Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times

Advertisements

So do you believe pi is exactly equal to 3?

1 Kings 7:23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about

Do you believe woman must keep heads veiled to pray?

1 Corinthians 11:5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.

Can women speak (not preach) but speak in church. Or should they be silent not asking their minister any questions, only asking their husband later?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

I could go on and on, I could also point out the obvious birth narrative contradictions (The Holy family being is two places at the same time for example) My point is that no one I have veer met, no matter what they claim, treats every verse of the Bible as literal truth that must be obeyed. Everyone has some passages they are willing to set aside, usually for valid reasons such as being written to a specific audience, etc.

You are certainly entitled to your views. I similarly think you have a limited understanding of the Bible. Everything must be understood in the Historic, Literary, and Cultural context it was written in, even the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I am sorry, but you just do not understand what it means ...that the Bible is the word of God !
"Christians of all stripes" may say they believe that, but if they really do, they would not pick and choose what they believe and practice.
God will be the judge as to whether we are seeking to do His will, or if we are seeking to do our own. All christians "of every stripe" need to examine themselves to see if that is what they are doing, and that includes me and you.
As a Christian I do "examine" myself. Do you know what that word means in the Bible? Especially this verse? Use your lexicon, and you will be amazed.

2Cr 13:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified.

See, not everyone can read the Bible, and take the understanding that some would like them to take. I believe it is the written inspired of the Spirit, Word of God. ALL of it, and even some manuscripts that were not even included in the Book we have today. But I really believe so much is lost in translation. You asked me on another thread what group I belonged to. The reason I don't belong to a earth group, is that there are too many variant interpretations of the Word. The theologies are so much different and while for some they may seem small, to an outsider they are ludicrous. Washings, Layings, Eating, Dressing, Obeying, Conforming. Each with a set of rules that are not quite the same as the next. Some theologies even place them in "cult" status, while none are Berean and search and study the scriptures for THEMSELVES. I do. I pray before my readings for guidance from the Spirit who inspired them. This is no different than a artist revealing to you his painting, and though you looked at it before hand, you didn't SEE it or the inspiration behind it.

Some back round though not asked here, I still offer about my "group" history.
Baptized Lutheran.
Raised Catholic through early school, by stepfather.
Transplanted Presbyterian early after word by mother.
Born Again in a Baptist Church, by a uncle taking me.
Tried Methodist, Assemblies of God, and Nazarene.
Have looked into Jehovah's Witness, Mormanism, and Judaism through friends.
Finally, I gave up on the steeple completely.

Throughout my young life, I was indoctrinated into just about everything you can get your hands into, because I wanted so hard to believe that God was real, and that He loved me. I gave up! Went the worldly way, and fell from Grace, not that I was risen to start with. And I mean, not the worldly way as some would define it, but ALL the way DOWN. Pick a sin, and it was me. I broke every one of them, some so many times I lost count.
But God never forgot me. 20 years later I saw something. It was while reading of all things, Ellen G White, of the Seventh Day Advents. For me, and my intellect, is was fascinating. Her ideas about Satan, and the end of days blew me away. I didn't know people thought outside the "box", so to speak. See, even though I don't subscribe to her teachings, I actually learned by her, to BE taught. I didn't know that it was possible because of the "mainstream" religions these days. God used her thankfully, for His benefit, ME, which is to His Glory.
I had been watching the world with one eye open on the end times, as that was what EVERY Christian it seems were fascinated with. And though I was considered a CARNAL Christian, I still carried the label. Thank You Jesus, for not calling me home during that time. My knocking would have resonated throughout the heavens trying to get into that door. But God has more for me to do, and most importantly, to learn.

I have traveled down many paths that went far from the narrow one, while learning about God since then. But if the faith is kept pure, then He will guide you back onto the straight and narrow. I understand now why so many believe the way they do, especially the ones we call "cultic", or unorthodox. See, God hasn't pulled them back on the narrow, probably because the faith wasn't from a pure heart, and having learned a "new" thing about God, they instead sought to profit from this learning. Sad to be sure, but God works ALL things for His will, whether or not we understand them.

Take no man's word on anything, but Trust solely in your King to provide you the answers. He will! We have His Word on that.

Last edited by HotinAZ; 08-26-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
Billy Gramham said, "this is your manufacturers instruction manual"
He also said, "I not only believe the Bible is true, I even believe the leather is genuine"--I love that
I think when you accept Christ into your life is when the word of God comes alive. Before that it is just stories. Then when you see with spiritual eyes you are amazed.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Basic
Instruction
Before
Leaving
Earth

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
It's a book, written by regular men just like you or me. It's a book of fictional stories and nothing more. If you have any concrete proof of anything otherwise, please let me know.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Billy Gramham said, "this is your manufacturers instruction manual"
He also said, "I not only believe the Bible is true, I even believe the leather is genuine"--I love that
Ah but in recent years he has said things like.

“I’m not a literalist in the sense that every single jot and tittle is from the Lord. This is a little difference in my thinking through the years.”

Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
The bible is not just one book,,It is a whole library of 66 different books..Some are histories, some are fact, some are biographical, some are metaphoric, some are allegoric, some are poetic..These books were written over thousands of years, by people who had faith in a creator..I believe the very early books that are included in the bible present a history based on oral tradition..That is stories handed down from generation to generation to generation, before there was a written language. I believe God revealed himself to the ancient people, (in ways different than today, because the holy spirit had yet to be given to each of us)and they passed on their experiences as they saw and interpreted them..I believe that they explained each and every battle between tribes, each natural disaster, each personal tragedy as Gods wrath on their enemies, or on themselves..Thus we have the cruel-good, rewarding-punishing, loving-hating god of the old testament..I believe that the old testament was inspired by godly people based on their belief and faith in God..I believe God did have a hand in preserving the lineage of Christ and the prophecies concerning him..I believe he had a hand in preserving the historical facts of empires, places mentioned, etc...Because (again) of Christ..
It doesn't bother me anymore that some people call me a non-christian (Christ never used that term, it is manmade) It doesn't bother me any more that people say I can't believe SOME, but not ALL of the bible...I have the peace of God within me and that is what took me almost a lifetime to find.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
So do you believe pi is exactly equal to 3?

1 Kings 7:23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about

Do you believe woman must keep heads veiled to pray?

1 Corinthians 11:5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.

Can women speak (not preach) but speak in church. Or should they be silent not asking their minister any questions, only asking their husband later?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

I could go on and on, I could also point out the obvious birth narrative contradictions (The Holy family being is two places at the same time for example) My point is that no one I have veer met, no matter what they claim, treats every verse of the Bible as literal truth that must be obeyed. Everyone has some passages they are willing to set aside, usually for valid reasons such as being written to a specific audience, etc.

You are certainly entitled to your views. I similarly think you have a limited understanding of the Bible. Everything must be understood in the Historic, Literary, and Cultural context it was written in, even the Bible.
Hmmm, so I have a limited understanding of the Bible.... ???
I believe I understand the 1 Corinthians scriptures that you posted better than you. It is best to not take them out of context. The entire chapter is speaking of the time when they had the gifts of the Holy Spirit...the miraculous gifts. We no longer have those gifts. They were only passed on by the laying on of the apostle's hands.

Understanding the 1 King's scripture has nothing to do with our salvation, and I am not sure what your quoting it has to do with anything. It is still part of the word of God, but it is not anything that we need to be concerned about.

I have no idea what you are referring to about the birth ; the Holy (??)family being in two differant places at the same time.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM

HotinAZ, my scripture that you highlighted , about "examining themselves" was not a reference to the Corinthian's scripture, which is about partaking of the Lord's supper. Therefore your implication that I can not read the Bible does not hold water. The 'examining yourself" that I spoke of refers back to the previous sentences that I posted, not to a scripture !
As for the Corinthian's scripture that you quoted, it is frequently pointed out to our congregation what it means .
Your list of all the religious groups that you have been exposed to is impressive. Too bad you didn't trust the word of God to point you in the right direction. None of the religions that you mentioned are found in the Bible.

Your last sentence is correct:

"Take no man's word on anything, but Trust solely in your King to provide you the answers. He will! We have His Word on that."

IF you are referring to the word of God.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Basic
Instruction
Before
Leaving
Earth

I like that ILNC .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity