Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

Board member, Fundamentalist said this:

Quote:
The bible is clear that if you hear something from Him be sure it is in line with scripture because God will never contradict Himself...
I used to hear this ALL the time and still hear it here and there, but what does this really mean? Does the bible have a precedent for EVERYTHING you think you "hear" from god? If I claim that god told me to kill my son and I get up on my roof in broad daylight in view of all my neighbors, can I claim that my actions "line up with scripture" because there is biblical precedent? As far as we can tell I would be better than Abraham because he had NO precedent or even "scripture" to line up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
The statement is posturing ones personal beliefs, it can be made from any point of view that builds cases with scriptural study.

If I disagree with you , you can say, that doesn't align with scripture, if you disagree with me I can say the same thing and nothing has really been accomplished.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The statement is posturing ones personal beliefs, it can be made from any point of view that builds cases with scriptural study.

If I disagree with you , you can say, that doesn't align with scripture, if you disagree with me I can say the same thing and nothing has really been accomplished.
Which is all that happens with out the other piece of the puzzle. Tradition.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
I believe God's ways are as diverse as we are, if not more. Compound that with the fact that the Bible is one thick book, and one can defend some pretty off the wall opinions.

We have to be led of the Spirit, and that is one big intangible.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Does the bible have a precedent for EVERYTHING you think you "hear" from god?

NO, the Bible does not predict everything you may think He is telling you in the future.
However nothing you believe God is telling you now can stand against what god has in the Bible.

In other words...You will not be told to do something that goes against a clear teaching in the Bible

As far as we can tell I would be better than Abraham because he had NO precedent or even "scripture" to line up with.

If you read what Abraham said to his son before they went up the hill, you will see the sign that Abraham knew God would provide the sacrifice.
Im not sure Abraham knew how this would happen, but he seems to have faith that God would not ask too much of him or his son.

And in the end, Abraham was correct, and a ram was found and was killed just as he told his son before hand.

any questions?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
any questions?
I can understand with this, Alan:

Quote:
In other words...You will not be told to do something that goes against a clear teaching in the Bible.

Now, what if 'in the end' Abraham was WRONG as just about every single soul before, during and after, killing their children as a "sacrifice" or because they think they are possessed by demons or because god/satan told them to has been wrong. Abraham is the only lucky stiff who has gotten a free pass on this one, right? Everyone else who has done such a thing or attempted to do so, we consider mentally unstable.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:

Now, what if 'in the end' Abraham was WRONG ....
All we know for sure is that Abraham was not wrong.

notice in the story what Abraham says:
Genesis 22:8 "Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering,

So Abraham knew God well enough to trust that something unknown yet will happen, and that God will provide a lamb to be killed and not his son.

So Abraham had faith.

Now there are always a lot more"what if?" type questions that we can dream up answers for.
All I know for sure is what i read, and in the story i read that Abraham clearly had faith in the fact that somehow God would provide a 'lamb"

Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Board member, Fundamentalist said this:

I used to hear this ALL the time and still hear it here and there, but what does this really mean? Does the bible have a precedent for EVERYTHING you think you "hear" from god? If I claim that god told me to kill my son and I get up on my roof in broad daylight in view of all my neighbors, can I claim that my actions "line up with scripture" because there is biblical precedent? As far as we can tell I would be better than Abraham because he had NO precedent or even "scripture" to line up with.
I understand what you are saying but God will never tell you to do something against the bible.

Now in Abraham case, you have to understand what God was doing. Yes, God told Him to sacrifise, His Son, but God only did so to test Abrahams Faith. God knows everything before we even do it. So, He already knew the outcome.

Also if you read about Solomon who had wisdom from God:

two prostitutes came before Solomon to resolve a quarrel about which of them was the true mother of a baby. (The other's baby died in the night and each claims the surviving child as hers.) When Solomon suggests dividing the living child in two with a sword, the true mother is revealed to him because she is willing to give up her child to the lying woman rather than have the child killed. Solomon then declares the woman who shows the compassion is the true mother and hands the child to her.

Now in this story, Yes, Solomon told them to divide the bady in half, because He knew that the real mother couldn't stand to see her bady cut in half and it would reveal who the mother was.

So, as you see when you read you have to understand why something is being said and why it is being done.

If I was to read this with little understanding, I would say, oh my God told this guy to divide the bady in half, not knowing or understanding what God is trying to reveal about the lying women.

I know you don't believe in God, but atleast understand the background of the story and what or why something is being done. People who don't even bother to understand or even want to, misinterpret what is going on, then to later go off and tell what is not really being done is scripture.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I understand what you are saying but God will never tell you to do something against the bible.

Now in Abraham case, you have to understand what God was doing. Yes, God told Him to sacrifise, His Son, but God only did so to test Abrahams Faith. God knows everything before we even do it. So, He already knew the outcome.

Also if you read about Solomon who had wisdom from God:

two prostitutes came before Solomon to resolve a quarrel about which of them was the true mother of a baby. (The other's baby died in the night and each claims the surviving child as hers.) When Solomon suggests dividing the living child in two with a sword, the true mother is revealed to him because she is willing to give up her child to the lying woman rather than have the child killed. Solomon then declares the woman who shows the compassion is the true mother and hands the child to her.

Now in this story, Yes, Solomon told them to divide the bady in half, because He knew that the real mother couldn't stand to see her bady cut in half and it would reveal who the mother was.

So, as you see when you read you have to understand why something is being said and why it is being done.

If I was to read this with little understanding, I would say, oh my God told this guy to divide the bady in half, not knowing or understanding what God is trying to reveal about the lying women.

I know you don't believe in God, but atleast understand the background of the story and what or why something is being done. People who don't even bother to understand or even want to, misinterpret what is going on, then to later go off and tell what is not really being done is scripture.
Amen....wonderful explanation.....Miss Shawn!
Like you said, "God knows everything before we even do it. So, He already knew the outcome." Yes, I believe He would never knowing that an individuals faith is immature or weak in Him by testing their faith to that extreme in asking that individual to sacrifice their child....Knowing their immaturity of understanding Him (His nature) and His word.

~The Lord never misguides us, especially out side of His word!!! Whenever we are tested or whatever, He will always, always guide us according and to His word.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Let me press this a little more then.

If god does not tell people something that is NOT in scripture, what about telling people something in one place and then telling then something in another? For example, "do not kill (murder)" in one place and then [allegedly] telling Moses, for example, in other places, to murder people in the name of revenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity