Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM

63,832 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My point is that you are making statements that there are people making statements about God that Scripture simply does not support. The only place they're getting it is from their own minds.
No, we do NOT get it from our own minds. You have been told many times that we get it from 1st Cor 13, the Sermon on the Mount, and Galatians 5 so why do you persist in lying about where we get it from???? We were promised a Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" but you insist on using the contradictory and inconsistent words "written in ink." You refuse to test the spirit of anything "written in ink" despite what we were told to do. You trust words "written in ink" instead of the guidance of the Holy Spirit to what God has "written in our hearts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, we do NOT get it from our own minds. You have been told many times that we get it from 1st Cor 13, the Sermon on the Mount, and Galatians 5 so why do you persist in lying about where we get it from???? We were promised a Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" but you insist on using the contradictory and inconsistent words "written in ink." You refuse to test the spirit of anything "written in ink" despite what we were told to do. You trust words "written in ink" instead of the guidance of the Holy Spirit to what God has "written in our hearts."
Doesn’t it strike you as odd that the writers of scripture, who claimed to be led by the same spirit as you claim, would write with such inconsistency? It’s like they slipped in and out of the spirit, like an AM radio with poor reception. Yet, a few posters on an internet board have perfect reception.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Doesn’t it strike you as odd that the writers of scripture, who claimed to be led by the same spirit as you claim, would write with such inconsistency? It’s like they slipped in and out of the spirit, like an AM radio with poor reception. Yet, a few posters on an internet board have perfect reception.
If you were truthful, Jimmie, you would know that some of the things you accept and support because they are "written in ink" actually offend what is "written in your heart." You just EXCUSE them and APOLOGIZE for them using "precepts and doctrines of men" about God's "mysterious ways" or "holiness" or "Justice" when no reasonable person would EVER consider them Holy or Just or even mysterious. Shame on you, Jimmie, for abandoning your heart and defending evil as good.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
If you were truthful, Jimmie, you would know that some of the things you accept and support because they are "written in ink" actually offend what is "written in your heart." You just EXCUSE them and APOLOGIZE for them using "precepts and doctrines of men" about God's "mysterious ways" or "holiness" or "Justice" when no reasonable person would EVER consider them Holy or Just or even mysterious. Shame on you, Jimmie, for abandoning your heart and defending evil as good.
It's what fundies do.

It's what fundies are.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:47 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Again...you take a SINGLE verse and build a doctrine on it. it does say he is holy, just, and righteous.
But as I stated it does not say He is righteousness, He is justice, He is holiness. It does say He is love.

And since Jesus summed up the entire OT by stating love God with all your mind and strength and heart, and love your neighbor as yourself, why do you add to it by stating you have to be "righteous," or "not believe in universalism?"

If one lives by love in all circumstances there is no sin that they can commit that will separate them from God.

Yet you lift Scripture from the Bible as much as anyone else---because the Bible remains contradictory on many subjects. But if one applies LOVE to every subject in the Bible, one will always make the choices Jesus made. The Bible is full of inconsistencies, hundreds if not thousands of them. The only way to "reconcile" them is to have a yard mark. For me that yard mark is Jesus. Anything, any action, any purpose that does not fit in with how God in the Flesh revealed Himself to us means nothing at all.

So what about universalism bothers you other than you "don't believe it." If God decides to save all is He somehow a lesser god than if He shows us all He can bring down fire and brimstone upon the greater part of humanity?

I would suggest you read the book of James slowly and carefully once again--and then again---and then a third time in hopes that you will absorb the importance of love above all other attributes.

As Paul said, "The greatest of these is love."

Old 06-29-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But as I stated it does not say He is righteousness, He is justice, He is holiness. It does say He is love.

And since Jesus summed up the entire OT by stating love God with all your mind and strength and heart, and love your neighbor as yourself, why do you add to it by stating you have to be "righteous," or "not believe in universalism?"

If one lives by love in all circumstances there is no sin that they can commit that will separate them from God.

Yet you lift Scripture from the Bible as much as anyone else---because the Bible remains contradictory on many subjects. But if one applies LOVE to every subject in the Bible, one will always make the choices Jesus made. The Bible is full of inconsistencies, hundreds if not thousands of them. The only way to "reconcile" them is to have a yard mark. For me that yard mark is Jesus. Anything, any action, any purpose that does not fit in with how God in the Flesh revealed Himself to us means nothing at all.

So what about universalism bothers you other than you "don't believe it." If God decides to save all is He somehow a lesser god than if He shows us all He can bring down fire and brimstone upon the greater part of humanity?

I would suggest you read the book of James slowly and carefully once again--and then again---and then a third time in hopes that you will absorb the importance of love above all other attributes.

As Paul said, "The greatest of these is love."

Old 06-29-2018, 04:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Warden is impressive, huh?...

Old 06-29-2018, 06:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Well, yes, it DOES strike me as odd, intil I look seriously into the early history od the church and the various controversies stirred up by people WITHIN that church and reflected in the scriptural record. Makes me wonder why ANYone would accept that record as authority.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
I’d like to see you reply to what I said, instead of side-stepping.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
My point is that you are making statements that there are people making statements about God that Scripture simply does not support. The only place they're getting it is from their own minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Did you have an issue with the statement that the spirit is love and to let love guide you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have not seen an answer to the question, ... yet?
It's as if, they are reluctant to commit themselves.
Perhaps he'll answer today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity