Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times

Advertisements

Why do some Protestants try to convert Christians to their particular brand of faith? This is especially true in Latin America where vast sums of money and time are devoted to this practice. I have also seen it here in the U.S. where I personally have been approached numerous times during my life. It seems to be a practice mostly of Evangelicals, Baptists and Mormons. I thought a basic tenant of Protestantism was that if a person was baptized and accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior that they were guaranteed a place in Heaven. If that is true why do they do this?

Last edited by Sandhillian; 01-19-2010 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Why do some Protestants try to convert Christians to their particular brand of faith? This is especially true in Latin America where vast sums of money and time are devoted to this practice. I have also seen it here in the U.S. where I personally have been approached numerous times during my life. It seems to be a practice mostly of Evangelicals, Baptists and Mormons. I thought a basic tenant of Protestantism was that if a person was baptized and accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior that they were guaranteed a place in Heaven. If that is true why do they do this?
It's true that is a tenet among many Christians but scripturally it is extremely important to have the right understanding for example I was baptized as a child, I believe Jesus is my saviour but He is but one way and you can get to heaven by being a good person and doing good things furthermore I believe that Allah is Jehovah and Jesus was a great prophet to show us how we can earn our way to heaven. Am I a Christian? and before you answer that read all of 1st John.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-19-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Protestants try to convert christians because they are usually filled with the Holy Spirit and they believe that other christians are not free to be filled with the Holy Spirit.... People who are filled with the Holy Spirit are all Saints so they do not look to other Christians for their Sainthood to bless them,,,,they want to bless other with their ideas....... This is the biggest problem that the Pope in Rome said, that the Roman Catholics are complete in the Lord,,,, were as the Protestant church that is at odds with them have a non complete Christianity,,,,or they are not whole in Christ with their indifference against the Roman Catholic,,,,,, were the Roman Catholic must bless the Protestians and have no ought against them and be whole in Christ. .... His words were not received and were rejected by the protestants....... Protestants must bless the Roman Catholic and be bless by The Lord with will give him honor.......... Protestants must realize that there are many people in all the Churches of Jesus Christ that are not saved, just as there are people in all these Churches that all very much saved,,, and Jesus said the disciple Peter ,, Do not reject the people who I have cleaned,,,,,,All the different Churches must all so understand that all these people that Jesus saved in the all these different church will be together at the Rapture and in Heaven with The Lord God forevermore............

Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM

33 posts, read 68,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
furthermore I believe that Allah is Jehovah and Jesus was a great prophet to show us how we can earn our way to heaven.
I will read 1st John but after praying that the Lord would reveal his true Diety to me I was given the following scripture.

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us."

Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
, I believe Jesus is my saviour but He is but one way and you can get to heaven by being a good person and doing good things furthermore I believe that Allah is Jehovah and Jesus was a great prophet to show us how we can earn our way to heaven.
You've got to be kidding.....

Quote:
, Am I a Christian? .
No.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Because Mormonism doesn't believe in the same Jesus as the Evangelicals and Baptists do. LDS use Christian terms but have all together meaning and implications. Most of LDS (historically) never wanted the term "Christian" because Christianity as taught was an abomination...creeds and all.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because Mormonism doesn't believe in the same Jesus as the Evangelicals and Baptists do. LDS use Christian terms but have all together meaning and implications. Most of LDS (historically) never wanted the term "Christian" because Christianity as taught was an abomination...creeds and all.
You're a funny guy, twin.spin.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 PM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Why do some Protestants try to convert Christians?
Ummm, Protestants ARE Christians...So if there is any attempted "converting" being done is is simply from one branch of christianity to another. However, apparently, going from one branch of christianity to another is just about as extreme a conversion as going from Orthodox Jew to Roman Catholic; at least according to the extreme differences of tenets/beliefs that I've so far seen on this thread alone. I swear I think christians are more separated from each other in beliefs and doctrines than atheists are from theists. Never would I have guessed that any one religion could somehow entrap so many believers, each and all SO diametrically opposed to each other- to where it shouldn't even make sense....oh wait- it DOESN'T make sense! But then that's the beauty of organized religion, it's all about following, and nothing to do with thinking...

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
It's true that is a tenet among many Christians but scripturally it is extremely important to have the right understanding for example I was baptized as a child, I believe Jesus is my saviour but He is but one way and you can get to heaven by being a good person and doing good things furthermore I believe that Allah is Jehovah and Jesus was a great prophet to show us how we can earn our way to heaven. Am I a Christian? and before you answer that read all of 1st John.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, ''I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by Me.''

Acts 4:12 ''And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.''

Titus 3:5 He saved us NOT ON THE BASIS OF DEEDS WHICH WE HAVE DONE in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6) whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.

allah is not Jehovah. And the koran says allah has no son.

Is Allah God's name

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 AM

696 posts, read 915,380 times
Quote:

I would suggest you apply which denomination as clearly Protestant is wide with denomination. Also, of note is the clear attempts of conversions into false teachings and cults. Or a person who is in a false teaching or cult that needs to come out to Christ. There are many implications in this time and age. To apply Protestant is more than just calling something Protestant. You have to understand what your dealing with. Many claim to be Protestant, but are not even Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity