part of our joy in the new life we experience in
Christ, I am happy that you are able to take part in the cultural elements that are part of your community without giving all that much attention to the religious element. Quite sneakily, I am happy that the message of the love of Christ IS a part of it and don't mind at all that this is another way that it does get presented even though there is no particular scriptural basis for an annual observance.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:08 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
It's just nice to teach your kids traditions. Most are fairly harmless. Having said that, we don't do Halloween - having a Christian background and knowing that there is a spirit realm, I don't feel that scary stuff should be entertained because it doesn't fit the scripture's exhortation to think only on positive things. Scary stuff and death appeals to the dark side of human nature, where by contrast the inner still small voice of the Holy Spirit is all about love, life and goodness.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nothing has any meaning, except for the meaning you give it.
In other words, it's what you make of it, or how you take it.
I agree. It's a cultural thing to celebrate Easter and Christmas. Whether one is a believer or not, I think it's fine to keep traditions. I can't imagine a Christian getting offended by others hunting Easter eggs or eating chocolate bunnies. May Christianity never become something co-erced. I do celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ - but that is not why I do Easter things with the kids.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As a Christian who recognizes that non-Christian elements are a part of the traditional and cultural observation of Spring which was adopted as part of our joy in the new life we experience in
Christ, I am happy that you are able to take part in the cultural elements that are part of your community without giving all that much attention to the religious element. Quite sneakily, I am happy that the message of the love of Christ IS a part of it and don't mind at all that this is another way that it does get presented even though there is no particular scriptural basis for an annual observance.
Well said. I feel the same.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I agree. It's a cultural thing to celebrate Easter and Christmas. Whether one is a believer or not, I think it's fine to keep traditions. I can't imagine a Christian getting offended by others hunting Easter eggs or eating chocolate bunnies. May Christianity never become something co-erced. I do celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ - but that is not why I do Easter things with the kids.
Is teaching the traditions of men outside of Scripture connected to worship/Scripture acceptable to Jesus.
Didn't Jesus teach to avoid doctrines of men according to Matthew 15:9.
Often social pressure perpetuates man-made traditional cultural things (which are often connected to commercial interests)
Perhaps we should remember the words of 1st Corinthians 10:20-21 to see if we are offending God.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Does you husband take the Bible seriously. Take the teachings of Jesus as serious.

To me, it Not what are other people's opinions, but what is God's opinion as taught in Scripture.
- 1st Corinthians 10:20-21; - 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

Especially when un-faithful Jews began mixing with the Greeks they adopted theories and philosophies out of harmony with Scripture, and the blending and fusing of scriptural with un-scriptural does Not make it as being Scriptural.
Jesus warned about doctrines of men at Matthew 15:9.

Since Jesus gave us only one date by which to remember him - Luke 22:19 - his day of death by the bread and wine.
So, the only scriptural date is the Jewish lunar calendar date of the month of Nisan the 14th day.
The rest are all man-made holidays outside of Scripture. They were often already existing non-biblical celebrations. Christian names were just added to them.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Is teaching the traditions of men outside of Scripture connected to worship/Scripture acceptable to Jesus.
Didn't Jesus teach to avoid doctrines of men according to Matthew 15:9.
Often social pressure perpetuates man-made traditional cultural things (which are often connected to commercial interests)
Perhaps we should remember the words of 1st Corinthians 10:20-21 to see if we are offending God.
20No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God. And I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot partake in the table of the Lord and the table of demons too. 22Are we trying to provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He?…

So celebrating Spring is worshipping demons?

Crawl into your religious hole if you must, but the rest of us are happy about new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity