Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

(NLT)1Peter 3:7
In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat her with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. If you don’t treat her as you should, your prayers will not be heard.

What are the obligations for men in the "treatment" of their wives? It seems to me our prayers go unanswered and thereby go unheard. Could it be as simple as being a godly man?
How can a man and a woman who both believe in Jesus Christ fail to fulfill their calling as a married couple? Why does the divorce rate among Christians differ little from non-Christians?

It's interesting to note... whether liberal or conservative, Jewish religious leaders had a much lower view of marriage than Jesus. All of these leaders, including the disciples, expected a good number of husbands to forsake their marriage vows, divorce their wives, and marry another wife. The question in their mind was not “if” divorce should occur, but only how petty the excuse would have to be to justify the divorce. So it seems we go full circle. So... what's the problem today? it's nothing new, apparently. Peter instructs husbands to “dwell with” their wives according to knowledge.

What is this "knowledge"?

Opinions are good... but please provide scripture for support. No need to post long sections of text, it's your thoughts I seek.

Thanks.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
I don't believe Christian marriages are failing. What are you basing this off?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

I hope you're right. Last I heard, Christian marriages end in divorce at about the same rate as the unsaved. That ought not to be. Maybe the statistic is wrong...
Hmmm....thinking back over the years, two of my pastors, and one evangelist, got divorced. Two remarried, but one of the pastors remains single.

Bud

Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I hope you're right. Last I heard, Christian marriages end in divorce at about the same rate as the unsaved. That ought not to be. Maybe the statistic is wrong...
Hmmm....thinking back over the years, two of my pastors, and one evangelist, got divorced. Two remarried, but one of the pastors remains single.

Bud

And they are still Pastors?
I rest my case. A true Christian will allow God to guide their marriage, committed to the covenant and do everything to make it work. NOW if the situations were infidelity, unequally yoked and similar then I could understand but if it is just, We couldn't make things work then one must wonder how much they allowed God in their marriage?

Who are these Christians, are they true Christians or self proclaimed Christians?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
A recent study by the Barna Research Group throws extreme doubt on these estimates. Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.
25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.
Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

George Barna, president and founder of Barna Research Group, commented:

"While it may be alarming to discover that born again Christians are more likely than others to experience a divorce, that pattern has been in place for quite some time. Even more disturbing, perhaps, is that when those individuals experience a divorce many of them feel their community of faith provides rejection rather than support and healing. But the research also raises questions regarding the effectiveness of how churches minister to families. The ultimate responsibility for a marriage belongs to the husband and wife, but the high incidence of divorce within the Christian community challenges the idea that churches provide truly practical and life-changing support for marriages."

There is a new report 2006 (Divorce care)... and the rates are about the same. The comments by the Barana group reflect how often we as Christians kill our wounded... and it shouldn't be.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
A recent study by the Barna Research Group throws extreme doubt on these estimates. Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.
25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.
Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

George Barna, president and founder of Barna Research Group, commented:

"While it may be alarming to discover that born again Christians are more likely than others to experience a divorce, that pattern has been in place for quite some time. Even more disturbing, perhaps, is that when those individuals experience a divorce many of them feel their community of faith provides rejection rather than support and healing. But the research also raises questions regarding the effectiveness of how churches minister to families. The ultimate responsibility for a marriage belongs to the husband and wife, but the high incidence of divorce within the Christian community challenges the idea that churches provide truly practical and life-changing support for marriages."

There is a new report 2006 (Divorce care)... and the rates are about the same. The comments by the Barana group reflect how often we as Christians kill our wounded... and it shouldn't be.
but what I would like to know is what their criteria is for a "born again" Christian?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:

And they are still Pastors?
I rest my case. A true Christian will allow God to guide their marriage, committed to the covenant and do everything to make it work. NOW if the situations were infidelity, unequally yoked and similar then I could understand but if it is just, We couldn't make things work then one must wonder how much they allowed God in their marriage?

Who are these Christians, are they true Christians or self proclaimed Christians?
Yep: they are both still pastors, and the evangelist is still an evangelist, and all three are still bringing people to salvation and knowledge of the gospel. Virtually everybody in that church (non-denominational) recognizes them as such, and so do I, although I no longer attend there. One pastor left that church and is now pastoring at a Four-Square church.

I understand your thought process: that you have doubts about them being Christians in the first place. I'm just saying there are those who would disagree...

Bud

Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yep: they are both still pastors, and the evangelist is still an evangelist, and all three are still bringing people to salvation and knowledge of the gospel. Virtually everybody in that church (non-denominational) recognizes them as such, and so do I, although I no longer attend there. One pastor left that church and is now pastoring at a Four-Square church.

I understand your thought process: that you have doubts about them being Christians in the first place. I'm just saying there are those who would disagree...

Bud
No..no....no....no...no...no...no. I am not saying that. one must ask how much they allowed God to rule their marriage is what I am asking.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
but what I would like to know is what their criteria is for a "born again" Christian?
I think it's safe to say... "born again" is usually a self indicated claim.

but back to my question ... "what is this knowledge"? in 1Peter .

Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I think it's safe to say... "born again" is usually a self indicated claim.

but back to my question ... "what is this knowledge"? in 1Peter .

I searched and found their criteria
, “Born again Christians" were defined in these surveys as people who said they have made "a personal commitment to Jesus Christ that is still important in their life today" and who also indicated they believe that when they die they will go to Heaven because they had confessed their sins and had accepted Jesus Christ as their savior. Respondents were not asked to describe themselves as "born again." Being classified as "born again" is not dependent upon church or denominational affiliation or involvement.

Sorry but sadly these are cliches now not to mention 21% are Catholics, 24% Mormons. I am not trying to be a damper on your thread. It's just that I believe very strongly that if a couple or family allows the Holy Spirit to lead them nothing can't be overcome.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 04-07-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity