Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 AM

20,453 posts, read 12,832,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
When I finally read the entire Bible then Jesus's message began to make sense. Many Christians don't seem to have a clue about either Jesus or the Bible.

It's all common sense.

If it's something that can only be understood from reading the Bible, then it probably isn't true, because God reveals everything that is true to his creation.
What is Jesus’ message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is Jesus’ message?
Return to him because the sins you have believed he's holding against you, he's not, he loves you in spite of your sin. Don't wait a minute longer, experience the joy and peace in believing this right now and for the rest of your days as you pass through this life. Now that is good news.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,900,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is Jesus’ message?
You have heard it many times. You must be deaf.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Quote:
I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?
That subject title cracked my up...thank you.

If I may, the feelings of confusion as stated in the op, Ozzy, seem typical for a 12 yr old.
The nutty concepts people can carry, even for a lifetime, imo, hinder happiness, spiritual growth,
wisdom and freedom.
Confusion is from the egoic mind, or the lower ego self or as the Christians say, the devil...there is no confusion in
Jesus or God or the Holy Spirit....now, the Bible is a whole other thing with all it's contradictions,
hidden meanings and multiple translations and versions..

My take.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 AM

20,453 posts, read 12,832,027 times
Quote:
You have heard it many times. You must be deaf.
I know what it is. I just wondered if you do, since you seem to think the rest of us are wrong.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,180,125 times
Quote:
I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?

Like most you've heard the wrong good news. The real good news is that faith is the currency God works with, No works today. Totally believe you are a sinner who needs a Savior, who died for your sins in your place. Who was dead and buried and rose again on the third day. Through that faith you are given an eternal life in the form of the Holy Spirit who comes to live in you forever. Then relax and tell others the real "good news".

Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
When I finally read the Bible I discovered that. But your religion still teaches a fear-based faith.
No. Not really. If the only reason one trusts Christ is to avoid hell they're missing the point. That's certainly part of it, but God wants to have a relationship with us that goes beyond simply not roasting us.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:49 AM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
If someone can't even say anything without quoting something else, then to me they have said nothing at all and they have no real mind at all. The quotes are meaningless out of their context.

In other words, they are a mindless robot.

If they can't say what they believe without using religious or biblical terms then there is no substance to what they are or what they believe.
Just repped you once for another post and can't do it again. EXACTLY.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. Not really. If the only reason one trusts Christ is to avoid hell they're missing the point. That's certainly part of it, but God wants to have a relationship with us that goes beyond simply not roasting us.
Wow. You really do think God roasts people. Roasts them.

How do you have a "relationship" with someone who you believe threatens such a thing?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wow. You really do think God roasts people. Roasts them.

How do you have a "relationship" with someone who you believe threatens such a thing?
Look up "Stockholm Syndrome"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity