Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

"To hear is to understand or comprehend."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

I don't understand what Paul is conveying here. Of course, I understand the basic message, but the second "hearing by" I don't get. Is Paul saying:
1) Now faith comes by hearing the Word of God" or
2) Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God.

Or maybe something entirely different. Can someone please put this into plain English for me.
Not a grammar error IMO.

Most Christians think this passage means something like: Faith comes by hearing with your ears the gospel message [pssst... but really, it's up to your free will whether or not you have faith in it]

I believe "hearing" in this verse means "hearing with true understanding" and "by the Word of God" refers to power of the Word of God in our lives, including it's power to judge us.

Example: Jonah. The word of God came to Jonah... "Go testify to Nineveh!" He heard it with his ears, but did faith come? Not at all... Jonah ran from God's Word. But then, the Word of God actively judged Jonah. He found himself in the belly of hell. Only then did Jonah obtain faith to seek God and obey. So Jonah's faith did not come by hearing with his ears. Rather, faith came when he heard with understanding, and he heard with understanding when God's Word came and judged him.

There are many other examples as the above is the rule, not the exception. See Psalm 107. The redeemed of the Lord first hear (with their ears) the word of the Lord and they rejected it. Again, faith did not come by hearing. Upon rejecting the word of the Lord, the Word judges them. Only then do they hear the World of the Lord and seek God's mercy. Faith comes. Then God saves them.

So I understand that passage to mean "Faith comes by hearing-with-true-understanding, and hearing-with-true-understanding comes by the active power of God's Word on your life, including it's judgment.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 AM

Oh... I didnt realize the OP was so old... oh well.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaynor1 View Post
Now faith, we need now faith not yesterday's faith but now faith and it comes by hearing the word of God, and by building yourself up by praying in the Holy Ghost, in jude it speaks of this,man cannot live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, we need the word every day especially while it is today, God didn't save you to just be concerned about yourself, you need the now faith, for your family, friends, for all the people you come in contact with.
Now ignorance is bliss! Does that mean it is "Now Ignorance" that is bliss or is it the way we commonly use the word "now" to refer to a subject that does not mean what your trying to make that verse say? Come on, you know English better than that! Don't you?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Not a grammar error IMO.

Most Christians think this passage means something like: Faith comes by hearing with your ears the gospel message [pssst... but really, it's up to your free will whether or not you have faith in it]

I believe "hearing" in this verse means "hearing with true understanding" and "by the Word of God" refers to power of the Word of God in our lives, including it's power to judge us.

Example: Jonah. The word of God came to Jonah... "Go testify to Nineveh!" He heard it with his ears, but did faith come? Not at all... Jonah ran from God's Word. But then, the Word of God actively judged Jonah. He found himself in the belly of hell. Only then did Jonah obtain faith to seek God and obey. So Jonah's faith did not come by hearing with his ears. Rather, faith came when he heard with understanding, and he heard with understanding when God's Word came and judged him.

There are many other examples as the above is the rule, not the exception. See Psalm 107. The redeemed of the Lord first hear (with their ears) the word of the Lord and they rejected it. Again, faith did not come by hearing. Upon rejecting the word of the Lord, the Word judges them. Only then do they hear the World of the Lord and seek God's mercy. Faith comes. Then God saves them.

So I understand that passage to mean "Faith comes by hearing-with-true-understanding, and hearing-with-true-understanding comes by the active power of God's Word on your life, including it's judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Oh... I didnt realize the OP was so old... oh well.
It was a great post anyway.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It was a great post anyway.
Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Those who wish to learn will open up and listen- those without faith can have faith by hearing how it is achieved. Those who want to remain ignorant will close their ears to the message of faith.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,698 times
It's literally hearing the Word of God. If your preaching scripture people are listening to the truth and they might believe and the Holy Spirit may enter their life. I listened to a great Christian named Russ Dizdar at 4am on cocaine after spending the night discussing, debating and searching for, well the answers to life and purpose. I stumbled across a guy named Tsirian who's a real new ager who speaks a bit of truth about the manipulation of society, control etc and after about 2 hours just listening to this guy i suddenly remembered reading about the incarnation of the anti-christ and how he does so and what he does and this michael T well sounds like a good candidate, and i had this dark chill at the same time which was wierd. I instantly saw through evrything he said and then come across a guy, Chris White, who shows michael T is lying and he told me to check out Russ, who told me how to clear evil spirits or demons out of me for my life turned into a nightmare after a spiritual experience I had....

Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,698 times
with two mates where we partying; thats what we were told by psychics afterward. For two weeks we dabbled in dark spiritual power and IT WAS INSANE i was able to move objects like pens coins paper money to move by either energy from the tips of our fingers or these spirits. Anyway it plagued me for two years and then one night Russ Dizdar told me how to repent and renounce of what happened that night, close the doors, and instantly it left, this oppressive dark shroud which had ownership over me was lifted. So i'm now a believer because Christ lifted me from that. And I tried dealing with the demon I gave legal rights to that night but the only thing that saved me was Jesus, praise Christ. And I watched everyone named on Youtube and listened and I found God. I found Him because I needed too for I opened doors to satan in my life. You may not have the devil but he's there waiting for you as is Christ there buy you may not have him. So I urge you to read the Bible and pray to Christ for the Holy Spirit.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

I don't understand what Paul is conveying here. Of course, I understand the basic message, but the second "hearing by" I don't get. Is Paul saying:
1) Now faith comes by hearing the Word of God" or
2) Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God.

Or maybe something entirely different. Can someone please put this into plain English for me.
In plain English .... God gives us faith by hearing AND understanding his word (the Bible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity