Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM

154 posts, read 242,324 times

Advertisements

Many people misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. This article shows quite conclusively that the Bible does not teach that.

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.
Some will say that something Jesus said or something he did while on the earth proves that he is God. We will show that the disciples never came to the conclusion that Jesus is God. And those are people who lived and walked with Jesus and thus knew first hand what he said and did. Furthermore, we are told in the Acts of the Apostles in the Bible that the disciples were being guided by the Holy Spirit. If Jesus is God, surely they should know it. But they did not. They kept worshipping the one true God who was worshipped by Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (see Acts 3:13).

All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.
Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).

Paul, believed to be the author of some thirteen or fourteen letters in the Bible, also believed that Jesus is not God. For Paul, God first created Jesus, then used Jesus as the agent by which to create the rest of creation (see Colossians 1:15 and 1 Corinthians 8:6). Similar ideas are found in the letter to the Hebrews, and also in the Gospel and Letters of John composed some seventy years after Jesus. In all of these writings, however, Jesus is still a creature of God and is therefore forever subservient to God (see 1 Corinthians 15:28).
Now, because Paul, John, and the author of Hebrews believed that Jesus was God's first creature, some of what they wrote clearly show that Jesus was a pre-existent powerful being. This is often misunderstood to mean that he must have been God. But to say that Jesus was God is to go against what these very authors wrote. Although these authors had this later belief that Jesus is greater than all creatures, they also believed that he was still lesser than God. In fact, John quotes Jesus as saying: "...the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28). And Paul declares that the head of every woman is her husband, the head of every man is Christ, and the head of Christ is God (see 1 Corinthians 11:3).
Therefore, to find something in these writings and claim that these teach that Jesus is God is to misuse and misquote what those authors are saying. What they wrote must be understood in the context of their belief that Jesus is a creature of God as they have already clearly said.

So we see then, that some of the later writers had a higher view of Jesus, but none of the writers of the Bible believed that Jesus is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, the one whom Jesus worshipped (see John 17: 3).

If you need any more proofs let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,061 times
Well, I'm glad you are reading the Bible, even if it's an attempt to disprove the divinity of Jesus.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,
but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.
Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Philippians 2:5-8

For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, Col 2:9

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

Then He *said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."
Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus *said to him,
"Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."
John 20:27-29

Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
2Peter 1:1

looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,
Titus 2:13

And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
1John 5:20

BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
Rev 1:7,8

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
Rev 22:13-6

Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
John 8:58

If one reads the Gospels translated from the Aramaic spoken by Jesus when He said “I AM”, you might grasp the weight of these two words.
The inference carried with those words translates them as: “I AM THE LIVING GOD”.
No one ever uttered the words “I am this” or “I am that”; the Jews of the day considered the words “I am” to be sacred.
http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_64/1404000/1404284/7/print/1404284.pdf (broken link)

You search the Scriptures to deny the Truth, but He came so that you may have life. (John 5:39-40)

Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us."
Jesus said to him,
"Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip?
He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

John 14:8,9

Last edited by Richio; 12-29-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Change in brown.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Hi, I believe that Jesus is the Word made flesh, the exact image or representation of the invisible God, reveals the invisible God, is the Son of God, has the right to be called God because God gave Him this right. God the Father gave Him the name above every name that at/in the name of Jesus every knee should bow. God the Father gave Him all authority. All things came into being through Jesus but all is out of the Father.

Jesus came forth from the Father, was sent by the Father, returned to the Father. He is to be subjected to the Father. The Father is greater that He is. When we "look" at Jesus, we "see" the invisible God.

Does absolute Deity have a Deity? Does absolute Deity worship another Deity? Is absolute Deity subject to another Deity? The Son will be subjected to the Father and this , for example, lets me know that one is Supreme.

John 5: 30 I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is righteous; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Who gave Jesus all authority? Who will be subjected to Whom according to 1 Corinthians 15?

God, who is all things, the Supreme Being, is subject to another God, a Supreme Being, who is all things? God, who has all authority is given authority by God who has all authority? How can one who is absolute Deity appeal to a Deity? Everything that Jesus has comes from the Father, doesn't it? Isn't He dependent on the Father? No one can give the Father anything that is not already His. So who is greater?

John 14
6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Have blessed day.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
If Jesus is not God then how are ALL (past, present, future) sins forgiven? How can a created being's sacrifice be sufficient enough to atone for sins against an infinite God?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
I believe the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Hi, Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. He was the perfect lamb slain but Jesus was the exact image of the invisible God. What is an image? One key thing to me is that the scriptures teach that Jesus will be subject to the Father. If He will be subject to the Father, how can He be the same as the Father? How can one who is absolute God be subject to an absolute God? God bless.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. He was the perfect lamb slain but Jesus was the exact image of the invisible God. What is an image? One key thing to me is that the scriptures teach that Jesus will be subject to the Father. If He will be subject to the Father, how can He be the same as the Father? How can one who is absolute God be subject to an absolute God? God bless.
Because there are roles and order in the Trinity

Ahhhh, the beauty of the Trinity, there is unity, majesty and mystery in the Trinity

Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Colossians 1:15 "Christ is the visible image of invisible God. He existed before God made anything at all and is supreme over all creation."
To me this is one of the strongest statements in the Bible that proves Jesus is not only equal to God, but He is God. He is the exact representation of God. He not only reflects God, but He reveals God to us. Of course as you know I believe in the Trinity so believing Jesus is God is easy for me.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM

How can one who is absolute God be subject to an absolute God? Jesus is the exact image of the invisible God and He came forth from the Father, Fundamentalist. He said that He could do nothing of Himself. All that He was and did came directly from the invisible God, His Father. They are not the same. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-29-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samankaru View Post
Many people misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. This article shows quite conclusively that the Bible does not teach that.

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.
Some will say that something Jesus said or something he did while on the earth proves that he is God. We will show that the disciples never came to the conclusion that Jesus is God. And those are people who lived and walked with Jesus and thus knew first hand what he said and did. Furthermore, we are told in the Acts of the Apostles in the Bible that the disciples were being guided by the Holy Spirit. If Jesus is God, surely they should know it. But they did not. They kept worshipping the one true God who was worshipped by Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (see Acts 3:13).

All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.
Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).

Paul, believed to be the author of some thirteen or fourteen letters in the Bible, also believed that Jesus is not God. For Paul, God first created Jesus, then used Jesus as the agent by which to create the rest of creation (see Colossians 1:15 and 1 Corinthians 8:6). Similar ideas are found in the letter to the Hebrews, and also in the Gospel and Letters of John composed some seventy years after Jesus. In all of these writings, however, Jesus is still a creature of God and is therefore forever subservient to God (see 1 Corinthians 15:28).
Now, because Paul, John, and the author of Hebrews believed that Jesus was God's first creature, some of what they wrote clearly show that Jesus was a pre-existent powerful being. This is often misunderstood to mean that he must have been God. But to say that Jesus was God is to go against what these very authors wrote. Although these authors had this later belief that Jesus is greater than all creatures, they also believed that he was still lesser than God. In fact, John quotes Jesus as saying: "...the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28). And Paul declares that the head of every woman is her husband, the head of every man is Christ, and the head of Christ is God (see 1 Corinthians 11:3).
Therefore, to find something in these writings and claim that these teach that Jesus is God is to misuse and misquote what those authors are saying. What they wrote must be understood in the context of their belief that Jesus is a creature of God as they have already clearly said.

So we see then, that some of the later writers had a higher view of Jesus, but none of the writers of the Bible believed that Jesus is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, the one whom Jesus worshipped (see John 17: 3).

If you need any more proofs let me know
...HOGWASH!!! YOU and those like you are ALL THE PROOF I NEED...just the fact that you try SOOO HARD to disproove it!!!!!! NOTHING you do or say will change the FACT that Jesus is THE HOLY SON OF THE LIVING GOD-ONE IN THE SAME-THE
HOLY TRINITY who knew me AND you BEFORE the foundations of the earth! AMEN! God bless!...Love in Christ Jesus our Savior, Lord, and King!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity